WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bob Fitzpatric Anaheim Hills CA, Restored 74 Spectra 20

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Here are a few pics of my buddy's 74 Spectra 20, as you can see this thing was PINK when he bought it.. Complete tear down and repaint.

74 Spectra before restoration 10-05.jpg
BF 74 Spectra Restored 1.jpg
BF 74 Spectra Restored 2.jpg
BF 74 Spectra Restored 3.jpg
BF 74 Spectra Restored 4.jpg

Last edited:

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I would have left it pink and thrown a ton of HP at it. then laughed at the looks on peoples faces as they got spanked by a pink boat....Kind of like Lynch in his Purple Schiada

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The boat was sick pink!! The boat is even sicker now!! :)

I'd love to see some more indepth pics of it! Engine bay, etc..

How does it run? (speeds?)

Where does he usually run it at?

I like where he put the grab handle. :) Doesn't detract from the looks of the boat.

RD

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
RD, the engine is a fairly mild BBC, full rooler 4 bolt block, plans in future to possibly super charge it. The boat runs in the mid 60's, and is a great cruiser.

This is an old Coast Guard boat (the original owner found it up around the Delta) and is very heavy, Spectra laid the Coast Guard boats up like battering rams,SUPER HEAVY.. this thing goes through chop like you would not believe.

Bob usually stays at Big Bend on the Parker Strip, Mid October and Mid May. Bob is not that computer savy and neither am I, but I am trying to get him to sign on and he can get more info to you.

I am in the process of restoring a 74 Spectra 20 as well. Hope to be done October 09'.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Kind of a dumb question here.. But why would the coastguard want a white and pink boat?

RD

l84theriv

Reaction score
Hey dave, i have the hot boat mag from when that boat was originally restored from a coast guard rig to the pink resto. i think it was done in the early ninetys. i will try to find the mag and put up some pics

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Yes your right it was repainted in the early 90s and hot boat did a articial on it.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I84theriv, if you have the Hot Boat mag, please post what year and month for us, when my buddy bought ther boat the original owner who did the resto told us that it was in HB but could not find the magazine. I would like to get an archive edition of it but have not been able to find the specific date. You are correct it was restored in the early 90's, that explains the colors.... Everything was pink at one time, engine mounts, trailer, etc....was great for that era but did not carry over well to the new decade. We got some pretty funny looks pulling this thing home on the 101, just two guys out for a day with their Pink boat.::gayfight

l84theriv

Reaction score
I will do that. It may take awhile, they ae at my parents house and i have hb mags from 1988 to pesent. But i will find asap.

lucky

Reaction score
hey by the way mr dave , when in the hell can i post my avartard lol

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Yes, the original colors were your typical Coast Guard colors, Tan Brown and I believe it had an orange stripe on it as well. I think the Original Spectra Marine had an article or two on the 20 being used both on the Colorado River and the Saremento Delta as patrol boats. The boat was repainted Pink in the early 90's.
If anyone knows what they used for the non skid we would like to know, a 9" grinder with a 24 grit disk would not put a dent in the non skid, a chemical stripper used in the aviation industry had to be used to get the stuff off. Too bad but with the repaint and a few touch ups the Non skid just looked bad.

78 Continental

Reaction score
If im not mistaken the non skid was actually in the mold when they build the boat. It is part of the Gell/fiberglass of the boat. Cool boat I remember seeing it when it was for sale a while back.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
hey by the way mr dave , when in the hell can i post my avartard lol

You should be able to put an avatar up right now? PM me if your having problems.

Yes, the original colors were your typical Coast Guard colors, Tan Brown and I believe it had an orange stripe on it as well. I think the Original Spectra Marine had an article or two on the 20 being used both on the Colorado River and the Saremento Delta as patrol boats. The boat was repainted Pink in the early 90's.
If anyone knows what they used for the non skid we would like to know, a 9" grinder with a 24 grit disk would not put a dent in the non skid, a chemical stripper used in the aviation industry had to be used to get the stuff off. Too bad but with the repaint and a few touch ups the Non skid just looked bad.

Nonskid was done in the mold. It should be just gelcoat?

If im not mistaken the non skid was actually in the mold when they build the boat. It is part of the Gell/fiberglass of the boat. Cool boat I remember seeing it when it was for sale a while back.

RD

boatnam2

Reaction score
RD, the engine is a fairly mild BBC, full rooler 4 bolt block, plans in future to possibly super charge it. The boat runs in the mid 50's, and is a great cruiser.

This is an old Coast Guard boat (the original owner found it up around the Delta) and is very heavy, Spectra laid the Coast Guard boats up like battering rams,SUPER HEAVY.. this thing goes through chop like you would not believe.

