WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boating out of state, preferably Texas.

She's Mine

Reaction score
So my fiance' and I have been throwing around the idea of moving out of California. The only and I mean the only thing holding us here are my kiddos but the ex is getting married soon and might be moving to FL so we have been thinking of making the move to Texas. Are there any inmates that live in Texas or have boated in Texas that can tell me what type of boating is in that state? I love Havasu, been going there since I was a teenager and know there is no place like it but maybe Texas has something similar.

What say you, inmates.

rivergames

Reaction score
You want a beautiful area in Texas with beautiful rivers and lakes?

Marble Falls, TX and the surrounding areas

I don't live there. I just have seen quite a bit of different areas on the lower half of the US when we drive and race throughout the country. So far, those are the best looking and most desirable spots I would be the happiest to ever live in

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
My buddy got transfered to Dallas / Fort Worth. Drug his boat there. Hated the lakes. Drug his boat back to his house in Havasu and would fly to Phoenix and drive to Havasu when he wanted to use his boat. This was about 15 years ago.

She's Mine

Reaction score
My buddy got transfered to Dallas / Fort Worth. Drug his boat there. Hated the lakes. Drug his boat back to his house in Havasu and would fly to Phoenix and drive to Havasu when he wanted to use his boat. This was about 15 years ago.

Wow, now that is also an option since we will be selling property in CA and have some money to purchase in Havasu... The fiance' is looking to move to Dallas/ Fort Worth area since the job market is strong there for Project Accounts.

Devilman

lol, yeah, sure, ok......
Reaction score
For the nice clear water & big boat friendly I'd agree with Rivergames... Marble Falls, Austin area. Lake Travis now that it has water again, Lake LBJ in that general area. Canyon Lake & Medina Lake little further south in the San Antonio area and are very clear as well. Tawakoni up in the Dallas area wasn't bad from what I remember as far as water quality, but not as clear as the others I mentioned. Lake Whitney is another one, it's up above Waco. These are just the ones that I have actually boated on, other folks will chime in I'm sure. :cool

copterzach

Reaction score

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Why leave Ca? It's about to be a sanctuary state! It will be awesome.

But seriously. There are a lot of lakes in Texas. Marble Falls area in very nice. Close to Austin and San Antonio. As far as Dallas and Fort Wort I am not that familiar with the lakes up there. Been to Texoma once. Big lake.

Fuck CA...I'm out

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...m/forums/showthread.php?t=157893&share_type=t

Hey Pronstar

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...m/forums/showthread.php?t=165346&share_type=t

How did this thread become a CA bashing thread. The OP just asked a simple question about lakes in Texas. :headscratch:

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Because many people are pissed about the moronic Cali politics ruining the state :thumbsdown

copterzach doesn't live in CA. You don't like the politics. Move to Texas. :p

rivergames

Reaction score
copterzach doesn't live in CA. You don't like the politics. Move to Texas. :p

He is the outsider laughing at out state!

If it wasn't for a good business and close family, I'd be in Arizona in a heart beat!

Oh well.... A boy can dream! :p

copterzach

Reaction score
I was just trying to add a little humor before I posted up what little info I had time to add. Sorry I hurt anyone's feelings in Ca.

TX Foilhead

Reaction score
Most rivers in Texas are muddy so most lakes don't have clear water. In the Hill Country the water flows over limestone which helps clean the water and the lakes around Austin and San Antonio are mostly clear. It also depends on what time of year you come. It takes 2 or 3 weeks for flood waters to clear up so the drier it is the more likely it is that the water will be clear.

farmo83

Reaction score
I've boated around the hill country my whole life and it's quite pretty, also getting to be quite crowded. Lake Travis for the big party scene if it has water, Lake Austin for more of a river feel. LBJ is nice, Medina too when it has water. Sommerville if you want to get away from everyone. Lake Conroe is the Lake Travis of the Houston area. Avoid Lake Livingston like the plague if you value your boat. Don't have much time in the Dallas area.

She's Mine

Reaction score
I've boated around the hill country my whole life and it's quite pretty, also getting to be quite crowded. Lake Travis for the big party scene if it has water, Lake Austin for more of a river feel. LBJ is nice, Medina too when it has water. Sommerville if you want to get away from everyone. Lake Conroe is the Lake Travis of the Houston area. Avoid Lake Livingston like the plague if you value your boat. Don't have much time in the Dallas area.

