WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boating question. Or puzzle..?

MeCasa16

Reaction score
I need to replace my filler necks. I thought it would be no big deal. I assumed it would fit through the cutout on my boat and over the tank. Well it doesn’t. And the hose is too rigid to bend in there. Anyone have some strategy, tips, or advice?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

ltbaney1

Reaction score
i take it the tanks are glassed in, stopping you from unbolting them and leaning them out and slipping that on?

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Is there enough length to cut the hose in half. Shorten the two pieces, and use a union to allow room to slide down, and then up over the filler neck? All from the inside? You end up with 4 clamps, one at the tank, one at the filler, and one on each side of the union.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
How far off are you size wise up top? I see the pic but can't tell.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Is there enough length to cut the hose in half. Shorten the two pieces, and use a union to allow room to slide down, and then up over the filler neck? All from the inside? You end up with 4 clamps, one at the tank, one at the filler, and one on each side of the union.
This is an interesting idea.. there isn’t much clearance. Total height is only about 5” with about 1-1 1/2” between the bottom of the filler and the top of the tank..

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Learn to contort your body into unnatural positions and stand on your head at the same time, piece of cake. 😂

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Looks like you could cut out the the gunnel/deck on the OD of the hose and still mount the filler. 3rd picture, post #1

braindead

Reaction score
That’s some pretty thick hose, you sure that isn’t exhaust hose?

MeCasa16

Reaction score
That’s some pretty thick hose, you sure that isn’t exhaust hose?
I ordered it from fillernecksupply.com so I hope not. It's literally the same spec as the stuff I cut out.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Depending on your grip strength (un-lubed :oops:) you may be able to force the tube in on itself, like a C-shape. That may get the diameter small enough to go through the hole, as it opens on the inside, then lube and push onto fill pipe.

braindead

Reaction score
Looks like you could cut out the the gunnel/deck on the OD of the hose and still mount the filler. 3rd picture, post #1

get a die grinder bit and stick it in your drill and go to town, easiest way in my opinion.

and don’t loose those gas caps, those spectra caps are getting harder and harder to find, I picked up one as a backup JIC

braindead

Reaction score
I ordered it from fillernecksupply.com so I hope not. It's literally the same spec as the stuff I cut out.

this hose from gates is only an 1/8” thick and looks like it might squeeze down the hole.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I'm back to the union idea as you can use the room all the way up to the inside of the gunnel/deck, and then push the filler into the hose and screw it down. Loose clamp on first!

Edit: you might not even need a clamp on top if the fit is good. No fuel is gonna go up.

Edit 2: Can you do this without cutting the hose in half, trim it? Slide down on the tank part way, clamp, and then still get the filler to go inside?

MeCasa16

Reaction score
I’ll try this stuff and report back..

v6toy4x

Reaction score
piece of plywood, holesaw the 2-3/8 hole in it, center it up over the deck hole, clamp in place, use it as guide and run the hole saw thru the deck opening it up to the 2-3/8" leaving plenty of material to re attach filler cap??

Mototrig

Reaction score
View attachment 978416

Ugly drawing, but might work
This was my exact idea as well.

To elaborate a little more....

According to the photos you provided looks like there is only a small gap between the top of the tank filler neck and the bottom of the filler cap neck.

You should have enough contact on either end for one hose clamp top and bottom of the hose.

Last edited:

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Carefully - cut off a little at a time until you get it to the right size.... use a caulk that is compatible with fuel.... to "seal the cut area" .... being that it will not be exposed all the time.... I "THINK" this might work. minimum amount of cutting would be ideal. best of luck..... let us know what happens.

GAS HOSE 1.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
That was like calling me a pussy, without calling me a pussy 🤣🤣.
Nah, depending on the hose manufacturer that stuff can be burly. Between that, and the temps out here, my hands haven't been as strong lately. Guess that's a good thing...my grip was much stronger as a single fellow:p