WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bob Warren Hurricane Boats

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Whatever happened to Bob Warren of Hurricane boats ? They were built back in the 60's and 70's I think.
My first boat was a 24 Hurricane Daycruiser , L88 427 475 HP , velvet V -drive , a really cool boat . I was the
second owner , the guy before me built most of it from a bare hull .

sergeantmike

Reaction score
Bob Warren Custom Boats Warren Custom Boats Warren Craft (hurricane) Hurricane Boats 11423 Vanowen St #27 N Hollywood 91605 Los Inboards, Cabin Cruisers Inboard/outboard, Sterndrive, Inboard/outdrive via google

B---S---

Reaction score
last I heard about him was from my grandfather around 1997 . he lived in reno and was ill at the time wife and son had passed . the business had shut down around 1985 . I was lucky to have one of his old K boats . my granps had 2 of his cruisers that he helped build they were very good friends.I well look for some old pics

sergeantmike

Reaction score
Any additional info on him? Place of birth, date of birth, family names, etc?

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
last I heard about him was from my grandfather around 1997 . he lived in reno and was ill at the time wife and son had passed . the business had shut down around 1985 . I was lucky to have one of his old K boats . my granps had 2 of his cruisers that he helped build they were very good friends.I well look for some old pics

Thanks , I appreciate that .

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
I was a customer, vendor to them and friends. Bob, Steve and Vivian would always come bye to drop off scoops (Steve laid up) and pick up hardware for one of their boats. Even if i were going to Camonics (Ed) I'd roll on back to say 'Hi' to some good old friends and see what Bob and Steve were building. I remember Bob being so happy about the cut down, injected hemi wood decker they were building for a guy named "Rabjohn". Wish I still had my 17'3" Hurricane flat. What happened to the molds ??? Last time I talked to Bob was at Red Rock about 1999/2000. I learned how to do gel, lay up, and build hulls from them, and their boats were flawless, inside and out. Thanks for bringing back some good memories.

Attachments

• ruff & ready 1977 001.jpg
    ruff & ready 1977 001.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 2,321

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
I was a customer, vendor to them and friends. Bob, Steve and Vivian would always come bye to drop off scoops (Steve laid up) and pick up hardware for one of their boats. Even if i were going to Camonics (Ed) I'd roll on back to say 'Hi' to some good old friends and see what Bob and Steve were building. I remember Bob being so happy about the cut down, injected hemi wood decker they were building for a guy named "Rabjohn". Wish I still had my 17'3" Hurricane flat. What happened to the molds ??? Last time I talked to Bob was at Red Rock about 1999/2000. I learned how to do gel, lay up, and build hulls from them, and their boats were flawless, inside and out. Thanks for bringing back some good memories.

...Would you happen to know if "Rabjohn" was Dick Rabjohn???...

warrent

Reaction score
Just saw you post about Bob Warren. I am his grandson, Steve was my father who helped bob with building most of the boats. Bob died in 2007 and Steve died in 92 or 93. My brother actually has all the blue prints for the molds and such. I was wondering if anybody knows where any of his boats are? I tracked one of the bare hulls to WA but was sold about a month ago to someone taking it to Alaska.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Welcome! The boats pop up for sale every once in awhile. The last couple that I've seen were wood deckers and basket cases in need of complete resto's. Google Hurricane or Warren Hurricane and see hwat pops up. Last one I remember was a basket case in the Palm Springs area.

Boat Anchor

Reaction score
Just saw you post about Bob Warren. I am his grandson, Steve was my father who helped bob with building most of the boats. Bob died in 2007 and Steve died in 92 or 93. My brother actually has all the blue prints for the molds and such. I was wondering if anybody knows where any of his boats are? I tracked one of the bare hulls to WA but was sold about a month ago to someone taking it to Alaska.

Pete Giroux of Giroux Speed and Marine in Camarillo Ca. (1-818-203-8695) has a 17' 3" wood deck flatbottom hull pretty much striped and in need of a new wood deck and paint. He might be willing to part with it. Give him a call.

Good luck,

Boat Anchor

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score

For sale

AzGeo

Reaction score

If you are thinking of building more of the flatbottoms, please look me up...

SS 201

SS 201 Schiada
Reaction score
I drove a 17.3 for a test drive in a apba sanction race in Buffalo, NY in about 1962 or 63. Powered with a 427 Ford mill. It was extremely fast and hairy ride, but a great ride. His boats were built well and handled well.

Hurricane68

Reaction score
Pete Giroux of Giroux Speed and Marine in Camarillo Ca. (1-818-203-8695) has a 17' 3" wood deck flatbottom hull pretty much striped and in need of a new wood deck and paint. He might be willing to part with it. Give him a call.

Good luck,

Boat Anchor

Found it still at Giroux Speed, Tyler Warren or Travis Warren if you see this ti all there needs deck done finish work " Wild Bill" 001.jpg Reno Nv.

skiboater

Reaction score
Boat 003.jpg

This boat was made in 1976. I'm the original owner. I worked at the shop building engines and pumps . Your dad was a great person. mike

Attachments

• Boat 002.jpg
    Boat 002.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 575

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
Nice looking boat. :thumbup: I've always like the lines of his boats.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Welcome to the board Gondola2!! Nice boat!