This is what I was looking for. Thanks for the great info. Was looking for something like Havasu; clear water, fast boats, easy on the eyes girls, fun people that are cool to new comers and strangers. You are making it tough to not want to go. I sent her some info on Marble Falls and she replied, lets take a trip and check it out. So I think a few days out there will happen this summer for sure.

copterzach

Reaction score
Canyon Lake north of San Antonio is awesome. Good party crowd. Lake Amistad is beautiful also. A few party coves there also.

copterzach

Reaction score
Lake Travis

[video=youtube_https;Idf8HFPSFrc]https://youtu.be/Idf8HFPSFrc[/video]

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I have test drove a boat on Lake Lewisville in the Dallas area. I hear it gets fun @ times. The lake looked OK. I enjoyed Lake Austin and Travis in Austin area. Limited days on the water but it was cool. I think you would be hard pressed to beat Havasu.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score

If it wasn't for a good business and close family, I'd be in Arizona in a heart beat!

You and me both...but I'm not giving up...just have to keep beating on Summer. :skull

sirbob

Reaction score
You want a beautiful area in Texas with beautiful rivers and lakes?

Marble Falls, TX and the surrounding areas

I don't live there. I just have seen quite a bit of different areas on the lower half of the US when we drive and race throughout the country. So far, those are the best looking and most desirable spots I would be the happiest to ever live in

Thats a nice area - we lived for a while in The Hills of Lakeway, not far from Marble Falls.

One thing I did not like was the water. There is a lot of limestone in the water and it makes water spots and a water line mess thats hard to get off.

But great topography and coves etc.

She's Mine

Reaction score
I have test drove a boat on Lake Lewisville in the Dallas area. I hear it gets fun @ times. The lake looked OK. I enjoyed Lake Austin and Travis in Austin area. Limited days on the water but it was cool. I think you would be hard pressed to beat Havasu.

I agree, I don't think there is another lake like Havasu. We are pretty spoiled but we're fed up with California and the politics. We are ready to retire so Havasu is not a destination for us at the moment that is why Texas is in the picture.

TX Foilhead

Reaction score
Marble Falls is a good centeral spot to explore from, but the lake is basically what you can see from the bridge. It's very small, but your within 20 min of 4 other lakes. Canyon lake is about an hour south and San Antonio is about and hour and a half. There are more lakes to the north around Killeen and it's only about 3 hrs to Whitney and Grandbury which are in the Ft Worth area.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Lots of states with lots of water beside Texas. Stay south of the 37th parallel and your vagina won't freeze either.

Icky

Reaction score
Spent a few months in fort Worth last summer. We were gonna rent a boat one weekend, one conversation with one of my subs killed that idea. They have snakes and Gators in the water fuck that:eek

Halvecto

Reaction score
You and me both...but I'm not giving up...just have to keep beating on Summer. :skull

I think it's only a matter of time. When a number of people move to a place that is still "like it used to be", it will end. Where there are large groups of people, there are problems. Over the years there seems there is always a "better spot" to go. I can remember it was WA & OR; Seattle & Portland had all the charm. Then people couldn't get to Utah & Colorado fast enough (talk about changing, whoa), Highlands Ranch is Irvine in the Rockies. Then NV (both Vegas and Carson City area), and now TX is the geographical Penicillin for all ills. Recently, people begin to realize TX has more land border to Mexico and at some point the population moves the political needle. Now it seems everyone I chat with says Tennessee is the place to be.

The rotation of "greener grass" continues. People, family, community and comfort are important. California has some amazing spots. Ya, CA isn't what it used to be, but neither will those other states in 10-20 years. It wasn't that long ago I was riding the RTD bus for 15 cents for miles to see friends and Mom & Dad didn't even bat an eye.

I just had this conversation with a client. Now, if Prop 13 goes away, the economics of staying in CA in retirement change big time. Assuming you stay in the same property for a long time, and retirement taxable income is reduced, it's actually not bad.

