WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boater Card for AZ

tostark

Liquid Equity
Reaction score
Sounds like it is being proposed......at least they are requiring “rentals” to get it. The towing restrictions are interesting too.

State could require boating classes, insurance under legislative proposal
  • By BRANDON MESSICK Today’s News-Herald
  • Feb 18, 2021 Updated 7 hrs ago
2019 Desert Storm boats

Boaters enjoy Lake Havasu during the 2019 Desert Storm events. A bill in the Arizona State Legislature would allow the state to require boating education courses for prospective boat operators.
Courtesy of Brooke Bahde Photography

A bill in the Arizona legislature could lead to watercraft safety courses for all Arizona boaters, as a requirement for boating registration.
The legislation would allow the Arizona Game and Fish Commission to develop a basic training course on safety and legal regulations for boaters throughout the state. The proposed law follows a similar measure in California, where such courses have been required for all boaters since last January.
The course may be designed as a training video of no longer than 30 minutes, under the legislation, or a written course available online or in person. A written test of no longer than two pages would also be required, if such a course is created. Taking the course could become a requirement for boater registration in the state of Arizona, if the law is passed.

House Bill 2886 was read by the legislature last Wednesday. The bill would add two other new provisions to Arizona statutes relating to boating and watersports.
Additional new provisions would require boat rental companies to purchase insurance against possible accidents or injury that occur under their respective rental agreements.
Rental companies will be required to purchase liability insurance for any motorized watercraft with more than 50 horsepower, and will require insurance for any personal watercraft. Such liability would be in effect at any time the rented watercraft is operated in public waterways throughout Arizona.

Rental companies would need to purchase at least $25,000 in coverage for bodily injury or death of one person in the event of an accident, and $50,000 in coverage per two or more people involved in any single accident. Rental companies would also have to purchase $65,000 in combined coverage for bodily injury, death or property damage in the event of an accident.
If the Arizona Game and Fish Commission chooses to develop a boating safety course under the new legislation, customers will be required to pass the course before a rental can take place.
The legislation would also regulate tubing, wake-surfing or wake-jumping if using a personal watercraft.
It will be unlawful for a person to use skis, surfboard, inflatable tube or similar device within 60 feet of a watercraft while traveling into that watercraft’s wake — and may not come closer to a watercraft than 60 feet any watercraft that is towing it, unless both are traveling at wakeless speeds. Turning or maneuvering quickly while using skis, surfboard or an inflatable tube will also be prohibited, unless such is necessary to avoid a collision.

HB 2886 received its second reading in the legislature last Thursday. It has since been assigned to the House Natural Resources, Energy and Water committee.
The Arizona Game and Fish Department currently offers an optional boating safety course under the U.S. Coast Guard. Game and Fish officials could not say as of Thursday whether the agency planned to create its own mandatory course for Arizona residents.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
That bill would effectively kill wakesurfing and wakeboarding

Yep, it probably won’t pass. That is some nannying bullshit right there.

That will be the beginning of the end of pleasure power boating if it does pass.

USMC2010

Reaction score
AZ is a blue state now. I wouldn't be surprised if it passes.

hallett21

Reaction score
I liked the rental aspect.
then when I read the last section my opinion went to Hell No!

X2

Plus there’s no way the wake surfing and wake board industry would let this happen without a fight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Yep. The comie greens hate anything to do with an engine. Be it boating, off roading, or any other form of “FUN” with a vehicle. They will push and push till there is no “FUN”. 😡

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
When I watch so many people failing to even back the Trailer down thr Ramp AND having No Clue what in the World to do when meeting a Boat, maybe a thought? The jet Ski sales are a perfect example, if you can make down payment and sign a Contract, Away you go, with No Idea what they are doing.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Bad drivers have been around forever. And it doesn’t just apply to boats. all one has to do is drive down the road. This legislation will not help that situation at all.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
When I watch so many people failing to even back the Trailer down thr Ramp AND having No Clue what in the World to do when meeting a Boat, maybe a thought? The jet Ski sales are a perfect example, if you can make down payment and sign a Contract, Away you go, with No Idea what they are doing.

Keep in mind none of those people are the renters. Idiot boaters are nothing new.

More regulation is not going to fix stupidity and ignorance.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind none of those people are the renters. Idiot boaters are nothing new.

More regulation is not going to fix stupidity and ignorance.

Well, I do not understand how you separate Owners and Renters? Both are still boating. Actually if it Killed Jet Ski Rentals it would be a Blessing. This is a Matter of time, and if the States do not do it, Insurance likely will.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Well, I do not understand how you separate Owners and Renters? Both are still boating. Actually if it Killed Jet Ski Rentals it would be a Blessing. This is a Matter of time, and if the States do not do it, Insurance likely will.

Renters are not backing the boat or ski down the ramp.

