WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bob Leach to be the GM of Interceptor Boats!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Press release from Interceptor this morning

To release April 24, 2020, 8:00 AM

Lakeside Marine and Interceptor Custom Boats are pleased to announce that Robert (Bob) Leach has accepted the position of General Manager of the boat operations. This marks the return of one of the greats to the Southern California and Colorado River boat markets. Bob first made his mark on the marine industry when, in 1969, he created Eliminator Boats. To many, he is the father of the west coast custom boat business. Bob brings a great deal of knowledge and experience with him to this position, but most of all he brings his gentlemanly charm to a business known for its share of the rough and tumble. In spite of his passion for boating, Bob is the first to tell you he has slowed down. “I don’t want to go 200MPH anymore…. 185 is fast enough”.
Interceptor Custom Boats offers three models of boats. A 25’ vee bottom, and 26’ and 28’ deck boats, all available in I/O or outboard configurations.
Those wanting to wish Bob well are encouraged to call or come by the factory (by appointment).

renodaytona

Reaction score
That’s great for Bob and I think interceptor will do well with his knowledge.

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
I may be a little bias
20190922_114930.jpg

but I believe Interceptor's 25 is the best current new boat deal even without Bob. With Bob I see Interceptor doing very well if the market holds.

Backlash

Reaction score
Bloomington. Pretty close to one of the premier composite and resin distributors in SoCal....in case you didn't know.... 😉

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Press release from Interceptor this morning

To release April 24, 2020, 8:00 AM

Lakeside Marine and Interceptor Custom Boats are pleased to announce that Robert (Bob) Leach has accepted the position of General Manager of the boat operations. This marks the return of one of the greats to the Southern California and Colorado River boat markets. Bob first made his mark on the marine industry when, in 1969, he created Eliminator Boats. To many, he is the father of the west coast custom boat business. Bob brings a great deal of knowledge and experience with him to this position, but most of all he brings his gentlemanly charm to a business known for its share of the rough and tumble. In spite of his passion for boating, Bob is the first to tell you he has slowed down. “I don’t want to go 200MPH anymore…. 185 is fast enough”.
Interceptor Custom Boats offers three models of boats. A 25’ vee bottom, and 26’ and 28’ deck boats, all available in I/O or outboard configurations.
Those wanting to wish Bob well are encouraged to call or come by the factory (by appointment).
I remember a chain about how well Interceptor showed at LA Boat show this year. Great value.

Mike K

Reaction score
Bob is the Godfather of our lifestyle and full of class and real genuine care of his customers. So glad to see he’s always in the game ... Congratulations to the coolest guy in high performance boating . 🍻

traquer

Reaction score
Haven't met Bob yet, but I heard he's the best. Super stocked to hear the news!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Update: Bob's no longer at Interceptor. Spoke to him yesterday. It didn't work out between them is about all I got from talking to him. He's looking for the next thing.

More turbulent waters for interceptor.. :(. I’m glad that Bob is in good spirits and looking for the next thing

boatnam2

Reaction score
I was just going to post what happened to ICB a few days ago and decided don't need another negative thread.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I was just going to post what happened to ICB a few days ago and decided don't need another negative thread.

what’s negative? If it helps potential customers make a wise choice, How is that negative? unless it’s not true.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Really sucks because their 26 Deck is so nice and works really well from what I heard.
I only quote you here for mentioning the 26.

This whole thing took me by surprise.
I had met with Bob and Cindy on a Friday at Interceptor to see the newly constructed spray booth and give them a list of materials needed to do a 26.
The following Tuesday I hear he is no longer with the company.

I don’t really have time to be doing extra work at Interceptor. But I would have made the time for Bob.

I’ll keep my opinions to myself at this point, but I’ll say there are plenty of other boat builders out there.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I expected this a long time ago. The writing has been all over the wall for a long time in any thread interceptor came up in.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Not surprised, nuff said. Wishing Bob luck and all the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Glad I didn't put a deposit on one. I would have only been a buyer if Bob was there. Bob has always been a class act. Literally, in 1978 my dad sunk one of the first V-drive Daytona's and Bob gave him a new boat!

boatnam2

Reaction score
No I wasn't talking about bob but ICB in general, there was lots of press on them then nothing for a long time. I was so close to putting money on one.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
No I wasn't talking about bob but ICB in general, there was lots of press on them then nothing for a long time. I was so close to putting money on one.