Bob usually stays at Big Bend on the Parker Strip, Mid October and Mid May. Bob is not that computer savy and neither am I, but I am trying to get him to sign on and he can get more info to you.

I am in the process of restoring a 74 Spectra 20 as well. Hope to be done October 09'.

I cant believe it in 8 years of online boating someone tells the truth on how fast there boat is.....

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
You know I have been around Flat Bottoms all my life, from a 401 Nail Head in my dads spit fire, a Boss 429 in my brothers 69 Sanger, to a BBC in My 77 Sanger, and one thing has stayed true, makeing it look like it goes 100mph and cruising it all day long is a lot of fun. I laugh at all the guys that through out that triple digit number because they bolted a set of headers on a stock Big Block....especialy trying to push a Spectar 20 through the water. Just tell the truth and if you really want triple digits you gotta have the bucks to make it happen. MY guess is that most people that spout off how fast their boats are would probably wet their pants at anything over 90..

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
RD, the engine is a fairly mild BBC, full rooler 4 bolt block, plans in future to possibly super charge it. The boat runs in the mid 50's, and is a great cruiser.

My grandpa had a SUPER heavy Spectra 20. one of the first ones out of the mold. I know what you mean about riding well. it had a 455 Olds with a V-drive and would only run about 45 mph but god it rode nice! lol!

Shit, it was soo heavy, my grandpa used a torsion bar hitch to tow the thing for long distances! lol!

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
000_0006.jpg
000_0007.jpg
000_0003.jpg
000_0004.jpg
000_0002.jpg
000_0005.jpg
Posting some pictures for my buddy Bob.. here are some interior shots and engine bay.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
He really did a nice job on this boat.. :) I love the interior!

I'm not really a fan of the spacer for the aircleaner and the scoop (I would've done it all under the hatch personally) but different strokes for different folks.

RD

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
The spacer on the air cleaner was there when Bob bought the boat, the hatch was done terrific as far a structure and functionality so he did not change anything there, just recovered it. The original owner originaly had everything underneath but felt the motor was starving for air. Once he opened it up it helped out and also helps keep the engine compartment cool and aired out.

The interior was done by Don Dameron out of Bellflower, and it is nicer in person, this boat is super clean.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The spacer on the air cleaner was there when Bob bought the boat, the hatch was done terrific as far a structure and functionality so he did not change anything there, just recovered it. The original owner originaly had everything underneath but felt the motor was starving for air. Once he opened it up it helped out and also helps keep the engine compartment cool and aired out.

The interior was done by Don Dameron out of Bellflower, and it is nicer in person, this boat is super clean.

You just gave me an idea for a little different style engine hatch I'm going to do if I ever get the chance. :) Thanks!

RD

alohajeff

Reaction score
Who's responsible for the re-do on the exterior? That's damn sexy right there! I've got a 24XS that the previous owner painted RED... last year the floor was replaced, motor rebuilt, and this year I want to focus on the exterior. Seeing this boat gave me motivation and inspiration - Thank you!

Aloha

Just Electric

freway offramp panhandler
Reaction score
I would have left it pink and thrown a ton of HP at it. then laughed at the looks on peoples faces as they got spanked by a pink boat....Kind of like Lynch in his Purple Schiada
im with you on that one. can you imagine when you teach the little lady to drive it and then she goes out and spanks someone

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score

If that is indeed a CG Spectra, chances are very good that I worked on it or ran it at one time or another. There were 4 of the 20's built for us. 2 were out here at the River, 1 was in Channel Islands and ran Lake Mohave, and the 4th was out of Long Beach and ran Lake Mead.

If it had the original engine, it would have been bored .30 over with TRW 10/1 pistons, machined con rods, and balanced crank. My signature would have been engraved in the oil pan if it was one of the 3 that I rebuilt.

There was also a 24' we called "Porky" that was in San Diego and an 18' we had out here. The 18' was bad ass. We built that with an L88 Vette manifold and tricked it all out. 800 Holley double pumper, Mallory ignition, and blue printed Berkley. We ran it through the NJBA 1/4 mile traps at Blue Water at 78 MPH. :D

SoCal Detail

Reaction score
If that is indeed a CG Spectra, chances are very good that I worked on it or ran it at one time or another. There were 4 of the 20's built for us. 2 were out here at the River, 1 was in Channel Islands and ran Lake Mohave, and the 4th was out of Long Beach and ran Lake Mead.

If it had the original engine, it would have been bored .30 over with TRW 10/1 pistons, machined con rods, and balanced crank. My signature would have been engraved in the oil pan if it was one of the 3 that I rebuilt.

