WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat totaled - Fire....careful of the battery tenders you install...(Powermania)

mbrown2

Reaction score
I went back and forth about posting this but this site is about sharing one's experience and my recent boating experience has been less than stellar. Some background; we have owned a lot of boats from Eliminator, Schiada, and DCB's. However it was our 2004 Malibu 23 Wakesetter which was the work horse, ride or die, and always got the most use which was basically floating Parker and a taxi to the floating establishments (15 yrs/500+hrs). Well it was the workhorse until it caught fire and has since been totaled by our insurance company due to it being unable to repair.

Rewind to prior to Memorial Day when I had the boat serviced at So Cal Speed and Marine (great guys great work) and after they were done we had them deliver the boat to Ron's In Your Audio which was going to troubleshoot amp/speaker connection as we had speakers cut out in open bow. They had boat for a week or so and during the visit there they asked me if I wanted to install a new battery switch and onboard battery charger. I have known Ron since 2002ish…so I thought yeah…it would be more convenient to use an onboard charger versus the outboard chargers I had been using for 15 years so they installed a new switch and battery charger.

Fast forward to Memorial Day where we use the boat, replaced one of the large Odyssey's and even had Ron's team help with that. Use the boat Memorial Day and put it away and plug into the new charger for the first time.

Fast forward to June 21st where we are back out for a week visit….I go to get the boat to take back up to Ron's to switch out to a new head unit. As a I'm pulling back the cover I notice black streaks on the interior as I peel back the cover more I can smell smoke…as I lift the battery hatch I can see a fire had started in that area and that area is completely burned out. It looks as though a fire started but put itself out due to lack of oxygen from hatch being closed, and cover being on. I am little in shock.. I call Ron's and he is out of country till end of month, but I explain the situation and that I won't be bringing it by but I will bring it by later so they can see it take pics and figure out next steps. I tell them if they talk to Ron please have him call me.

I take it by Ron's later that day and let them take some pics and they said they would let Ron know and call the battery charger company (Powermania) and get them involved. I let them know I would likely turn it in to my insurance and then they could deal with my insurance company as I could not wait for Ron to return and I want to get the repair or next steps underway.

I called my insurance company and they got an adjuster assigned within 2 days. They had to bring it back to Malibu in SoCal for a full assessment and hired a Fire Cause expert come to perform an investigation.

The fire investigator came out and inspected the boat. They found battery charger or the install to be the cause and once the Malibu assessment was done they would possibly do forensics on the power charger. He said it might not even have flamed up but it got so hot it did damage like flames, it also had lot of smoke…being covered helped. He thought the short or whatever was causing the issue tripped the breaker inside the garage. Malibu did their assessment and said the boat was unrepairable. When they added up cost of engine harness damage, electrical, interior replacement and all the other components; they ruled it unrepairable. Ron's did notify PowerMania and one of their engineer's called me. I let him know when/where he could see/observe the boat and they never made it out.

Ron did call me ay after his insurance was notified by mine. Ron was sorry this happened. He feels confident it was not install as they have installed many of these devices. Hopefully the insurance will do a forensic of the device and figure it out.

The boat has since been totaled and we had a fixed value policy and were paid out quickly. State Farm did an amazing job and I would recommend them. They will now go after the insurance companies of the installer and device to figure out cause / liability.

I have had other types of chargers installed in boats before….and never had an issue. But I would not have that charger installed again… Hopefully others will have a better experience. They are supposed to have features built in to shut off if they get hot and even fire suppression features if flame is to start but none of the protection worked.

Boats can be replaced and it would have never been the same which is why they said it was unrepairable. We are just blessed that it did not get more involved and burn down the storage unit and other 6 storage units attached. That would have been horrific.

We will have a new boat by labor day but it definitely won't replace the memories of the old boat….but we will make some new ones.

Will post some before and after pics..

mbrown2

Reaction score
Malibu 1.jpg
Battery 1.JPG
Battery 2.JPG

4Waters

Reaction score
I never use those type of chargers for this exact reason, I've seen multiple houses burn down because of these chargers.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Damn....that coulda been reaaaaaally bad...damage wise.

NOTSOFAST

Reaction score
When you say those types of chargers, what do you mean? That is a pretty common type for on-board applications. Is there something better than that type? I've actually never heard of the fires caused by them as I thought they had thermal protection at a much lower temp than what clearly happened to the OP's boat. I'd like to know more about this.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
As a builder/installer I have seen this happen. It looks like a ton of heat was rising out of the perko switch, has anyone looked closely at that? Wish I was closer and had the opportunity to look it over for educational purposes. Please keep us posted what the "smoking gun" was and look forward to seeing the new bote

Ladsm

Reaction score
yuck, I kill all power every time I park the boat. You got lucky. Someone is gonna get a smoking deal (Sorry) on a totalled boat and fix it pretty easy.