RD

Dkahnjob

Reaction score

My son has a Hurricane 18' outboard (same hull as the V-Bottom jet boat). It was number 1 out of the mold when a friend (Mike) worked there and my son got the boat from Mike who has owned it since 1976 when it was built. It still looks like new. See picture in previous post.

AzGeo

Reaction score
I would like to find the 17'3" flat molds, they were quite the overall performance hulls back then. I loved the one I got from them back in 1975. Steve agreed to show me and allow me to 'tape and spray' my simple pattern on the molds. Then he took me through the entire process, from gel through laminations, on to wood work, then final glass clean up, then on to bonding the hull and deck together. My hull was as smooth under the deck as it was on top, yet all my friends called my new boat 'an old design', right up until I got it in the water. If you ever find the Warren 17' 3" flat tooling look me up, I'll buy it if it's any good.

burbankbob

Reaction score

Hi, I am an old friend of your dad's. I grew up with him, we raced dirt bikes and water skied together. I still have my flat bottom we built back in 1975. He and I build our flat bottoms next to each other in the shop. BTW I was married to his sister (your aunt) for a few years.

I am going to try and sell my flat bottom soon so I will be posting some pictures here soon. It good to see folks remember Bob and Steve, your father had a great talent, he could build anything out of fiberglass and paint it as well.

burbankbob

Reaction score
...Would you happen to know if "Rabjohn" was Dick Rabjohn???...

I know this thread is a year old but I just found the forum.

Yes it's one and the same... I was there building my flat bottom when Dick had Bob start on his. It was a beauty!!

Rickybobby

Reaction score
:worthless_1_: lol !!!

We need pics !!! Love the ol skool stuff !!!!!!

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
I know this thread is a year old but I just found the forum.

Yes it's one and the same... I was there building my flat bottom when Dick had Bob start on his. It was a beauty!!

Welcome Bob! There is a little more V-drive action in the V-drive Section at Performance Boats (dot) com than here. You may want to visit that site as well.

Post some pix of your boat!

burbankbob

Reaction score
Welcome Bob! There is a little more V-drive action in the V-drive Section at Performance Boats (dot) com than here. You may want to visit that site as well.

Post some pix of your boat!

Thanks Carl.. I will post pictures soon.

burbankbob

Reaction score
Guessing that you were around Glendale-Burbank when Billy & Bobby Campbell were building in the area?

Yes born and raised in Burbank, that's how I met Steve was in Jr. High. We road motorcycles and raced in the desert back in the day. I also was married to his sister Wendee for a few years as well. I spent about every day for a year down at the shop building my boat that was from around 1974-1975. I worked nights at Lockheed so I was there pretty much all day till I had to go work.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
My son has a Hurricane 18' outboard (same hull as the V-Bottom jet boat). It was number 1 out of the mold when a friend (Mike) worked there and my son got the boat from Mike who has owned it since 1976 when it was built. It still looks like new. See picture in previous post.

Resurrecting the dead...any chance your son still has his Hurricane? One of my buddies here in Vegas is supposed to be buying one this weekend. He was told there were only 2 outboard boats built...this is one of them. Might it be your son's?

instagator

Reaction score
I knew Steve, how did he die so young?

MOUZER

Reaction score
i sold a wood decker 18ft flatty to pete gurow (last name spelling is wrong) he made trailers and flatties out in ventura oxnard area.......had this sticker in the floor between the seats.............
hurricane-412387.jpg

old rigger

Reaction score
i sold a wood decker 18ft flatty to pete gurow (last name spelling is wrong) he made trailers and flatties out in ventura oxnard area.......had this sticker in the floor between the seats.............
hurricane-412387.jpg

Giroux, we use to use his trailers at Rogers.

Always liked that Hurricane decal. Had a T shirt I bought at the stadium about 10 years ago with that on it.

warrent

Reaction score
Hey everyone

I want to say thank you to everyone for posting stuff about dad and grandpa. I also want to say sorry for taking 5 years to reply. In my defense i was getting out of the Army and moving abroad so i kinda lost contact with many things back then. I am still tracking as many boats as i can so if you have any current info let me know.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Hey everyone

I want to say thank you to everyone for posting stuff about dad and grandpa. I also want to say sorry for taking 5 years to reply. In my defense i was getting out of the Army and moving abroad so i kinda lost contact with many things back then. I am still tracking as many boats as i can so if you have any current info let me know.

Welcome to the site. :)

Kellsmen1186

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I see this post was started quite a longtime ago. I only just learned of the Warren Hurricane boats. A friend of mine came into the possession of one and it was stripped of the motor/steering, and the interior has deteriorated to the point that we had to take it out. I am new to boats but another friend is confident that the hull/stringers/fiberglass is all still pretty good. I brought it home tonight and started cleaning the grime off the bow and right side. I'll post a couple pics. I am located in Washington state near Seattle. This boat was located out on Whidbey Island for quite sometime. If anyone has more info on it please message me. Otherwise, it is super cool for find some folks that appreciate it like I do and I didn't even know what it was!! Screenshot_20210422-195836_Facebook.jpg 20210505_230915.jpg 20210505_231329.jpg
Screenshot_20210422-195836_Facebook.jpg
20210505_230915.jpg
20210505_231329.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Todfthr

Reaction score
Bob and Steve were legends. My family grew up with this group. My folk introduced Steve to Karis. So many great memories.
C442C144-0B9D-4B87-815E-27333AA98E5E.jpeg
D0A3C86C-B6A2-4A1D-8E6A-F027C752254E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: