WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat winterizing in AZ

Brian B

Reaction score
I'm looking for feedback from Southern AZ residents in regards to how much winterization they do to their boats. Lets face it, it rarely freezes here and completely draining the block might not be 100% necessary. I keep my boat stored indoors, and plan to take it out a few times throughout the winter........

Thanks in advance for any input!

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Nothing, maybe some stabil if I know we wont use it much, but that rarely happens, if we get a nice day in february, we hit the lake

Buoy

Cynical Sarcastic F-er
Reaction score
I've been here for ~3 yrs, and I've never seen ice from an over-night. Maybe once had frost on my windshield.
If you are worried about your block, RELAX.
It's not gonna freeze unless you get below freezing for at least 24 hr straight - probably take longer than that.

Garrddogg

Reaction score
Souldve mentioned Stabil.. allways put that siht in if shes gonna be down for a while..

Reaction score
Whats that.

Most of us use our boats all winter. Its the best boating:thumbsup

Motor Boater

Reaction score
What is winterizing? ;)

Whats Winter? We are just leaving summer into that really nice part of the year that runs until summer starts again.

Oh, and I have never winterized a boat in phoenix...ever. Always stored outside

The Doctor

Land Sales GURU
Reaction score
If you do have block drains, open them! It freezes often in Southern AZ and it only takes once. Inside storage is always best but not everyone has that kind of garage space.

sdpm

Reaction score
If you do have block drains, open them! It freezes often in Southern AZ and it only takes once. Inside storage is always best but not everyone has that kind of garage space.

What if he has a closed cooling system? :hmm

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I drain the block and headers to get out he sand and add some Stabil if i think about it.

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
I would not drain the block if you are going to use it. Just put a drop light in the engine compartment on the night that the weather is supposed to be cold. Be sure it is not touching anything. The heat from the light bulb should keep the the area under the hatch above 32*:thumbsup

The Doctor

Land Sales GURU
Reaction score
What if he has a closed cooling system? :hmm

Then he needs to treat it like a car. Without proper anti-freeze protection the same circumstances exist but make no mistake about needing freeze protection in Southern Arizona. Sadly, too many have.:swear

W.O.T MARINE

Reaction score
Thing we do here for winterization.

Change engine oil and filter.
Fog the motor.
Treat the fuel system (keep fuel tanks low).
Chanrge and disconect batteries.
Store with drive/ trim down (keeps U-joints from possible binding).
Drain all water from boat, keep plug out and bow up.
Drain block and drive.
Grease all zerks.
Check drive for water in oil.
Check fuel water seperator filter for water.

W.O.T MARINE

Reaction score
Then he needs to treat it like a car. Without proper anti-freeze protection the same circumstances exist but make no mistake about needing freeze protection in Southern Arizona. Sadly, too many have.:swear

We had two clients this summer with cracked blocks due to freezing over winter; there boats are store here in San Diego. I would high suggest doing so!

cave

Reaction score
I winterized my Pyle by running the fug out of her in the winter.
a. Less Wake boarders fugging up the water (Sept coz, he fugs up Canyon:D)
b. Less Cabin Cruisers fugging up the water
c. Less Illegals hanging out on the waters edge Thinking about steeling my stuff
Isn't that what Winterizing is?

AZKC

I know right...
Reaction score
I will say that we had a hell of a freeze here (Tucson) last winter, I think 3 straight days of mid to low 30's daytime temps. Killed a ton of trees and cactus. I normally don't do anything but I have a cover and enclosed an engine. Draining the block and manifolds would probably be enough. And the ole droplight trick for insurance.

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
it did snow in havi last winter. just sayin:hmm:hmm

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
Over New Years in Havasu this year it got colder than shit, lots of houses had pipes bursting because of the freeze.

I always fill the fuel tanks, add stabil and let in run thru the system for a few minutes. I was told to fill the tanks to minimize the room for condensation in the tanks.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Over New Years in Havasu this year it got colder than shit, lots of houses had pipes bursting because of the freeze.

I always fill the fuel tanks, add stabil and let in run thru the system for a few minutes. I was told to fill the tanks to minimize the room for condensation in the tanks.

I have been doing this for years in my boat, golf cart and tow vehicle. My snowbird stays for 6 months and I haven't had a problem yet. Everything is inside though.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
Like others said it got unusually cold here this past winter. In addition to precautions already mentioned make sure your drive does not have water left in it. Lowering the drive should get all the water out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTDecker

Reaction score
it did snow in havi last winter. just sayin:hmm:hmm

Up in the Mohave Mts. which is 5000 ft elev. east side of town. Seen it often since we moved to Havasu. But didn't snow in town.
I never winterize my boat, I store in garage and I boat year round.

WTDecker

Reaction score

Most of that was houses with swamp coolers and didn't shut them down for the winter properly. Nothing new there either.

Brian B

Reaction score
Good talk! Thanks for the input!

I'm going to do the drop light option on the really cold nights!

The Doctor

Land Sales GURU
Reaction score
Good talk! Thanks for the input!

I'm going to do the drop light option on the really cold nights!
Just a note:
Make sure not to use the government friendly CFL bulb, use an old school incandescent one and don't let it touch anything.
Cover your engine with a blanket or something similar to hold the warmth in.