There was also a 24' we called "Porky" that was in San Diego and an 18' we had out here. The 18' was bad ass. We built that with an L88 Vette manifold and tricked it all out. 800 Holley double pumper, Mallory ignition, and blue printed Berkley. We ran it through the NJBA 1/4 mile traps at Blue Water at 78 MPH. :D
There was a guy trying to sell a Life Guard Spectra in San Diego over this past summer on Craigslist. It didnt look like a 20 or a 24?

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
The owner of the boat did 99% of the work on this resto. Bob was working at B&K boat repair in Bellflower when he did the boat. Kenny Meyers laid out the stripes and shot the Purple.

The guy Bob bought the boat from said he found it up off the Sacremento Delta and it was still sporting the coast guard colors, he then restored it in the early 90's to the Pink Boat and then Bob bought it in 05'.

SS-55

Reaction score
I have been told by a good source the coast gaurd Spectras were built with counter-rotating engines for docking purposes. However this could be common knowledge for all I know? Cool to see a forum for the Spectras. Cut my teeth on a 24 v-drive cruiser when I was real young, like newborn:D.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
I have been told by a good source the coast gaurd Spectras were built with counter-rotating engines for docking purposes. However this could be common knowledge for all I know? Cool to see a forum for the Spectras. Cut my teeth on a 24 v-drive cruiser when I was real young, like newborn:D.

No. They were standard 4 bolt 454s.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
If anyone is near Long Beach, Fits is taking his Spectar 20 out to the catalina Ski race to check out the sights and boats. Let us know if anyone else is headed out there, would love to see a showing of Spectras.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Nice spectra Fitz! Welcome to RDP!

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
No but I am going October 5 to 7, November 1 to 4 and the weekend before Thanksgiving (Fiday to Monday)

fitz spectra 20

Reaction score
I am so happy that Kenny is working on Cliff boat he is the master and will come up with something different in every boat he paints, beleive me it will look great in whatever he dose. cant wait to see the colors ??

Five O

Reaction score
Hot Boat issue was July 1991. I too had a Spectra 20 that was a Coast Guard boat, and I restored. Really wish I kept it.
2012-09-03_09-01-49_386-1.jpg

Last edited:

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
The guy that made it pink was a cabinet maker, contractor, some kind of wood working guy. Put a lot of work into it, and then I had to get him 'straightened out' in a lot of areas. Months in the shop, taking things apart and reassembling, realigning, fabrication, tuning and adjusting. He had a lot of great ideas, just very few practical ones, like wanting "water INJECTED thru transom headers". (it's a covered engine bay) I don't really care if we got credit for all the work we did in the mag, his checks were good ! Nice to see that boat again ! "Everything old is new again".

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
He still had the water injected thru transom headers on the boat when Bob bought it, as a matter of fact I just sold those headers a few months back. I found that magazine for Bob at Vet Stadium swap meet, went thru 4 or 6 boxes of magazines and yes it was the last one in the last box. Boat is really nice and had great hardware, were you working up in the San Fernando valley when you built this one?

fitz spectra 20

Reaction score
here are some picture at B&K when I was working their.

Attachments

• S5000164.jpg
    S5000164.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 814
  • S5000163.jpg
    S5000163.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 833
  • S5000162.jpg
    S5000162.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 839
  • S5000161.jpg
    S5000161.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 822
  • S5000160.jpg
    S5000160.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 831
  • S5000159.jpg
    S5000159.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 829
  • S5000158.jpg
    S5000158.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 835

fitz spectra 20

Reaction score
I bought the boat 10-8-2005, Clif and I pick it up brought it home and tore it apart to the bare hull and 2 weeks later brought it to B&K where I was working at the time and after hrs I workrd on it late at night and had it done and in the water first week of augest 2006 not bad.

Last edited:

fitz spectra 20

Reaction score
This boat came to me with a can of worms It was a nightmare, anyways I gave it a cap job and repaired alot of cracks and painted it in my garage, white, with royal blue flake, wiried it and installed hardware and engine.

SPECTRALEN

Reaction score
Hi Bob,
Your paint is great.:cool I'm getting ready to have mine painted and with a similar theme but using blue with gray and silver.
I was wondering if you had some close-up pics of how the stripes are laid? And if so, can you post them?
Thanks, Lenny.

fitz spectra 20

Reaction score
Hi Bob,
Your paint is great.:cool I'm getting ready to have mine painted and with a similar theme but using blue with gray and silver.
I was wondering if you had some close-up pics of how the stripes are laid? And if so, can you post them?
Thanks, Lenny.

Hi lenny, Yes I will take some detailed pictures of the strips Just give me a couple of weeks OK

SPECTRALEN

Reaction score
That's OK, Cliff already sent some to me and it's being painted right now. Thanks.:thumbup: