WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boats for sale

hallett21

Reaction score
Don’t mean to make this a hot topic but what has happened to finding a used boat lol.

@RiverDave toy syndicate seems slow. Meaning not a lot of inventory.

Boat trader by manufacturer isn’t all that great. You’re better off the with the Facebook groups it seems. And these are boats ranging 5k to 500k in value.

Maxed out, Outdrive and Horizon are good for havasu but even then all of the good boats seem to be back door deals lol.

Just the way it goes these days? I still remember the boat trader magazine and the classifieds in hot boat. 🤷🏼‍♂️

hallett21

Reaction score
I need to start promoting and working on toysyndicate. Str8up toy trader is another good one to check out

I think there’s a bunch of business to be made. It’s so hard to find a boat these days.

I found your old Hallett on the Hallett page. Same with a clean 270, but it’s in Texas.

@Tank his boat is awesome.

26 DCB with twin 300s on RDP.

Other than that I got nothing I want to look at, and I have to imagine there’s more out there? Or maybe not?

boatnam2

Reaction score
First page of CL is all of the same zodiac that has been for sale for awhile. Slim pickings!

zhandfull

Reaction score
I was checking out the classifieds today and thinking stuff wasn’t moving very fast. Could it be higher interest rates are really putting the brakes on how people spend their money? Can’t afford to replace it so keep it.

hallett21

Reaction score
I was checking out the classifieds today and thinking stuff wasn’t moving very fast. Could it be higher interest rates are really putting the brakes on how people spend their money? Can’t afford to replace it so keep it.
Maybe? But good/sought after stuff always moves.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
People are still asking ALL the money for their boats. I’d buy right now if they’d get realistic on an easy transaction. They’re still tuned up for a fight. I’ll play the long game until they want to be realistic.

Tank

Reaction score
I think there’s a few things at play. I think people have money right now and don’t NEED to sell their boats coupled with boat sales are slow and inventory is down historically through winter. I think selling is more difficult right now as well with the higher interest rates for those financing and that banks won’t loan “boat loans” usually for boats over 10 years old and pulling money out of houses is not smart when the housing interest rate is 6.75 or whatever it’s at right now.

So, lots of things in play but I do agree. The selection is not great. Specifically in the narrow arena I’m looking at.

hallett21

Reaction score
I think there’s a few things at play. I think people have money right now and don’t NEED to sell their boats coupled with boat sales are slow and inventory is down historically through winter. I think selling is more difficult right now as well with the higher interest rates for those financing and that banks won’t loan “boat loans” usually for boats over 10 years old and pulling money out of houses is not smart when the housing interest rate is 6.75 or whatever it’s at right now.

So, lots of things in play but I do agree. The selection is not great. Specifically in the narrow arena I’m looking at.

Your boat is worth every nickel IMO. There’s a Hallett that’s close in comparison but it’s carburetored, older and is possibly less cared for. Given who takes care of yours lol.

Either way, it’s a wide spread that buyers need to sift through to find inventory.

Tank

Reaction score
Your boat is worth every nickel IMO. There’s a Hallett that’s close in comparison but it’s carburetored, older and is possibly less cared for. Given who takes care of yours lol.

Either way, it’s a wide spread that buyers need to sift through to find inventory.
Thanks! I think it’s fair. I’m sure someone that wants a turn key, low maintanence, clean, wave crusher will come along and snatch it up. 😉😁👍 Then I can do my part and stimulate the economy by spending more for the next one.

Tank

Reaction score
Hold on to your hats 🎩
I actually agree. It’s coming. Just a. Matter of when. I was positive it was coming in 2020.. Bubble adjusts or pops every 10 years historically. We’re on year 15! 😳

Luckily I’m fairly insulated so ill
Try to hold out to replace current boat and buy in havasu until the market drops. I’m thinking we’ll see significant change by end of year.

Xring01

Reaction score
I actually agree. It’s coming. Just a. Matter of when. I was positive it was coming in 2020.. Bubble adjusts or pops every 10 years historically. We’re on year 15! 😳

Luckily I’m fairly insulated so ill
Try to hold out to replace current boat and buy in havasu until the market drops. I’m thinking we’ll see significant change by end of year.
Yeah, but inflation is keeping pricing high… on everything… including eggs. LOL.

On the housing bubble burst thread… I thought we would have seen a toy discount by now. But I was obviously wrong.

Maybe its coming, or waiting for a banking collapse.. My crystal ball is obviously broken.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I follow the boat market relatively closely and have for many years.

The custom/ west coast style lake market is in a unique place, IMO. They really haven’t made that many custom boats after 2008 or so- so the majority of boats in this space are over 15 years old. The stuff that has been produced after that is/was big money new- and that has pushed up used prices. I don’t think there’s really a “bubble” for the “custom” stuff in decent shape that most of us are looking for.

The stuff that’s sitting from what I’ve seen are boats that appeal to a smaller number of buyers, like higher priced stuff, bigger boats/ boats with twins, boats with big power or non-merc power, and stuff with wild colors, etc.

