WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

BoatWorks OC - outboard shop

Halvecto

Reaction score
Picked up a Whaler a few years ago. It had a 1958 Mercury Mark 55 40hp on it. I ran it (very temperamental) for a season and then last year it had electrical problems and quit on me. It is a classic engine for the nostalgic period correct restoration, but a pain for what i want. So this spring, I did some research and found BoatWorks OC down in San Juan Capistrano. Rich works on all kinds of older (and newer) outboards. We ended up working a trade for my old engine to "update" to a 1982 Mercury 25 hp which is a much better set up for the 13' Sport and more turnkey for the kids to run. They also did some transom and fiberglass work for the install.

I know there are some great shops that many of you guys work with, but Rich seems to be a good resource for the older and smaller outboard work that can be tough to come by.

Here is a few shots of his shop. As you can see, he's got a bunch of engines around the shop. I haven't run it yet, but look forward to seeing how it does.

Attachments

• IMAG0192.jpg
    IMAG0192.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 651
  • IMAG0190.jpg
    IMAG0190.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 656
  • IMAG0189.jpg
    IMAG0189.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 645
  • IMAG0191.jpg
    IMAG0191.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 653

RichNic

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures and info. Looks like a great resource.:thumbsup

Halvecto

Reaction score
949-218-9749
www.boatworksoc.com

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tite Squeeze

Reaction score
my boats been there on and off over the last month of so. they have been very helpful and prices are good. i had them install a new used trim pump and its giving me sum trouble but im sure they will help me out with it as they have been very helpful thus far. btw i saw ur boat there lol

Halvecto

Reaction score
CHANGE....Boatworks OC opinion temporarily taken back due to new developments, there seems to be a difference of opinion and it may be the fault of the credit card company. Further updates forthcoming.

You didn't see my boat there, I live nowhere near that state! All I'll say is that I'm not being treated too well now!

Huh? :headscratch:

hotrod53

Reaction score
I ran into some wrong parts issues, it took a little time to get it resolved, but they went out of their way to make sure it was addressed. I realize that buying parts unseen and based on a description, can sometimes be difficult. I kinda gave him a bad rap at first only to find out later that some of it was related to Discover card.

Technically Rich knows boats, he was a big help to me finding the right parts. As far as used parts, I think he has a little of everything. I was impressed when I saw the pictures of what he has.

Tite Squeeze

Reaction score
I ran into some wrong parts issues, it took a little time to get it resolved, but they went out of their way to make sure it was addressed. I realize that buying parts unseen and based on a description, can sometimes be difficult. I kinda gave him a bad rap at first only to find out later that some of it was related to Discover card.

Technically Rich knows boats, he was a big help to me finding the right parts. As far as used parts, I think he has a little of everything. I was impressed when I saw the pictures of what he has.

agreed. i have had a few issues with a used trim pump he installed. the pump kept finding air to get in the system. he replaced all the seals and everything. it would work good for a day or so then it wouldnt go up all of a sudden. but he stood behind his work doing everything he could to make things work out. even outside his warranty time of 30 days. i just picked up the boat again today and everything seems awesome now..but as far as the engine work i had them do they got my rude running bitchin...thing screams for a lil baby. will gladly go back there again and intend to.

Deborah

Reaction score
If you?re considering taking your boat for repairs or buying a motor from Boatworks OC, do yourself a favor and go somewhere else. The great price for that used motor will turn into a much bigger expense by the time you work out the ?glitches? on your own. Don?t let the promise of a 30 day warranty dupe you into thinking this business will actually stand behind their work?they won?t. Google the owners, Rich Minota and Nicole Fronczak, and see who they are. Then go to:

https://sites.google.com/site/boatworksoccomplaint/

and read about just one of the many boat owners they?ve screwed. If you check out reviews on Yelp, read the filtered ones. That?s where the real reviews end up.