Taboma

Reaction score

Socalx09

Reaction score
Yup found that one as well --- here's the pic and brief description for the group View attachment 786446
I hope for power mania sake that wasn’t part of their “new and improved design of onboard chargers” like they claimed in their thread to prevent fires. It says the new versions were shipping in NOV 2018.
587A5808-A727-45A7-9C47-5F35B9756C7E.png

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
This why I never leave a charger on anything if I am not there with it. Have only charged a boat battery a couple times in 25 years.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Probably not any better, but I have a MinnKota Charger that is outside the boat.. but sits right next to the boat in the garage. The net result of a charger malfunction would likely be the same.

Sorry for your loss, but glad the replacement process is relatively painless.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Ho-lee-fuk!

I thought, at first, the pictures were a shadow of a tree casting across the stern.

I have no idea how that wasn’t worse but thank god it wasn’t.

I’d be really bummed about the boat but it could’ve been much much worse. Thank you for sharing this experience. I’ve always been leery of those chargers but never heard of a bad experience until now.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I have a rule that I don’t leave any Chinese devices powered up while unattended....except maybe a low wattage solar panel that can’t make enough electricity to hurt anything.

USMC2010

Reaction score
I've never heard of Powermania, I would never run something largely unknown for something like that.

mbrown2

Reaction score
Yup found that one as well --- here's the pic and brief description for the group View attachment 786446

We had this model (link below)..as we needed a 3 bank as we had another Odyssey 1700 on the other side of the boat...I did not research them before Ron's had asked if I was interested in installing one....I assumed they were familiar and left it in their hands. A mistake I hopefully won't make again. Its crazy after a quick search you see others have had issues as well. It could be install as well. I had a very simple on/on battery switch they changed to what you see. The reason I had it that way was cause we also had a 200 amp isolater between starting and stereo batteries so I never needed the 4 position switch...it was very simple. When they put the charger in with the new 4 way switch that is when the issue came up first time being used.

http://www.powermaniausa.com/m320v2.html

Last edited:

mbrown2

Reaction score
Probably not any better, but I have a MinnKota Charger that is outside the boat.. but sits right next to the boat in the garage. The net result of a charger malfunction would likely be the same.

Sorry for your loss, but glad the replacement process is relatively painless.

For 15 years I had been using same type as you outboard chargers...very simple trickle low voltage types and never had an issue...When I did it was due to a charger going stupid and it would fault and not charge....definitely something different in this one. I will post some pics of the new boat...probably have it the end of this week.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Good info. I will look and see what brand I have, although I was under the impression mine was a charger and a tender so it’s not something you leave plugged in at all times. I typically pull my boat home the night before we hit the water and plug it in overnight. I always open the cover and hatch so there is airflow.

gqchris

Reaction score
I also run my "Battery Tender" branded chargers outside the boat because I always fear this scenario. This just sucks!

Powermania, who picked that name? Fire that marketing person ASAP!

mbrown2

Reaction score
I also run my "Battery Tender" branded chargers outside the boat because I always fear this scenario. This just sucks!

Powermania, who picked that name? Fire that marketing person ASAP!

I run the same outboard chargers as that is what Odyssey used to recommend prior to them making their own.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
I usually pull the batteries and intermittently trickle charge them at home. I was getting comfortable with the idea of just putting the trickle on it this winter. Guess that's not going to happen.

Taboma

Reaction score
This is no 1.25A - 3.0A battery tender, it's a multi-bank 20 A (or less model # depending) charger. We ran multi-bank chargers forever in ocean boats, but they were old-school with large HD Transformers and fully vented enclosures, yet still marine rated. Never had any issues or concerns.

The only fully potted solid state ones I run are the small 1.5A tenders and I always make sure they're on a non-combustible surface outside of the boat, jetski or SxS.
Never had any problems, even in the Havasu heat.

ElAzul

Reaction score
the only on board I will use is Dual Pro. On my boat and fire engines.
http://www.dualpro.com/
Here is a gem that I luckily caught at a fire station with a bunch of fireman that didn't have a clue it was about to burn the whole place down. Not to mention they have the nicest fleet of equipment in the county by far. Charger was fine I think the terminals were loose on the plug being yanked on over and over
IMG_20190208_122349631.jpg
IMG_20190208_122349631.jpg

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
That's crazy, sucks! I actually never have any chargers hooked up to the boat. I always just unplug the negative terminals when storing. I had a really good Die Hard Battery for 6+ years with doing this. It only died when I left plugged in during the winter on accident.

