WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat trailer TPMS

Boat 405

Reaction score
I’d worry about the external ones getting wet. Unlesss you take them off when you launch

McKay

Reaction score
Following this. Need a setup for 12 tires. 14 would be better.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
This what i use on my moho. Well worth the price and pretty accurate.
And theyre completely sealed.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Following this. Need a setup for 12 tires. 14 would be better.
plus buy two extra sensors @ $38 each

or

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Seems like a nice thing to have on the trailer tires

Reactions: DWC

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I have this one, that I use on both my toy hauler and boat trailer. I have found that its about 2lbs off in pressure when tires are hot but are pretty spot on otherwise. I adjusted the alarms taking that 2lbs into consideration. So far it has worked great.

Side note: I do take the sensors off the boat trailer before putting it in the water.

Boat 405

Reaction score

McKay

Reaction score
Did a little research. TST TPMS which looks very similar to the EEZRV system makes a marine sensor.

They also make in tire sensors too if you wanted to go that route.

f12517

Reaction score
All of the external ones are garbage! Its not if they will leak, its when they will leak. They all depress the valve core open and rely on a small grommet to maintain the air pressure integrity of the valve stem to the sensor. After you remove and reinstall the sensor a few times the grommet will no longer seal reliably and then you get air leaks.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anybody here using the sensors on your boat trailer? My GMC allows me to add trailer TPMS sensors via the trailering app but at $150 for 2 before tax and install, and needing 6 of them, not sure it’s worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a 2020 GMC 2500 and use the sensors. They are awesome. Haven't had any issues. As someone who has had prior issues with a bearing that got so hot it melted the spindle on the trailer, I'd say it's totally worth it just for peace of mind alone.
20210124_131507.jpg

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
We have a 2020 GMC 2500 and use the sensors. They are awesome. Haven't had any issues. As someone who has had prior issues with a bearing that got so hot it melted the spindle on the trailer, I'd say it's totally worth it just for peace of mind alone. View attachment 982975

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk

Are they pretty easy to sync up?

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
All of the external ones are garbage! Its not if they will leak, its when they will leak. They all depress the valve core open and rely on a small grommet to maintain the air pressure integrity of the valve stem to the sensor. After you remove and reinstall the sensor a few times the grommet will no longer seal reliably and then you get air leaks.
Why would you need to remove and reinstall the sensor at all? And even if you did need to, you know they come with replacement seals right?

Tbrownski

Reaction score
I have external ones on my truck and toyhauler and swear by them but I’d worry about them getting submerged when launching the boat

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Following... I'd like to have air pressure and wheel temp sensors on my trailer for peace of mind and to hopefully catch something before it becomes a major issue.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
This what i use on my moho. Well worth the price and pretty accurate.
And theyre completely sealed.

did you have or change to metal from rubber stems? These cant go on with rubber stems on the tires, correct or do they just suggest metal stems?

sorry for the ?s.....any reason to order more caps than than tires? Will the same display work for adding tires to monitor going forward?

thanks

Last edited:

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
did you have or change to metal from rubber stems? These cant go on with rubber stems on the tires, correct or do they just suggest metal stems?

sorry for the ?s.....any reason to order more caps than than tires? Will the same display work for adding tires to monitor going forward?

thanks
I already had metal stems on my wheels so i didnt have to deal with this initially however i did a quick search on their site and found this...

Can I use the sensors on rubber valve stems?

Answer:
Steel valve stems are ultimately recommended. It is not recommended using the Flow Through (2 1/4 inch) on a rubber stem. It is recommended you use rubber valve stem supports on your rubber stems. There are 2 types; one that goes over the rubber stem and clips onto the edge of the rim, the other that adheres to the rim and support the rubber stem from the side. You can do a Google search for "rubber valve stem support." The primary issue with rubber stems is where the rubber stems come through the metal rim. With extra wear and vibration the rim can start to cut into the valve stem. You always want to make sure on your walk around to wiggle the rubber stems and listen for air leakage through any stem, particularly where it comes out the rim. There are many variables that can affect your decision whether to use a sensor on a rubber valve stem, with every rig it can be different: its tires, weight, load distribution to name a few. When ever you have a question regarding your tires we always recommend you consult a tire professional to determine what is best for your rig.

I looked into the "rubber valve stem supports" and idk if id trust whats available out there.....

In regards to the monitor/sensors, its the same display whether you have 4 or 26 sensors and you program the sensors as needed in whichever position you desire.
It supports up to 26 sensors however itll only display the icons you have programmed. Every other tire icon you dont have programmed will disappear if that makes sense.....

I dont see any other reason to order more caps than tires unless you know in advanced that youre gonna end up using them.
Apparently the new color monitors have a new setting where you have the ability to read more than one vehicle/ trailer now......

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I already had metal stems on my wheels so i didnt have to deal with this initially however i did a quick search on their site and found this...

I looked into the "rubber valve stem supports" and idk if id trust whats available out there.....

