ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
How crazy would this be?

077731D7-5FFD-4C1D-BAE0-3168EC953960.jpeg

Wedgy

Reaction score
Prime example of Darwin’s law of natural selection
Law of the Jungle! Those Low Head Dams are awful hard to see from upstream. I noticed the one here in Lubbock on Buffalo Springs Lake. An uninitiated Boater wouldn't even know what they were looking at headed straight for it. Here it's a long way down.
A half assed decrepit barely visible Bouy line won't prevent this.

Wedgy

Reaction score
What was it all of 10 feet drop?
The downstream drop at the diversion dam on the Sacramento River in Redding, CA is less than 6 feet, but what kills people on a flowing river is the current that traps individuals up against the base of the drop.

On Buffalo Springs, the normally dry stream bed at the base of the damn isn’t close. At all. Low Head Diversion Dams are Notorious Nationwide, for drowning people. Otherwise, it's not the fall that kills, it's the sudden stop.

Taboma

Reaction score
That boat looks like a late 50's Classic Bell Boy Banshee with a McCulloch Scot Atwater on it. Can't believe that's any rental boat, that's barn find that one is, or Grandad left to the kids.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Law of the Jungle! Those Low Head Dams are awful hard to see from upstream. I noticed the one here in Lubbock on Buffalo Springs Lake. An uninitiated Boater wouldn't even know what they were looking at headed straight for it. Here it's a long way down.
A half assed decrepit barely visible Bouy line won't prevent this.
From upriver, do these look like the "infinity pools"? I would think the way the light falls, it would be wierd having the water's edge being the horizon. Never been on a body of water like that.

EarpRider

Reaction score
My wife and I saved two people once from going over Headgate Dam, south end of The Strip. We were anchored right below the rock where everyone jumps and I heard a kid yelling for help. We pulled anchor and saw a guy on a 3 seat jetski jump the safety line and grab a lady who was about to go over. Then we realized two more people were hanging on the line. We started to pull up and grab them but the current was crazy strong, so I pulled away a little distance and my wife tossed the wakeboard rope two both people and pulled them in.
They were visiting from England and were floating in the water next to their jet skis, then as they got closer to the dam they couldn't get back on the skis. Once we got them on our boat they asked what would have happened to us if we'd gone over the dam.😮
Both three seat jet skis went over, or actually into the dam. Recovery guys spent hours the next day getting jet ski parts out of the dam. The English couple we saved werent really upset about the entire incident, they were only mad about losing their camera that was in the jet ski.🤦‍♀️

outboard_256

Reaction score
My wife and I saved two people once from going over Headgate Dam, south end of The Strip. We were anchored right below the rock where everyone jumps and I heard a kid yelling for help. We pulled anchor and saw a guy on a 3 seat jetski jump the safety line and grab a lady who was about to go over. Then we realized two more people were hanging on the line. We started to pull up and grab them but the current was crazy strong, so I pulled away a little distance and my wife tossed the wakeboard rope two both people and pulled them in.
They were visiting from England and were floating in the water next to their jet skis, then as they got closer to the dam they couldn't get back on the skis. Once we got them on our boat they asked what would have happened to us if we'd gone over the dam.😮
Both three seat jet skis went over, or actually into the dam. Recovery guys spent hours the next day getting jet ski parts out of the dam. The English couple we saved werent really upset about the entire incident, they were only mad about losing their camera that was in the jet ski.🤦‍♀️

Probably rentals. If I almost died I wouldn't care if my rental boat/jetski sank/went off a dam. I would care if I left my phone in the glove box.

Wedgy

Reaction score
From upriver, do these look like the "infinity pools"? I would think the way the light falls, it would be wierd having the water's edge being the horizon. Never been on a body of water like that.

Very much so. Identical to coming down Black Canyon of the Colorado River, Hoover to Willow Beach, where, like any body of water, as darkness overtakes afternoon, looks Zactly like that, MW. Mesmerizing.

Taboma

Reaction score
Now I get the late 50's boat and by appearances, with the classic old outboard. Retro Boat Rentals Austin Tx. https://www.retroboatsatx.com/

What an interesting and innovating concept for that lake, with it's 4 mph speed limit on boats. Cool story on their website. These classic old outboards have been converted to electric, which for this particular body of water seems perfect for a silent relaxing sightseeing cruise. Plus seems like a perfect fit for Austin as it's been reported here on RDP to be quite politically and socially liberal.
What I do not understand, is the lack of life preservers onboard ( It was mentioned they were dropped to those in the boat). Unless the people were too freaked to move about to retrieve them ??

I love the ad that mentions how these late 50's boat are from the " Jet Age Era " , don't recall the late 50's being described as that, although certainly was the birth of the Jet flying age.

This appears to be the one these folks were renting.

Retro Boats.JPG

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Now I get the late 50's boat and by appearances, with the classic old outboard. Retro Boat Rentals Austin Tx. https://www.retroboatsatx.com/

What an interesting and innovating concept for that lake, with it's 4 mph speed limit on boats. Cool story on their website. These classic old outboards have been converted to electric, which for this particular body of water seems perfect for a silent relaxing sightseeing cruise. Plus seems like a perfect fit for Austin as it's been reported here on RDP to be quite politically and socially liberal.
What I do not understand, is the lack of life preservers onboard ( It was mentioned they were dropped to those in the boat). Unless the people were too freaked to move about to retrieve them ??

I love the ad that mentions how these late 50's boat are from the " Jet Age Era " , don't recall the late 50's being described as that, although certainly was the birth of the Jet flying age.

This appears to be the one these folks were renting.

View attachment 1012683
Jet age Era cars were the late 50's with all the big fins(aka 59 caddy)

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
You gotta be a special kind of stupid…

The stupid is whoever runs that lake not having cables in place to keep this from happening!

No real boater is going to rent an electric boat that only goes 4mph. Only non boaters are gonna do that, so they should be catering to that "non boater" market!

Just my 2cents on this deal.