WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat was not getting gas to engine

Reaction score
As I said before I had changed everything I listened very well to everything people told me on this forum and it helped a lot because this was my first two stroke but I started watching YouTube videos mistake on some of them some of them are good but I followed my vacuum how it gets suction from the engine to the carburetor to work that two-stroke spring-loaded diaphragm as I was checking and I have done rebuilt the carburetor and I made sure I put the same gaskets back on that came off and the guy I bought it from said he couldn't ever get it running so he sold it to me I started tracing yesterday I got to tell you all this somebody had put a carburetor kit in it and they come with two gaskets for the carburetor intake they put the wrong one on it it covered up the hole for the suction I had to carburetor off and I could suck on it and hear the spring pulling in blow on it here it go back and forth I knew it would working cuz I could feel it for my finger on the inlet so I started looking at the motor where it sucks to that hole and it was covered up I look back in my old kit that I bought and compared the other gasket that I didn't use in there and it fit lined up with all three little holes around the big hole I put it back in with the right gasket that thing purrs like a kitten two stroke sounds like a four-stroke Honda four-wheeler so smooth 25 horsepower EH electric start it's got all new stuff from tank to carburetor and I got extra stuff if something goes wrong I'm going to pack it in the boat with me but thanks for y'all's help you really help me a lot all the suggestions help me find two leaks in my gas line thanks again for all the help I'm gone fishing me and my buddy

Attachments

• 16350709681541502949327640531728.jpg
    16350709681541502949327640531728.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 39

FreeBird236

Reaction score
As I said before I had changed everything I listened very well to everything people told me on this forum and it helped a lot because this was my first two stroke but I started watching YouTube videos mistake on some of them some of them are good but I followed my vacuum how it gets suction from the engine to the carburetor to work that two-stroke spring-loaded diaphragm as I was checking and I have done rebuilt the carburetor and I made sure I put the same gaskets back on that came off and the guy I bought it from said he couldn't ever get it running so he sold it to me I started tracing yesterday I got to tell you all this somebody had put a carburetor kit in it and they come with two gaskets for the carburetor intake they put the wrong one on it it covered up the hole for the suction I had to carburetor off and I could suck on it and hear the spring pulling in blow on it here it go back and forth I knew it would working cuz I could feel it for my finger on the inlet so I started looking at the motor where it sucks to that hole and it was covered up I look back in my old kit that I bought and compared the other gasket that I didn't use in there and it fit lined up with all three little holes around the big hole I put it back in with the right gasket that thing purrs like a kitten two stroke sounds like a four-stroke Honda four-wheeler so smooth 25 horsepower EH electric start it's got all new stuff from tank to carburetor and I got extra stuff if something goes wrong I'm going to pack it in the boat with me but thanks for y'all's help you really help me a lot all the suggestions help me find two leaks in my gas line thanks again for all the help I'm gone fishing me and my buddy
Knock em dead.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Glad you found it. Sounded like an easy fix when you asked, it was just finding which easy fix it needed.
👍

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Many years ago I bought a little two stroke generator at a Sears store yard sale that was brand new for $50.00 with a service tag on it that said "not running". Since they were $300 new I took a risk.

I pulled the rope and the compression sounded good, took off the carburetor and found a similar situation to what you found. The gasket did not have a hole in it to allow fuel to flow into the carb. A bit of exacto knife work later and it was off and running. It was a tiny thing, like 500 watts, perfect for running a blender while day camping in a cove... I'm sure Newsom would jail me if I ever ran it again.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
That's awesome to hear. Now that you have that handled, let's work on some random punctuation :)

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
VERY common mistake on older outboards!! OEM's very often put many carb kits into the all-in-one package and sell them that way. It's the fixer's responsibility to verify what gasket goes where. I was taught about a 100 years ago to match every gasket with the old if possible holding them together and making sure holes are where they should be. Some gaskets will be identical except one itsy bitsy hole which you found out. Good for you going about your problem the way you did and sorry I missed your post about it.

Moreover some gaskets have holes in them that lead to nowhere, just the aluminum casting and can be used as the tightening of the fasteners will seal the goes to nowhere hole up.

Wait until you get into f/p kit gaskets, that can really make you lose your hair!!!