Reasonably priced MCOBs and WTOBs with stock fuel injected merc power in decent shape are still moving. Same with deck boats.

Like always, there is plenty of overpriced stuff out there with unreasonable sellers- not talking about anything I’ve seen on here, but they are all over CL and the like.

It’s still a little early in the year for many buyers, and I think a lot of stuff isn’t listed yet. A lot of people are just finishing desert season and just now getting into the market to buy. I think we will see more action by end of April. There isn’t a lot to choose from at this point that hasn’t been on the market for several months.

I also think a lot of the nicer/ expensive stuff changes hands behind the scenes and by word of mouth.

There are quite a few really nice bigger boats with twins for sale on here, but I think your average buyer is looking for something 21-25’ with a single engine. There’s also a really clean Lavey 2750 MCOB listed in the classifieds.

I see a lot of closed bow boats sitting on the market for longer periods of time compared to the same boat in an open bow. There are a few 240-270 Hallett closed bows listed for reasonable prices, and 2FF’s Son’s 210 looked like an excellent deal for what it sold for.

Single engine Daytonas seem to be bringing all of the money.

I can’t comment on toons, wakeboats, or big dollar cats, as I don’t really follow those markets.

I just picked up a 24 Lavey NuEra, buddy found it on Tuesday night, and Thursday morning I drove to California to drag it home.

I keep reading about doom and gloom, but good boats are getting harder to find and prices keep rising, I didn’t want to miss out. The deals are out there if you’re willing to buy.

pkbullet

Reaction score
Seems like quite a few 340 MTI’s on the market all priced high.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I started shopping for a ski boat back in Nov. and it took me until Feb to find and buy what I wanted. Initially, I researched ads for about a week to see what the market was. This gave me a little idea of what my 15-20K budget would get me. I found very few boats available on CL and Boat trader and tons of boats on Facebook Marketplace and Offerup. Many boats were listed on both.

I learned that there was often a vast disparity from pricing between comparable boats. I'd see 2 boats nearly identical priced 10K apart sometimes. And another thing worth mention is how widely varied the definition of "good condition" can be. I even tried a WTB ad here on Riverdaves. Many people in here advised me that I wouldn't find what I wanted in my budget. Most were absolutely wrong.

Another thing worth mention is many people think their stereos are the most important part of a boat. The ad starts with how many speakers the boat has or number of amps instead what kind of drivetrain or hours the boat has or hull or interior condition. I skipped right past those idiots.

I think the market is great for buyers at least for ski boats.

Last edited:

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Their have been some doozys this weekend.

1998 25 Daytona with 330 HP motor for $65k

2007 22 Eliminator Eagle Jet for $60k

1987 Eliminator 23 Daytona for $65k

Where these people come up with their prices is beyond me.

c_land

Reaction score
What sites is everyone using now to list boats?

Craigslist seems to have fallen off and Facebook market place has the most garbage search function.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Personally for me I have lakes boats both my wife and I really like. Twin engine cat and toon market is pretty pricy now in my opinion. I am looking for something to use around the harbors that I can trailer. I like the boat C-YA just picked up and am considering a world cat.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score

I hear you guys. The 21 DCB / Elim 2X2.5 boat I had was twice the boats above for 1/2. People are still O2 deprived from wearing masks…

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
I think new prices being so high has driven up used prices in some regard. I know I’d be selling mine for less if I could replace with new for less, but I can’t, because these MFGs want all the margin.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I hear you guys. The 21 DCB / Elim 2X2.5 boat I had was twice the boats above for 1/2. People are still O2 deprived from wearing masks…

Definitely agree with the oxygen deprivation affecting judgment these days....lol

Biggest issue I see in the used market are people trying to get dollar for dollar of what they put into the boat. Literally the guy with the 1987 Daytona said he put $100k into it. I just don't see the value in putting that kind of money into a boat like that.

Orange Juice

Reaction score

What’s the replacement value? That’s where it’s starts…..then you negotiate from there.

I value my 1985 21’ Eliminator at $35k.

Everything starts to sell in May. No one wants to be boatless over the summer. Do you want a $10k, 20 year old Bayliner to run around the lake? Nothing wrong with that, but it’s not an Eliminator.

The custom boat market is very similar to the general aircraft market now, except there are more potential boat owners.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
Definitely agree with the oxygen deprivation affecting judgment these days....lol

Biggest issue I see in the used market are people trying to get dollar for dollar of what they put into the boat. Literally the guy with the 1987 Daytona said he put $100k into it. I just don't see the value in putting that kind of money into a boat like that.
Don’t low ball him he knows what he has 😂

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
What’s the replacement value? That’s where it’s starts…..then you negotiate from there.

I value my 1985 21’ Eliminator at $35k.

Everything starts to sell in May. No one wants to be boatless over the summer. Do you want a $10k, 20 year old Bayliner to run around the lake? Nothing wrong with that, but it’s not an Eliminator.

The custom boat market is very similar to the general aircraft market now, except there are more potential boat owners.

