WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat weight trailering.....

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Just had some kid die in Hesperia when the trailer they were towing got all out of sorts and rolled the whole setup. Witnesses stated that though he wasn't speeding, the trailer was swerving a lot. 1st thing that came to mind was too much weight on the ass end of the trailer. Like an overloaded/misloaded toy hauler.

LC925

Reaction score
Just had some kid die in Hesperia when the trailer they were towing got all out of sorts and rolled the whole setup. Witnesses stated that though he wasn't speeding, the trailer was swerving a lot. 1st thing that came to mind was too much weight on the ass end of the trailer. Like an overloaded/misloaded toy hauler.

Think this was the photo of said accident. If you look closely, it seems they made an addition/extension to the back of the trailer to likely fit something that didn’t fit before. That was the same conclusion I came to, too much weight behind the trailer axles caused it to sway out of control and maybe over correction gone wrong.
6EC5F71A-84DB-41E3-8A49-794466B993E5.jpeg

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Think this was the photo of said accident. If you look closely, it seems they made an addition/extension to the back of the trailer to likely fit something that didn’t fit before. That was the same conclusion I came to, too much weight behind the trailer axles caused it to sway out of control and maybe over correction gone wrong. View attachment 1005768
I believe the company that makes those extensions is in havasu

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Think this was the photo of said accident. If you look closely, it seems they made an addition/extension to the back of the trailer to likely fit something that didn’t fit before. That was the same conclusion I came to, too much weight behind the trailer axles caused it to sway out of control and maybe over correction gone wrong. View attachment 1005768

I saw one of those extension deals on a 5th wheel this weekend. Never seen one before. I was told they come as kits you can buy for any toy hauler.

Bad Idea if not used correctly. :(

ATKpilot

Reaction score
Not just boats, with any trailer. Always best to max out the tongue weight

So how do I accomplish this because I need to do something. I have a Bahner Day Cruiser Sport with a small block Chev and alpha drive on a tandem competitive trailer. It has almost zero tongue weight and has always been like that. I have had the boat for 15 years and the tongue will literally float in the air. It never does anything crazy even towing 65mph but I know that this just isn't right. I have tried moving the boat forward incrementally to add tongue weight and it got squirrely when I did that. I had to move it back when I got to the lake. So I am at a loss on how to add weight, any suggestions greatly appreciated

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
So how do I accomplish this because I need to do something. I have a Bahner Day Cruiser Sport with a small block Chev and alpha drive on a tandem competitive trailer. It has almost zero tongue weight and has always been like that. I have had the boat for 15 years and the tongue will literally float in the air. It never does anything crazy even towing 65mph but I know that this just isn't right. I have tried moving the boat forward incrementally to add tongue weight and it got squirrely when I did that. I had to move it back when I got to the lake. So I am at a loss on how to add weight, any suggestions greatly appreciated

Move the axles back.

Always better to have more tongue weight than too little.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Here is my one simple trick to better towing lol

When loading a trailer connected to a tow vehicle do this

Load items, look at fender to top of tire gap, make the gap as equal as possible between different axles, If you have a small gap on the rear axle then you are light on the tongue. Ideal is even spacing to spread the load over the axles and trailer.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Yup. that's the one. That box deal didn't look kosher, but it was hard to tell from that angle if it was a homemade thing or a weird factory option.

ATKpilot

Reaction score
Move the axles back.

Always better to have more tongue weight than too little.

Yeah I thought about that but it's all welded and would all need to be cutout and re-welded...major under taking

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Yup. that's the one. That box deal didn't look kosher, but it was hard to tell from that angle if it was a homemade thing or a weird factory option.

The one I saw this weekend looked like a factory option. Matching graphics and colors.

Big 5th wheel with slides. Someone thought the added so something stored could clear the slides?

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Dude did you see the extension they put on the rear for more storage?
That was at most a 25’ Toyhauler and they added dam near 2 feet to the back. That trailer had to be grossly unbalanced.

Hmm wonder what went wrong.
61A22F9A-B4F2-4B06-B573-6DB7B98BA6C9.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: DWC

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Fuck...

Fatal accident. Towing with an SUV...

LC925

Reaction score
The one I saw this weekend looked like a factory option. Matching graphics and colors.

Big 5th wheel with slides. Someone thought the added so something stored could clear the slides?