In regards to the monitor/sensors, its the same display whether you have 4 or 26 sensors and you program the sensors as needed in whichever position you desire.
It supports up to 26 sensors however itll only display the icons you have programmed. Every other tire icon you dont have programmed will disappear if that makes sense.....

I dont see any other reason to order more caps than tires unless you know in advanced that youre gonna end up using them.
Apparently the new color monitors have a new setting where you have the ability to read more than one vehicle/ trailer now......

Perfect. Thanks.....I did go to their site and started poking around. The 5th wheel tires have rubber stems and they have nitrogen in them. Only a few years old but whenever they would need service I would change the rubber out to metal.

I am pretty sure I am ordering a set today and only have 4 tires. My truck has TPMS but I cant integrate these into that display. It will have to be the adjunct display for me. Also, going to order the booster so I am for sure having coverage. May not need the booster but would rather have it when I head out.

f12517

Reaction score
Why would you need to remove and reinstall the sensor at all? And even if you did need to, you know they come with replacement seals right?
Because most of them require removal to change air pressure. Also many of the manufacturers of these recommend removing them when storing the trailer for long periods of time to keep the batteries in the sensors from dying. I've seen these stupid things create more problems than they resolve. Every customer I have that has tried the type that screw onto the valve stem have had issues with leaks and air loss and ultimately took them off and threw them in the trash.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Because most of them require removal to change air pressure. Also many of the manufacturers of these recommend removing them when storing the trailer for long periods of time to keep the batteries in the sensors from dying. I've seen these stupid things create more problems than they resolve. Every customer I have that has tried the type that screw onto the valve stem have had issues with leaks and air loss and ultimately took them off and threw them in the trash.
Guess i should play the lottery..... Im going on 2+ years without needing to adjust air pressure or change the batteries.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score

I just ordered a set with the booster. The guy I talked to at the company said it will work just fine with the rubber stems but I have always had metal stems on trailers. I will be changing them out.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Well I broke down and ordered them. Best price I found is here:

2019-2021 GM Trailer Tire Pressure Monitor 84338125 | GmPW (gmpartswarehouse.com)

This price below is for 3 sets of 2 for a total of 6 sensors.

View attachment 983431

Warning, do not order from these scammers, they will not answer their phone, their emails, messaging machine and they will not send what I paid for. Guess I should have read their reviews before I clicked submit but their prices were so good I couldn’t resist. My mistake. Disputing charge with CC company.

havasuhusker

Reaction score
That sucks :( At least your CC company should be able to get your money back.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Where is it measuring the temperature? Is it the hub, wheel, ?? Also does anyone know of a similar system that works as a standalone system since my truck doesn't have this integrated?

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Where is it measuring the temperature? Is it the hub, wheel, ?? Also does anyone know of a similar system that works as a standalone system since my truck doesn't have this integrated?

The sensor is just inside the valve stem so it’s air temp in the tire I’d assume.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I’ve heard 160 is as high as they should get for the bearings’ sake.

Im pretty sure if your temps are reaching 160, youre bearings are pretty fucking toast right? I can see hub temps affecting tire temps but not the other way around.
Ive seen my temps reach ~140 on my way to parker in the moho on all 6
My understanding is that abnormal high temps in a tire is just another indication of it being low

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
The sensor is just inside the valve stem so it’s air temp in the tire I’d assume.

That makes sense. Whenever I stop while towing, I do a quick walk around and feel the temp on each wheel/hub to try to catch any potential bearing issues. It would be great to have a system that monitored tire pressure and wheel/hub temp.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
That makes sense. Whenever I stop while towing, I do a quick walk around and feel the temp on each wheel/hub to try to catch any potential bearing issues. It would be great to have a system that monitored tire pressure and wheel/hub temp.

I do the same. Since fixing the trailer brakes they don’t get hot anymore and I’ve got my gain set at 5.5 which seems to be right for this load.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Don't forget sensors for your spare tires! Even with these TPMS monitoring you'll still need to monitor your spare if you have a blowout and replace the tire on the road.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Don't forget sensors for your spare tires! Even with these TPMS monitoring you'll still need to monitor your spare if you have a blowout and replace the tire on the road.

FYI, the other company shipped my original order finally so I’ll get those 6 next week. I’ll give them to you for $350 which is $100 less than dealer. There are 6 of them.

JimG67

Reaction score
Hello, I contacted Tireminder and they said
"Thanks for contacting Minder. Our TireMinder TPMS transmitters are IPX7-rated and can be used in water up to 1m for 30 minutes. This makes them acceptable on most boat trailers, and customers who have used them on theirs have said they've had a good experience with them, too.

In the future, we're looking into the possibility of a stronger marine presence in regards to our TireMinder products as well, so hopefully, we can continue to build on that into the future."

I know they are a quality company used by RV's. I'm looking at the system that will be able to hook up to your cell phone. Hope the info helps

rrrr

Reaction score
Technology drives down prices. In the 90s it cost $40,000 to outfit eight sets of IndyCar wheels with TPMS. They interfaced with the car's telemetry system so the information was available to the race engineer.