What is your 21 Eliminator?? Is it a Daytona? What power,?

got wood

Reaction score

I have some great vintage flats show quality coming up if anyone is interested

Orange Juice

Reaction score
What is your 21 Eliminator?? Is it a Daytona? What power,?
It’s not for sale, and it’s a small block alpha with a closed bow. Stored inside. 50 gallon tank lasts all day.

If an average 1968 camaro convertible with a v8 can get over $35k, my Eliminator is worth at least that. ;)

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
It’s not for sale, and it’s a small block alpha with a closed bow. Stored inside. 50 gallon tank lasts all day.

If an average 1968 camaro convertible with a v8 can get over $35k, my Eliminator is worth at least that. ;)

Is it a Daytona?

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
I was under contract for months on an older Skater in Florida. It fell through because the issues identified by survey couldn’t be addressed due to the hurricane. Qualified folks were too busy and the seller was swapped with work and other matters.

So I’ve been looking again for the last few weeks and am finding that there are no real killer deals out there however, there are reasonable ones within the realm I’m looking. I’ve dropped the idea of getting a cat and am now looking at very clean closed bows with staggered big block blue motors and XR drives or better.

Im getting real close again and hope to have something under contract in the next week or two.

As always a cash purchase gives you a leg up. Two separate Brokers told me lenders are no longer financing anything older than 10 years, period. Since I’m looking at 2004 to 2012 boats, I benefit from the reduced buyers pool as well.

I remain optimistic..

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Another thing worth mention is many people think their stereos are the most important part of a boat. The ad starts with how many speakers the boat has or number of amps instead what kind of drivetrain or hours the boat has or hull or interior condition. I skipped right past those idiots.

I think the market is great for buyers at least for ski boats.

Isnt that funny, people boast about the boat stereo and speakers. I never really understood that, but to someone who is into beaching and blasting it may be important.

Congratulations on finding your float by the way.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score

Hello, these are Eliminators! If we were talking about any other manufacturers i could understand the confusion. Haha i may be a bit biased though.

riverroyal

Reaction score
What's this summer's big sellers?
Pontoons?
Wake sports?
Used power boat?

What gonna sell? 40k to 60k?
70 to 100?
Is the 200+ market strong?

CobraDave

Reaction score
Man I want a pontoon ASAP but these prices are up there….never thought 80k wouldn’t get me
Shit but an old Suntracker

counterpart7

Reaction score
As mentioned by others, I believe a lot of it is based on the price of new boats these days.

Most 21-24’ family/performance V’s are $90k+ new(Cobra, Nordic, Shockwave, Essex, Tahiti, Hallett) with stock merc power. Many of these boats(hulls) are virtually un-touched since the early 2000s.

If a brand new one is $90k+, a 15-20 year old version in good shape for $35-50k isn’t such a bad deal. When the manufacturers start to drop prices, the used market will follow.

Joe mama

Reaction score
Should be able to pick up an Ass Buggy for less than 80K.

Icky

Reaction score
Hello, these are Eliminators! If we were talking about any other manufacturers i could understand the confusion. Haha i may be a bit biased though.
Right, it's not like the market is flooded with Daytonas right now.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Hold on to your hats 🎩
American offshore sold for 23k two days ago.

336732217_952965319207217_7453026209003715241_n.jpg

riverroyal

Reaction score
Man I want a pontoon ASAP but these prices are up there….never thought 80k wouldn’t get me
CobraDave lets talk.....I feel some changes coming soon for Riverroyal
What are you looking for?
Budget?

Reactions: DWC

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score

I second this! When I re opened dialog last month with dealer, he said I am not gonna be happy with prices since we talked last. I knew that was coming, but holy effin shit! I shoulda just bought RD's.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
I've seen quit a few on marketplace. Non ready to run, but some nice big 42-50 footers.

gqchris

Reaction score
Isnt that funny, people boast about the boat stereo and speakers. I never really understood that, but to someone who is into beaching and blasting it may be important.

Congratulations on finding your float by the way.
Its crazy, and it goes both ways! When I sold boats, I saw boat deals go bad because the stupid $100 head unit wouldn't power on. They backed out of deal.

Who cares about the freaking stereo, its amazing that people are so obsessed over it.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
As always a cash purchase gives you a leg up. Two separate Brokers told me lenders are no longer financing anything older than 10 years, period. Since I’m looking at 2004 to 2012 boats, I benefit from the reduced buyers pool as well.
Some of the insurance providers are backing away from insuring them as well...without a survey. There was a thread post on it last year regarding foremost that I copy pasted from a notice from them.

Cash is really only a benefit IMO on speeding up the transaction...a lot of "nice" or "expensive boats" are owned outright by people...and if they aren't desperate to make a payment there isn't going to be a fire sale so to speak. A lot of the new deck boats are $30-50k more new than they were 2 years ago...so a 2-5 year old boat hasn't taken much if any hit, and hell it may sell for more than it did new.

The 10+ year old stuff though for a cash buyer is not a bad spot to be in if its what you are after...deals will pop up.