A cousin of mine did this on his 5th wheel with a garage. Literally just needed inches to not have to deflate the paddle tires on his sxs. Removed the ramp door, had a 10” rectangular tube welded on (likely a 2-4” width, can’t recall), primed and painted and bolted the door back up. Can’t even tell it was a modification lol. But in all honesty, towing a 5th wheel will give you way more stability than a tow behind.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score

Put a spare tire on the front end... it's only 30-40lbs, but is a long ways forward.

Also be aware of how you are loading the boat. Put the heavy ice chest up front between the seats instead of @ the back.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Dude did you see the extension they put on the rear for more storage?
That was at most a 25’ Toyhauler and they added dam near 2 feet to the back. That trailer had to be grossly unbalanced.

Hmm wonder what went wrong. View attachment 1005823
And they likely added the extension to fit a SXS or other toys so now all that weight is WAY behind the axles

CLdrinker

Reaction score
A cousin of mine did this on his 5th wheel with a garage. Literally just needed inches to not have to deflate the paddle tires on his sxs. Removed the ramp door, had a 10” rectangular tube welded on (likely a 2-4” width, can’t recall), primed and painted and bolted the door back up. Can’t even tell it was a modification lol. But in all honesty, towing a 5th wheel will give you way more stability than a tow behind.
Big difference in adding an extension to a 8k trailer and a 15k trailer.
Sometimes you just need to pony up the money to be safe. This guy didn’t and his son payed the price.
Goes to show how quick you can change your life when you do shit you shouldn’t.

77charger

Reaction score
ProperLoading is also important. My current trailer with old buggy I put my atc up front in kitchen drove my old car in Foward over 60 I began to get a sway. I pulled over and revered car in the trailer went super steady after that. Even if I didn’t have the 250r up front still steady.
Current car I back in can haul my cr500 on rack in back rows straight still.

RIVERBORN

Reaction score
Yea. I don’t understand, u see this stuff all the time. People w no experience at all buying toy haulers packing them full, then dragging their families 80 mph across the desert. I’m sure there are a couple people on here so no offense, but you see suvs towing big ass dcbs and eliminators all the time. In town prob fine. Go catch a cross wind on the 40 at 70 mph and tell me that suv is safe.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Rest in Peace young man. Prayers for the family.
Toyhaulers get tricky, especially that tank set up. Not much tounge weight when black and gray are empty. Mine always towed better coming home with full bng.

LC925

Reaction score
Yea. I don’t understand, u see this stuff all the time. People w no experience at all buying toy haulers packing them full, then dragging their families 80 mph across the desert. I’m sure there are a couple people on here so no offense, but you see suvs towing big ass dcbs and eliminators all the time. In town prob fine. Go catch a cross wind on the 40 at 70 mph and tell me that suv is safe.

Well you see... that’s when they should have the F150 towing those big boys 😉

😂

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Rest in Peace young man. Prayers for the family.
Toyhaulers get tricky, especially that tank set up. Not much tounge weight when black and gray are empty. Mine always towed better coming home with full bng.
There is a pedal on the left. If things are t handling correctly slow down until the vehicle is in control. Or stop.
Nothing is worth your kids life.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
There is a pedal on the left. If things are t handling correctly slow down until the vehicle is in control. Or stop.

And...

The article says he was ejected and the trailer ended up on him...

So no seat belt and towing a toy hauler all loaded wrong, with an SUV.

Gawd damm. A family now totally destroyed. :(

LC925

Reaction score

Completely off topic from OP:

I recall around 2007 helping someone move up the hill (Victorville area). Around 1 A.M. we’re done doing the 3rd run with an 18’ flatbed trailer. Stopped at the flying J for a coffee before heading down. As we walked out of the station we saw 3 teenagers running from the back of my truck area towards their beat up pick up truck and drive off peeling out. Didn’t think nothing of it but did a walk around, all was good, so I thought. Jump back on the freeway SB from the 395 and as soon I make that first turn by the rest area/Brake check I felt a “bump”. As if someone pushed me. Look in the mirrors don’t see anything. Tranny issues?! No truck was new at the time. “Bump”... WTF! Mirrors again, see something swing by one way then the other way. No cars behind me, no lights up there. Well then I see the back of the trailer trying to pass me up side ways. Sped up to straighten it out then started “downshifting” the Allison to come to a stop. Hitch was attached to the trailer but A$$holes pulled the pin on the hitch receiver and the complete hitch slid out. Chains were holding it on. Was just glad it was that time of the night where I didn’t have anyone around me to make the moves necessary to come to a safe stop.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
I will never understand why people with a pull behind toyhauler don't use a weight distributing hitch.
So easy to make towing very safe with little cost and effort.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I will never understand why people with a pull behind toyhauler don't use a weight distributing hitch.
There no hitch in the world that fixes the setup pictured above.
Besides you can see the sway control bar hangin from the trailer