She's Mine

Reaction score
Spent a few months in fort Worth last summer. We were gonna rent a boat one weekend, one conversation with one of my subs killed that idea. They have snakes and Gators in the water fuck that:eek

WTF!!! If I told my girl that we wouldn't think twice about moving... Hell NO. I HATE SNAKES.

shunter2005

Reaction score
Highland lakes are arguably the best boating area in Texas. Lake Buchanan, Inks Lake, LBJ (Granite Shoals to us old timers), Lake Marble Falls, Lake Travis and Lake Austin. Buchanan very nice large lake when water is up with some nice scenery. No comparison to Havasu, but then, what is? Inks is very tiny, only about 4 miles long. LBJ is a nice cruising lake about 25 or so mi. long and is constant level. Marble Falls another small lake, more like a wide spot in the river, but nice for cruising. Lake Travis at 60+ miles long is awesome when water is up. Lake Austin (kinda like Parker except narrower in places) used to be great, but too many boats and too many rules to be fun anymore. Not part of the HL, but Canyon Lake near New Braunfels is a pretty nice lake, though I haven't been there in a few years.

Possum Kingdom (Hell's Gate and party cove is on the bucket list for this year or next), west of Ft. Worth, near Mineral Wells is also a very big lake (60+ miles long). Also, you might want to check out Lake Texoma. Large lake and lots of go fast boats there. Eagle Mountain Lake just west of Ft. Worth is a good choice. Good sized and lots of places to beach or raft up as I remember.

I keep my boat on Lake Conroe near Houston. Not that big of a lake, but big enough that you can stretch your boats legs if you want to. Main problem with Conroe is too damn many boats on the weekends and too many bulk headed properties. It's like a washing machine on the weekends unless you go up to the far north end of the lake. However, if you can get out during the week it is usually great. Several places to beach up and enjoy the day.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
We haven't had a chance to check out the boating scene, but have met some folks with vacation homes and boats at Possum Kingdom, so it's on our list:

[video=youtube_https;lW2MDmD76X0]https://youtu.be/lW2MDmD76X0[/video]

Also there's Tickfaw, which is a bit of a drive (450-ish miles / 7 hours) but so is SoCal to Havasu on a busy weekend:
[video=youtube_https;VTv9qP_66xo]https://youtu.be/VTv9qP_66xo[/video]

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
TX has great variety and lots of lakes. Austin area has some of everything, but also lots of crowds. Possum Kingdom and Whitney would be the 2 DFW lakes I'd spend time on as the other offerings though nice get crowded as most closer urban area lakes do.

The closest good freshwater lake to me, south metro Houston, is Conroe and it's 95 miles towing through Houston. I like it and though it gets crowed, I have yet to see it so bad we couldn't find somewhere to get away from the crowds. Biggest issue I have with Conroe is watching out for bassboats in tourney mode blasting through.

Travis is one helluva party and also some of the rudest boaters on the south end you'll find. But get up lake and things get peaceful. Beware cocktail cove as one can get trapped in the back and have to slowly work an escape through the huge raft of hotties and drunks.:skull

Another venue is the Gulf Coast and lots of cruising areas. Galveston Bay and Clear Lake are full of big boats, fast boats, sail boats, center console boats of all sizes, and plenty of dockside bars and restaurants. But it is saltwater and that means lots of maintenance issues above typical fresh water deals.

And their are many more lakes not mentioned in the thread that are flooded reservoirs that have great fishing but lots of old wood to deal with.....Livingston, Toledo Bend, etc. Boat with caution, but they're great recreation areas.

As far as gators, they are potentially there, but never heard of 'em in the LCRA chain north of Austin. Never seen any in Conroe. The big fishing lakes have 'em, but you really have to work to find them and get involved with them. Snakes are going to be seen anywhere bu seldom an issue. Saltwater is a whole different issue as one has to be aware of sting rays and jelly fish when out of the boat.

She's Mine

Reaction score
Highland lakes are arguably the best boating area in Texas. Lake Buchanan, Inks Lake, LBJ (Granite Shoals to us old timers), Lake Marble Falls, Lake Travis and Lake Austin. Buchanan very nice large lake when water is up with some nice scenery. No comparison to Havasu, but then, what is? Inks is very tiny, only about 4 miles long. LBJ is a nice cruising lake about 25 or so mi. long and is constant level. Marble Falls another small lake, more like a wide spot in the river, but nice for cruising. Lake Travis at 60+ miles long is awesome when water is up. Lake Austin (kinda like Parker except narrower in places) used to be great, but too many boats and too many rules to be fun anymore. Not part of the HL, but Canyon Lake near New Braunfels is a pretty nice lake, though I haven't been there in a few years.

Possum Kingdom (Hell's Gate and party cove is on the bucket list for this year or next), west of Ft. Worth, near Mineral Wells is also a very big lake (60+ miles long). Also, you might want to check out Lake Texoma. Large lake and lots of go fast boats there. Eagle Mountain Lake just west of Ft. Worth is a good choice. Good sized and lots of places to beach or raft up as I remember.