Getting rid of any boating is the beginning of the end.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Breaking News: Monster waves are not required to wakesurf or wakeboard but most of these idiots beg to differ...
Totally agree. We have had an old Ski Centurian direct drive ski boat forever. Lays down a perfect pass for the Wife’s slalom skiing. But also provided us with endless days of wake boarding and tow surfing when the kids were growing up. Hardly a monster wake, but damn fun none the less. 👍

jetur

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of any red tape but, I have seen some crazy near misses and accidents on Lake Pleasant and Havasu. I don't think its going to increase any skill level for people on this site, but it could weed out a bunch of day renters that cause accidents. IDK, I guess its just one more way to take our $$$.

johnnyC

Reaction score
i think they are missing the boat , insurance is a good idea but all renters of personal water craft should go through some class time with plenty of gory pictures of accidents the rest isn't needed

NicPaus

Reaction score
It will put watercraft rentals out of business as getting insurance is almost impossible. Friend tried to start a seadoo rental business. I wouldn't mind. Years ago one of the rental boats at Naci hit my boat while anchored. No insurance on there end. Marina told me sue them if I wanted to but no insurance required.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Read it again. It doesn't make any special regulations on wake surfing or water skiing. It is directed specifically towards personal watercraft. It just states that a Personal watercraft can't make sharp turns or jump wakes or be above wakeless speed, within 60' of a wake surfer, water skier, or tuber. The same way it is now within 60' of another boat.

This part is probably in answer to someone who got stopped or cited for spraying or jumping a wake, near a skier or wake boarder, and a defense attorney successfully argued that the existing law didn't apply, since they were more than 60' from the boat.

As far as rental insurance, I see pontoon rentals dropping their HP to 40. And most legitimate, established PWC rentals already have at least a million $$$ in Insurance. This is aimed to stop the fly-by-night guys that rent their personal PWCs out of the back of their van or P/U.

Last edited:

LazyLavey

Reaction score
BUT.. no motorcycle helmets required. (not that I care)

"Turning or maneuvering quickly while using skis, surfboard or an inflatable tube will also be prohibited, unless such is necessary to avoid a collision".

That's gonna make for some boring tube rides...

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Read it again. It doesn't make any special regulations on wake surfing or water skiing. It is directed specifically towards personal watercraft. It just states that a Personal watercraft can't make sharp turns or jump wakes or be above wakeless speed, within 60' of a wake surfer, water skier, or tuber. The same way it is now within 60' of another boat.

This part is probably in answer to someone who got stopped or cited for spraying or jumping a wake, near a skier or wake boarder, and a defense attorney successfully argued that the existing law didn't apply, since they were more than 60' from the boat.

As far as rental insurance, I see pontoon rentals dropping their HP to 40. And most legitimate, established PWC rentals already have at least a million $$$ in Insurance. This is aimed to stop the fly-by-night guys that rent their personal PWCs out of the back of their van or P/U.

It only says personal watercraft once.. But says staying 60 feet from "watercraft" while traveling in their wake over and over after that. If you are right, this is extremely poorly written.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
BUT.. no motorcycle helmets required. (not that I care)

"Turning or maneuvering quickly while using skis, surfboard or an inflatable tube will also be prohibited, unless such is necessary to avoid a collision".

That's gonna make for some boring tube rides...

Don't take what the reporter in the above post said. It's incorrect. I posted the link to the actual bill. All it does is make the current law regarding Reckless Operation of a Personal Watercraft apply to being within 60' of skiers and tubers, rather than just within 60' of another boat.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Here is the actual language of the proposed amendments (in italics):

C. A person shall not operate or knowingly allow another person to operate a personal watercraft under his the person's ownership or control in a reckless or negligent manner endangering the life or property of another person. Prima facie evidence of reckless operation exists if the person commits two or more of the following acts simultaneously:

4. operates the personal watercraft within a zone of proximity to another watercraft closer than sixty feet, maneuvers quickly, turns sharply or swerves, unless the maneuver is necessary to avoid a collision.

5. heads into the wake of a towed person on water skis or a surfboard, inflatable tube or similar device that is within a zone of proximity closer than sixty feet and causes one-half or more of the length of the personal watercraft to leave the water.

6. operates the personal watercraft within a zone of proximity to a towed person on water skis or a surfboard, inflatable tube or similar device closer than sixty feet, MANEUVERS quickly, turns sharply or swerves, unless the MANEUVER is necessary to avoid a collision.

7. operates the personal watercraft within a zone of proximity to a towed person on water skis or a surfboard, inflatable tube or similar device closer than sixty feet unless both are leaving a flat wake or are traveling at a speed of five nautical miles per hour or less.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Here is the actual language of the proposed amendments (in italics):

C. A person shall not operate or knowingly allow another person to operate a personal watercraft under his the person's ownership or control in a reckless or negligent manner endangering the life or property of another person. Prima facie evidence of reckless operation exists if the person commits two or more of the following acts simultaneously:

4. operates the personal watercraft within a zone of proximity to another watercraft closer than sixty feet, maneuvers quickly, turns sharply or swerves, unless the maneuver is necessary to avoid a collision.

5. heads into the wake of a towed person on water skis or a surfboard, inflatable tube or similar device that is within a zone of proximity closer than sixty feet and causes one-half or more of the length of the personal watercraft to leave the water.

6. operates the personal watercraft within a zone of proximity to a towed person on water skis or a surfboard, inflatable tube or similar device closer than sixty feet, MANEUVERS quickly, turns sharply or swerves, unless the MANEUVER is necessary to avoid a collision.

7. operates the personal watercraft within a zone of proximity to a towed person on water skis or a surfboard, inflatable tube or similar device closer than sixty feet unless both are leaving a flat wake or are traveling at a speed of five nautical miles per hour or less.
Hows that 60ft gonna work at the river

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Hows that 60ft gonna work at the river

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

The same way it's worked for the last 20+ years that the law has been in effect. Jump a wake, spray a boat or tuber, get cited.