Have an Optima now doing the same thing, its been almost 2 years. Hope for another 4 or 5.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
This is no 1.25A - 3.0A battery tender, it's a multi-bank 20 A (or less model # depending) charger. We ran multi-bank chargers forever in ocean boats, but they were old-school with large HD Transformers and fully vented enclosures, yet still marine rated. Never had any issues or concerns.

The only fully potted solid state ones I run are the small 1.5A tenders and I always make sure they're on a non-combustible surface outside of the boat, jetski or SxS.
Never had any problems, even in the Havasu heat.
Good to know. Thanks Taboma. I have (8) Deltran 1.25A 12V battery tenders for my boat, rhino, golf cart and Tahoe that I leave plugged in year round. Sometimes I go a month without being at my Havasu house. :eek:

Last edited:

coz

-------------------
Reaction score
Damn! Sorry to hear this Mike, that was a very nice boat. Glad you were paid out quickly, I'm sure the replacement will be like your other boats...bad ass!

Taboma

Reaction score
Good to know. Thanks Taboma. I have (8) Deltran 1.25A 12V battery tenders for my boat, rhino, golf cart and Tahoe that I leave plugged in year round. Sometimes I go a month without being at my Havasu house. :eek:

Like you, I should own stock in Deltran and just buy that All American Battery shop in Havasu, lol :p I've not had a single problem with a Deltran, a few cheaper models years ago I discovered weren't actually shutting off and might have lead to premature battery failure.

I will pass along a tip the guy at All American Battery shared ---- plug your battery tenders into a timer (Just inexpensive plug in types), so it limits them to an hour or at most two, a day. This way, should the trickle charger fail to fully shut off for any reason, it won't overcharge the battery. Since in most cases, we're just trickle charging them to compensate for normal discharge and any milli-amp electronic loads, this will be sufficient to maintain them.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Like you, I should own stock in Deltran and just buy that All American Battery shop in Havasu, lol :p I've not had a single problem with a Deltran, a few cheaper models years ago I discovered weren't actually shutting off and might have lead to premature battery failure.

I will pass along a tip the guy at All American Battery shared ---- plug your battery tenders into a timer (Just inexpensive plug in types), so it limits them to an hour or at most two, a day. This way, should the trickle charger fail to fully shut off for any reason, it won't overcharge the battery. Since in most cases, we're just trickle charging them to compensate for normal discharge and any milli-amp electronic loads, this will be sufficient to maintain them.
Another good tip. Thanks.. I will buy a few timers. Only need 2 hours a day?

I bought 2 batteries from All American Battery this year. His son is supposed to take over the business.:)

Reactions: DWC

Wayn-o

Reaction score
I have seen or heard too many bad stories of chargers catching fire. I wont even leave tool battery chargers plugged in when I am not around them. Been using the solar powered battery tender trickle charger for about 8 years. I may be wrong, but I dont think it can cause the overcharging issues that other chargers can.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
FYI... if you like the boat... you could buy it back from the insurance company..at a LOWWWW cost.. it will not be insurable.... but more than likely... the $$$$ collected will give you a CLEAN Boat!!!

I did the same on my old man Harley... they totaled it... the actual repair cost was about .25 on the dollar...

good luck... sorry to read your misfortunes

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
FYI... if you like the boat... you could buy it back from the insurance company..at a LOWWWW cost.. it will not be insurable.... but more than likely... the $$$$ collected will give you a CLEAN Boat!!!

I did the same on my old man Harley... they totaled it... the actual repair cost was about .25 on the dollar...

good luck... sorry to read your misfortunes

opps... i was looking at the before pics.... did not see the damaged pics.....
still an option tho....

4Waters

Reaction score
When you say those types of chargers, what do you mean? That is a pretty common type for on-board applications. Is there something better than that type? I've actually never heard of the fires caused by them as I thought they had thermal protection at a much lower temp than what clearly happened to the OP's boat. I'd like to know more about this.
Trickle chargers like battery tender etc.....

Justfishing

Reaction score
A good battery will loose very little charge, I think putting in a switch that allows the batteries to be isolated from parasitic drains is a good idea. Then a charger on a timer will top of a battery and after that it is not needed.

Being from the midwest with guys that need to winterize. I get a lot of push back on charging and disconnecting the battery for winter storage. A good battery that is fully charged will not freeze. The colder the battery the less it will lose a charge in storage with out a draw. If at the end of winter your battery took a crap it wasnt from the cold and not being trickled charged.

In storage you have the chance of a battery going bad as it could at any time and being on a charger allowing it to cause many problems or a charger going bad. Either case can cause a fire or other electrical issues,

Get it back to a full charge and isolated from parasitic looses and you dont need a trickle charger.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I have seen or heard too many bad stories of chargers catching fire. I wont even leave tool battery chargers plugged in when I am not around them. Been using the solar powered battery tender trickle charger for about 8 years. I may be wrong, but I dont think it can cause the overcharging issues that other chargers can.

Yes it can fail in the exact same way. It is basically exactly the same trickle battery charger and every other trickle charger.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Man that does blow. Some boats require chargers, especially the ones that live in the water. Like gramps above, I am a huge fan of Dual Pro Brand chargers and put a 45amp one on my Formula when my old "mailbox" charger (Charles chargers) took a shit. I strongly recommend them to any of my customers thinking about a charger/maintainer. They are completely auto sensing as to battery type and capacity, they are also the only chargers I know of where you can mix and match different battery types without issue (not that I ever do on my boats). They are pricey though

Another popular charger I see a lot is the pronautic line by promariner. Imo opinion not as good as a dual pro but I have installed them by request and they are my boss' preferred charger. Equally pricey though. He let's me spec dual pros after the very first one he made me use had a failed programming function right out of the gate. You also have to use all like batteries with these, but you are open to choose which type.

Best of luck on your new boat adventures! Maybe RD has another one hes looking to sell :rolleyes:

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Another good tip. Thanks.. I will buy a few timers. Only need 2 hours a day?

I bought 2 batteries from All American Battery this year. His son is supposed to take over the business.:)

If your batteries are good, a 2 hour trickle charge a day should keep them fully charged. If they have low voltage, they are on their way out anyway.

Deckin Around

Reaction score
Hopefully the insurance will do a forensic of the device and figure it out.
... They will now go after the insurance companies of the installer and device to figure out cause / liability.
No, they won't. They will just write it off for that amount and go collect the next policy check.

Have a great time new boat shopping.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
An onboard charger needs a remote temp sensor to be considered for full time - I don't see one on that model posted.

For onboard style - Im sold on the delta volt (make the dual pro gramps and shlbynytro are talking about) at 18 amps you can ping the charger with your phone and see what status is - the ultimate for a rental boat charger.

Gramps originally recommended the line to me and it was a solid tip.

For throw downs - Ive had incredible luck with the optimate 6 - it can cover everything from a small motorcycle battery to an 8D.

UD

rrrr

Reaction score
Here is a gem that I luckily caught at a fire station with a bunch of fireman that didn't have a clue it was about to burn the whole place down. Not to mention they have the nicest fleet of equipment in the county by far. Charger was fine I think the terminals were loose on the plug being yanked on over and over View attachment 786483 View attachment 786483

It wasn't from being pulled on. Look at the indentation on the cord jacket. The clamp on the plug was tightened correctly and working properly.

The melting was caused by heat generated by the conductor, and the heat occurred because the installer left half of the strands outside the blade screw. :rolleyes:

Regarding the boat, do you see the dark black spots on the top of the battery covers and on the carpet above them? That's bits of molten conductors destroyed by electrical arcing. There was some serious shit going on, fortunately the fire went out because of oxygen starvation. If the interior and upholstery material had burned through and breached the boat cover, it would have been game over.

It's good to hear your insurance company stepped up.

Last edited:

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
You really have to ask yourself are the extra musical electronics necessary to have a good time on the water.

Just saying.
Carry on. ;)

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
We run a 2 bank Nocco on board charger and it is designed to be plugged in 24/7 when not around in order to maintain the batteries.

There are multiple layers of safety built into it which are designed to avoid these situations.

This could have been a lot worse. If I was Ron, I would be calling everyone that got one of these installed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

rrrr

Reaction score
If your batteries are good, a 2 hour trickle charge a day should keep them fully charged. If they have low voltage, they are on their way out anyway.

That's not true for batteries that power a big audio system all day. If the batteries are discharged more than 20-30%, a three step charge from an electronically controlled charger is required for maximum battery life.

More info:

https://www.emarineinc.com/Marine-Batteries-Maintenance-101

A depth of discharge (DOD) voltage table:

https://www.energymatters.com.au/components/battery-voltage-discharge/

ElAzul

Reaction score
It wasn't from being pulled on. Look at the indentation on the cord jacket. The clamp on the plug was tightened correctly and working properly.

The melting was caused by heat generated by the conductor, and the heat occurred because the installer left half of the strands outside the blade screw. :rolleyes:
I tugged on the wire and the strands fell out like that

rrrr

Reaction score
Then I guess the screw being loose caused it. I should quit trying to diagnose stuff from viewing a photo.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I run the pro mariner line for my boat. Wasn’t cheap but very good charger

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing. It could have been much worse. Time for a new boat!