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score

I recall around 2007 helping someone move up the hill (Victorville area). Around 1 A.M. we’re done doing the 3rd run with an 18’ flatbed trailer. Stopped at the flying J for a coffee before heading down. As we walked out of the station we saw 3 teenagers running from the back of my truck area towards their beat up pick up truck and drive off peeling out. Didn’t think nothing of it but did a walk around, all was good, so I thought. Jump back on the freeway SB from the 395 and as soon I make that first turn by the rest area/Brake check I felt a “bump”. As if someone pushed me. Look in the mirrors don’t see anything. Tranny issues?! No truck was new at the time. “Bump”... WTF! Mirrors again, see something swing by one way then the other way. No cars behind me, no lights up there. Well then I see the back of the trailer trying to pass me up side ways. Sped up to straighten it out then started “downshifting” the Allison to come to a stop. Hitch was attached to the trailer but A$$holes pulled the pin on the hitch receiver and the complete hitch slid out. Chains were holding it on. Was just glad it was that time of the night where I didn’t have anyone around me to make the moves necessary to come to a safe stop.

Thats one reason why my hitch pins are always locked

NicPaus

Reaction score
Do they make a 3/4 ton avalanche? Towing that setup with half ton your load has to be balanced just right. My old 26' toyhauler was only 6500 lbs dry but had crazy heavy tongue weight if no toys in it. Had to balance it out or tow it with the F350. Add the crazy winds lately and it was probably a handful. Sad deal may the young kid RIP. I started out Towing at 16 with a Astro van and 25' camper. Plenty of tongue weight. Have had a few issues over the years with no tongue weight and light loads and it gets hairy quick when the tail end starts wagging. Got to grab the brake controller first then hit the brakes.

Reactions: DWC

4Waters

Reaction score

Yup, I always do a walk around before I move the truck and trailer after a day on the water, I've found my hitch pin removed as well🤬, good thing I carry a spare, it's locked now but I still carry a spare.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score

Either move the axles back or add 100lbs to the front of the trailer.

Your ad here

Reaction score
I used one with a front kitchen 21 weekend warrior then just used a traditional hitch after a year and never had any problems. The weight distribution hitch was always loose and clanking no matter how tight I made the bolts and then the torsion bars kept falling out and would drag on the ground. Only a matter of time before they came completely detached and goes through someone's windshield. The more I got looking at it and other types of trailers I came to the conclusion that a weight distribution hitch is a band aid to a more serious problem. If you need one then the trailer just has too much tongue weight and/or you need a bigger truck. A lot of the toy hauler trailers are poorly thought out.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I used one with a front kitchen 21 weekend warrior then just used a traditional hitch after a year and never had any problems. The weight distribution hitch was always loose and clanking no matter how tight I made the bolts and then the torsion bars kept falling out and would drag on the ground. Only a matter of time before they came completely detached and goes through someone's windshield. The more I got looking at it and other types of trailers I came to the conclusion that a weight distribution hitch is a band aid to a more serious problem. If you need one then the trailer just has too much tongue weight and/or you need a bigger truck. A lot of the toy hauler trailers are poorly thought out.

WTF kinda cheese ball eq hitch did you have? There is no way the bars can fall out on mine!

A eq hitch serves double duty...

It doubles the capacity of your receiver and distributes the weight evenly.

It can also help level out the whole rig if set up properly.

It's not a band aid for anything. It's a tool that serves a well designed purpose.

20210319_113542.jpg

RIVERBORN

Reaction score
Personal choice. They knew the risks.
True facts. But one saying I always have had and will always defend is, “children and pets have no choice”. We as owners and parents put them in those situations, so I do not feel for the parent that made that decision. But it is unfair for the child w/ no seat belt.

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
You are delusional...

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Bigger truck isn't always the answer. ever see a 3/4 ton clod towing with the nose looking at the moon. It all starts with the driver. Towed heavy for years with a half ton. Now I'm towing half the weight, but it's still on me to set it up correctly.