WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boating content: prop recommendations

Husqy510

Reaction score
We recently rigged a 26 Howard cat with a 540 N/A making 725hp at 5700. Currently we have 28 with 1.5 outdrive and this past weekend I did a short pass. The rpm went up to 5700 and then climbed to 6k and 91mph before I shut it down.

I'm thinking we can pull a bigger prop. Do you recommend a 30 or 32?

Boat 405

Reaction score
Did you dyno your engine? Is your tach accurate? You’d be surprised how many are not. I have a brand new autometer platinum gauge that is 100 rpm off. I checked mine with a laptop plugged into my digital 7 ignition box. Where was peak power? How much torque? Does it fall off after 5700? A NA 540 probably won’t have the umph to pull a 30 prop I would guess. It might. Just need to try one. Best thing to do is get a couple of loaner props and try them all.

Streetmoto

Reaction score
Did you dyno your engine? Is your tach accurate? You’d be surprised how many are not. I have a brand new autometer platinum gauge that is 100 rpm off. I checked mine with a laptop plugged into my digital 7 ignition box. Where was peak power? How much torque? Does it fall off after 5700? A NA 540 probably won’t have the umph to pull a 30 prop I would guess. It might. Just need to try one. Best thing to do is get a couple of loaner props and try them all.
Motor was dyno'd, peak tq at 4600 and peak hp at 5700. Our MSD box has a digital readout, we could use that to verify the RPM is accurate.

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
Where are you located? We have a few spares that you're welcome to try. We're in Havasu. The gentlemanly rule applies, if you break it, you bought it. Even if you just want to try for the day, we're happy to help out an inmate.

Husqy510

Reaction score
As my brother mentioned it was dyno tuned and made peak hp of 725 at 5700, and continued to make good power until he shut it down at 6k.

Last time I ran it up to 91mph, it was still pulling when I shut it down.

Thanks for the offer @Fastdadtsmith we have a buddy near us in Mohave Valley with a 30 that we're going to try next week.

77 SLEEK

Reaction score
Your prop slip is about 14% you might try a 4 blade 28. Or yes the new max 5

Duramax

Reaction score
Where are you located? We have a few spares that you're welcome to try. We're in Havasu. The gentlemanly rule applies, if you break it, you bought it. Even if you just want to try for the day, we're happy to help out an inmate.
Very cool of you. Nice job

farmo83

Reaction score

Or try that new Merc Max 5. I hear its the real deal

Teague is huge on the Max 5. I thought they were bigger deck boats or V bottoms though. At 2k a pop it's a tough pill to swallow to test.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Teague is huge on the Max 5. I thought they were bigger deck boats or V bottoms though. At 2k a pop it's a tough pill to swallow to test.
Yeh. I think you are right about that

If I am paying 2k or more o would spin Herring prop

Streetmoto

Reaction score
That's very cool of you @Fastdadtsmith, it's people like you that make this such a great community! As my brother mentioned, our buddy has a 30 that we'll try first and see how that goes. We'll have our families in the boat most of the time with the Bimini up so the 28 might end up being the better overall prop at the end of the day. The testing gives us a reason to head out there a couple times over the winter months👍 Thanks for all the feedback and help guys!