I keep my boat on Lake Conroe near Houston. Not that big of a lake, but big enough that you can stretch your boats legs if you want to. Main problem with Conroe is too damn many boats on the weekends and too many bulk headed properties. It's like a washing machine on the weekends unless you go up to the far north end of the lake. However, if you can get out during the week it is usually great. Several places to beach up and enjoy the day.

Wow, that video of Hell's Gate that Pronstar posted is bad ass... That looks fricken gorgeous. These are definitely some great suggestions. I think we are going to take a weekend trip or two out to Austin this summer and look around. We were checking out Marble Falls last night on the web and it seems like a very nice area.

Thanks for all the info.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
So completely different than the question you posed (don't you love when people do that), Georgia may be worth looking into, not sure what the job market in Atlanta is like for your fianc?, but cost of living is really low compared to socal. Right outside Atlanta is Lanier and Allatoona, then within a couple hour drive is Hartwell, Murray, Cumberland, and a lot more. All big lakes, clear water, all have poker runs so theres powerboats on all of them.

I will say that nothing is like Havasu. Havasu is filled with custom powerboats all the time. From what I've seen, all other lakes around the country are filled with either runabouts (Regals, Chaparrals, etc) or center consoles. Not a bad thing, its just different so expect that.

Old Texan

Reaction score
So completely different than the question you posed (don't you love when people do that), Georgia may be worth looking into, not sure what the job market in Atlanta is like for your fianc?, but cost of living is really low compared to socal. Right outside Atlanta is Lanier and Allatoona, then within a couple hour drive is Hartwell, Murray, Cumberland, and a lot more. All big lakes, clear water, all have poker runs so theres powerboats on all of them.

I will say that nothing is like Havasu. Havasu is filled with custom powerboats all the time. From what I've seen, all other lakes around the country are filled with either runabouts (Regals, Chaparrals, etc) or center consoles. Not a bad thing, its just different so expect that.

We lived in Atlanta 2000-2006 and kept our boat on Lanier. Fantastic lake with plenty of getaway coves and such despite the big crowds.

Hartwell was a 50 mi. tow and big lake with very little traffic.

She's Mine

Reaction score

We have talked about Georgia as well. She went back for a funeral a month ago and noticed a lot of big companies are located out there as well. She has been researching where the job market is strong and right now it seems a lot of large companies are relocating to Texas and Tennessee.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
We have talked about Georgia as well. She went back for a funeral a month ago and noticed a lot of big companies are located out there as well. She has been researching where the job market is strong and right now it seems a lot of large companies are relocating to Texas and Tennessee.

Tennessee has some nice waterways as well. And very very low cost of living.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
We lived in Atlanta 2000-2006 and kept our boat on Lanier. Fantastic lake with plenty of getaway coves and such despite the big crowds.

Hartwell was a 50 mi. tow and big lake with very little traffic.

I'm doing a week at each lake this summer. Hartwell in June and Lanier in July. Renting a house on the water each time.

Old Texan

Reaction score
I'm doing a week at each lake this summer. Hartwell in June and Lanier in July. Renting a house on the water each time.

Lake Lanier Islands Resort has been updated over the past years and great stop to eat. They rent boats also if you weren't aware.

We used to love the month of Lobsterfest......All you cared to eat lobster for $40.00 a head. I don't believe they do it anymore, but I still remember great fresh big lobster.:skull;)

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

A co-worker was building an 8500 SF house just outside of Atlanta.
They stopped after 5500 SF (basically left their basement unfinished) because he realized "who the fuck needs a house this big?" :p

rrrr

Reaction score
Lewisville, Texoma, and Possum Kingdom are the best lakes in north Texas. If I were you I would stay away from the Houston area.

She's Mine

Reaction score
Lewisville, Texoma, and Possum Kingdom are the best lakes in north Texas. If I were you I would stay away from the Houston area.

Why do you recommend staying away from the Houston area?

rrrr

Reaction score
Because Conroe is so rough it's never fun. Lake Houston is dirty and muddy. Somerville is small and shallow. The San Jacinto river is brackish and dirty. Livingston has trees everywhere and too many bass boats.

Did I leave anything out? :D

boataholic

Reaction score
Just visited Texas, specifically The Colony and Frisco area which bumps up against lake lewisville. Nice area, decent size like however the water was not very clear.