I was looking at their 25 with an outboard pretty hard just because the price point was so good.

guest hs

Reaction score
You guys wonder why the big four names I mentioned are building boats? Pretty obvious with all the new molds coming out unlike stale models from years gone by their other competitors. Taking an old stale boat and throwing a 4 stroke outboard on it isnt going to cut it either. People want new if they are going to put the money out. Really surprised more builders have not used a bottom from one of the their larger V hulls and tooled up a center console deck and put multiple outboards on it.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You guys wonder why the big four names I mentioned are building boats? Pretty obvious with all the new molds coming out unlike stale models from years gone by their other competitors. Taking an old stale boat and throwing a 4 stroke outboard on it isnt going to cut it either. People want new if they are going to put the money out. Really surprised more builders have not used a bottom from one of the their larger V hulls and tooled up a center console deck and put multiple outboards on it.

It's not a horrible idea, but the true bad ass CC's are wider than your older West Coast V's.. For myself I'd love to have a 30/33' CC with a 10' beam that is able to run with twins or triples. The original 33 (I think it was) Deep impact was absolutely the best CC I have ever seen for West Coast... It was just ahead of it's time.

RD

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
Anyone know who is in charge now that bob is gone...

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

I wonder this as well, have been hearing about a CC coming out soon from a few of the west coast guys, but they don't ever seem to materialize. Wasn't Baron doing one as well? DCB has concept drawings up

HCP3

Reaction score
I wonder this as well, have been hearing about a CC coming out soon from a few of the west coast guys, but they don't ever seem to materialize. Wasn't Baron doing one as well? DCB has concept drawings up

Nordic too.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

DCB shelved the idea (even with multiple deposits) I am not sure where Nordic is on the subject, we put up a pic of one, I know they have the molds for a large one, but we’re told to take it downjist Hours later. Barron is still working on one and it looks phenomenal in the renderings. Their deck looked phenomenal in the renderings too though and in person it wasn’t received with the same enthusiasm.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
DCB shelved the idea (even with multiple deposits) I am not sure where Nordic is on the subject, we put up a pic of one, I know they have the molds for a large one, but we’re told to take it downjist Hours later. Barron is still working on one and it looks phenomenal in the renderings. Their deck looked phenomenal in the renderings too though and in person it wasn’t received with the same enthusiasm.
Seems like a huge hole in the west coast market ready to be filled! I know i want one....

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Seems like a huge hole in the west coast market ready to be filled! I know i want one....

You think so? there is a reason DCB and Nordic haven't produced their CC. Its a different boat scene our here and if people wanted one you get one from the East, but again you don't see that many locally to make that investment.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You think so? there is a reason DCB and Nordic haven't produced their CC. Its a different boat scene our here and if people wanted one you get one from the East, but again you don't see that many locally to make that investment.

The reasons are more simplistic than you think. DCB could only take on one big project at a time and they chose the true tunnel cat. Easier to make higher profit and more in their wheel house.

The main problem for DCB and Nordic is when it comes to the finished product.. the buildings they are in are short on height. When you add the tower snd the upper controls etc shit gets pretty tall pretty quick. Lol

Done-it-again

Reaction score
The reasons are more simplistic than you think. DCB could only take on one big project at a time and they chose the true tunnel cat. Easier to make higher profit and more in their wheel house.

The main problem for DCB and Nordic is when it comes to the finished product.. the buildings they are in are short on height. When you add the tower snd the upper controls etc shit gets pretty tall pretty quick. Lol

If they are "lake" boat CC's they don't need a tower helm controls and i haven't seen a MTI or Mystic with them Shit Nordic fit the Elm cat in their building. Guys with upper controls are fishing in the ocean not boating in a lake.

Those high dollar CC bring the money too, you just need the market for it, and I don't see that on the west. But they do well on the East.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If they are "lake" boat CC's they don't need a tower helm controls and i haven't seen a MTI or Mystic with them Shit Nordic fit the Elm cat in their building. Guys with upper controls are fishing in the ocean not boating in a lake.

Those high dollar CC bring the money too, you just need the market for it, and I don't see that on the west. But they do well on the East.

Nordic could get away with just regular tower and no upper.. It’s been a ling time Since Inwas at DCB but I don’t remember them having tall bay doors. I’ll ask Tony.

for DCB their production schedule is full with M37’s that are much easier to build than a CC so I don’t believe they will chase that market at this point.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

Seems like everyone is breaking their necks when a CC with triples or quads pulls up in Havasu. With the recent explosion of outboards, and the popularity of "bring the party" people movers, seems like a match made in heaven.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

The question I have is where would people in the west use these big center consoles? Not being a beach person I don’t know but does the West Coast have an intercoastal waterway that I’m unaware of with white sandy beaches?

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
The question I have is where would people in the west use these big center consoles? Not being a beach person I don’t know but does the West Coast have an intercoastal waterway that I’m unaware of with white sandy beaches?

Where the east coast has beaches we have moorings lol. San Diego being the exception.