WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat towels

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score
Saw that a few people were having some problems with towels not absorbing and streaking.
dryer sheets and chemicals are the devil!
here some good info to clean thing up a little!

BajaMike

Reaction score
Saw that a few people were having some problems with towels not absorbing and streaking.

Great website. Great prices and selection. Thanks!

DB / HAV

Reaction score
Don’t do this with microfiber towels, when cleaning and drying microfiber:
No heat (washing or drying)
No fabric softener (washing or drying)
and no bleach

We use a lot of microfiber towels in/on the boat. Fabric softener detergent or dryer sheets makes the towels soft and non-absorbent.

Great article above, thank You!!

DB / HAV

Reaction score
Where do you buy good quality boat towels?

ATKpilot

Reaction score

Great info, learn something new ever damn day ...thanks!

rrrr

Reaction score
We quit using fabric softener and dryer sheets on our towels years ago. It's a big improvement in performance, no more streaks.

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score
I use old bathroom towels to dry the boat after a wash, they have only seen laundry detergent.
Any hotsauce is done with the yellow microfiber.... again detergent only.
tide and a lot of the other packs have softener built on, so the cheapest detergent might be the best for towels

melvinjoe

Reaction score
Caring microfiber towels are very essential to protect their absorbency !! Wash Microfiber towels without adding fabric softener to protect the strength of Fiber.

traquer

Reaction score
I've had good luck purchasing beach-towel sized microfiber towels. Agree on no softner whatsoever. Never tried cold wash and air dry might do that if it's better and makes them last longer

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
Dropped microfiber towels become rags. As mentioned above do not use heat or softeners on the towels. Aside from the lack of absorption, my understanding is the heat melts fibers in the towels and it becomes like hardened plastic. Giving those wonderful swirl marks I try so hard to avoid. I also wash like towels together. So window towels with window towels. And towels that touch any products go together, dry towels together. You don't want waxes and chemicals being soaked into your dry towels. True window towels also have different fibers. So, I keep them separate.

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Old T shirts and never any fabric softeners in the wash nor dry.

DLC

Reaction score
I thought ALL RDP’ers use disposable micro fiber towels. One and done toss em!

They are so cheap at Costco

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
Costco towels only go on my interior and wheels and any other rag situation. Never on my paint or gel coat.

I use these to spray and wipe the gel coat down.

These for your protections/waxes after you clean. I use a ceramic based detailer, so these are the best for me to level it out after.

Vehicle drying towels.

Glass cleaning towel.

Costco for everything else. I have one bin of towels for the vehicles and one for the boat. They never mix.

gqchris

Reaction score
for the $20 `cheap price for a bundle at Costco, I throw them away pretty often! Keep a pile everywhere a toy lives!

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
I have been using Shine supply on my vehicles for years. I have almost every micro fiber they offer (always buy different ones to test to see which works best for me). Hands down, their detergent works best. I wash on cold (no heat) and use the air fluff (no heat) setting on my dryer. I have been running a lot of the same towels for years and the have not broke down. Here is the Detergent .

For the boat, I have found the below to work best. It may seem excessive (my process) but it's therapeutic for me. I have two of these Large Drying Towel and always a hand full of these Hypersoft Towels . I go over with the large towel first just to wipe up the lake water. Then I spray their Aftermath Water Spot Remover and wipe it with the hypersoft towel. I then use the other large towel to wipe up any streaks or residual water drops.

Last edited:

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
I have been using Shine supply on my vehicles for years. I have almost every micro fiber they offer (always buy different ones to test to see which works best for me). Hands down, they detergent works best. I was on cold (no heat) and use the air fluff (no heat) setting on my dryer. I have been running a lot of the same towels for years and the have not broke down. Here is the Detergent .

For the boat, I have found the below to work best. It may seem excessive (my process) but it's therapeutic for me. I have two of these Large Drying Towel and always a hand full of these Hypersoft Towels . I go over with the large towel first just to wipe up the lake water. Then I spray their Aftermath Water Spot Remover and wipe it with the hypersoft towel. I then use the other large towel to wipe up any streaks or residual water drops.
Love it. My routine is very similar. Coated in beadlock pro? Or, have you used the new marine version? My beadlock pro has held up 2 years now. I put two coats on at the time and I use punch it on it every so often.

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
Love it. My routine is very similar. Coated in beadlock pro? Or, have you used the new marine version? My beadlock pro has held up 2 years now. I put two coats on at the time and I use punch it on it every so often.

Was actually coated by detail specialties about 2 or 3 years ago. Held up quite well but definitely time to get it redone. I love bead lock pro for the car and am wondering how I would like it on the boat. Not 100% sure but I thought I saw somewhere detail specialties had some shine supply items. Going to talk to Chris as soon as my gel repair is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
When I did mine beadlock pro marine was not out yet. As Jeremy explained to me a gel coat is porus, so the first coat absorbs into the gel and the second coat actually gives it the protection it needs. Punch it has ceramic in it and helps re apply protection.

The marine is apparently more concentrated and the solvent is different so you only need one coat. I have not tried it yet.