WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

BOBCAT OR CAT SKID STEER?

kimbalee

Reaction score
Just bought 5 acres relatively flat land, more sandy than clay/rocks in NV. Looking to purchase either a bobcat or a cat to do rough grading and all things needed to build a house. Construction guys - which model would you choose and why one over the other? Will probably look for one at a Ritchie Bros auction - an outlawed Commiefornia (CARB) one that is legal in NV unless you guys know of some where/some way better to find one.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
I have over 15 compact machines which are a 50/50 mix of Bobcat brand and Caterpillar. The Cat compact track loaders (CTL) kick ass! Buy a 259, 279 or 289 and you won't be sorry. CTL's are so much more productive for dirt work and grading over a traditional skid steer it's not even funny. If your project is sandy a track machine is a must. Stay away from multi terrain loaders (MTL's), they are very expensive to keep tracks on in good condition.

kimbalee

Reaction score
This is exactly what I was looking for - thank you very much. I will begin researching now :)

yz450mm

Reaction score
I have over 15 compact machines which are a 50/50 mix of Bobcat brand and Caterpillar. The Cat compact track loaders (CTL) kick ass! Buy a 259, 279 or 289 and you won't be sorry. CTL's are so much more productive for dirt work and grading over a traditional skid steer it's not even funny. If your project is sandy a track machine is a must. Stay away from multi terrain loaders (MTL's), they are very expensive to keep tracks on in good condition.
This X 1000!

DLC

Reaction score
When you buy make sure tracks are in good working order, price out what new tracks cost.

i have used the tire Bobcate for many years but think I’d lean to track type machine

NicPaus

Reaction score
I have a Cat with tires. Reason they call them skidsteers. Leaves marks everywhere Lol. Don't use it enough to justify a tracked machine. It sits majority of the time but when needed works like a champ.

goshen82

Reaction score
I have 3 bobcats I like the foot control setup over the joysticks on a cat. But I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a cat either. Like said above I would buy a track machine over tires for grading. I have had great luck with my bobcats I have 7000 hours on my oldest machine. Also whatever you buy I would try to get the models without def fluid. My new one is a 740 and that’s the biggest you can go in bobcat without having to use def.

HBCraig

Reaction score

I worked for Bobcat and Cat back in the day.

Do NOT get an MTL. The CTL line for Cat is great. The track loaders for Bobcat are good as well. Mark sure you fully understand how to maintain and adjust the tracks. There are regular zerk fittings ans high pressure zerk fittings as well.

If I were you I would get a used unit that has a tier 3 engine. The contractors are slowly being forced to get rid of these to conform to newer emissions

Your ad here

Reaction score
The 863 Bobcat is a great machine. I would get the triangle headlight model over the rectangle headlight model but both are good. Cat is a nice machine but $$$. Being 5 acres and if you know you dont need attachments I would take a strong look at a New Holland 445 or 545 4wd model. They're older machines but great for fine grading and general property maintenance. I've ran both and would take a New Holland skip loader over a skid steer.

575cat

Reaction score
Trac loaders ck running gear very good bogies & bearing eaters , I have had to do my own gets very $$$$$$ . Tracs I dont care if they are gouged or worn they will still last . Once you go joysticks you wont want levers & pedals .

wet hull

Reaction score
Trac loaders ck running gear very good bogies & bearing eaters , I have had to do my own gets very $$$$$$ . Tracs I dont care if they are gouged or worn they will still last . Once you go joysticks you wont want levers & pedals .
I agree. The level of fatigue with tracks and joysticks is far less. When I run the solid wheel bobcat with foot controls my brains is rattled loose and back hurts for days. Only plus side is compaction.

Bajastu

Reaction score
I’ve been in the heavy equipment industry for over 26 years and 16 of those with CAT. Both Bobcat and Cat make a great machine but buy a 259 CTL. It will be a good all around machine for grading, digging, and so on. It’s the Swiss Army knife of the compact world. Hands down the best CTL built.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Just bought 5 acres relatively flat land, more sandy than clay/rocks in NV. Looking to purchase either a bobcat or a cat to do rough grading and all things needed to build a house. Construction guys - which model would you choose and why one over the other? Will probably look for one at a Ritchie Bros auction - an outlawed Commiefornia (CARB) one that is legal in NV unless you guys know of some where/some way better to find one.
Look at kaboa we love ours and 0 interest 7 years mine will be paid off mid 2021
FA020519-30BB-40F8-9E57-78966A2AF0DD.jpeg

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
I went with Kabota as well. My main question is why buy? Are you going to be using it after the house is built? If not then I would rent one or hire out the grading.

Havoc Powesports

Reaction score
I run Kubota Sv 95-2 machines for our excavation business. Been running Kubota's for years. Have an older 2015 Kubota SV90-2 with 8000hrs on it still working every day. I do recommend joysticks over pedal controls along with getting the high flow hydros. not knocking others but our T770 bobcat couldn't keep up, so it is used strictly for our laser final grading which it is greatat.

For purchasing check your local dealers over richie bros (never know what the true shape is in). We buy ours as rental sales. negotiate even more off price and get them to throw on a warranty as well if it is close to being out usually they have around 600-1000hrs.

scottchbrite

Reaction score
I have just gone through this in the last 2 years. I built a house and shop on 5 acres. I have an older skip loader and access through family to skid steers and mini excavators. I don’t recommend “rough grading” as your most likely going to be wasting time and money. Just have it graded correctly at one time with properly engineered plans. I have friends and family that have ”rough graded” pads only to find out their idea doesn’t work or what they spent a week on was just a waste of time,etc. The real question is what will you Use it for after the house is done? What about doing utility trenching yourself? Irrigation and trees? Weed abatemen? And so on. I used so many different pieces of equipment to build my house, many I rented or borrowed. I did pay for the grading of the house and shop pads- 4’ of over ex, soils testing, proper compaction and drainage (D8 and a 960 loader). I went with a skip loader because it was cheap, I use the gannon alot and I have a mower attachment too. I’m also shopping for a pto post hole digger attachment Because I have fencing to do. I used to be a heavy equipment mechanic and working on skid steers suck. My skip loader is very easy to work on. Its all preference. I’ve used them all and they all have pros and cons.

kimbalee

Reaction score
I have just gone through this in the last 2 years. I built a house and shop on 5 acres. I have an older skip loader and access through family to skid steers and mini excavators. I don’t recommend “rough grading” as your most likely going to be wasting time and money. Just have it graded correctly at one time with properly engineered plans. I have friends and family that have ”rough graded” pads only to find out their idea doesn’t work or what they spent a week on was just a waste of time,etc. The real question is what will you Use it for after the house is done? What about doing utility trenching yourself? Irrigation and trees? Weed abatemen? And so on. I used so many different pieces of equipment to build my house, many I rented or borrowed. I did pay for the grading of the house and shop pads- 4’ of over ex, soils testing, proper compaction and drainage (D8 and a 960 loader). I went with a skip loader because it was cheap, I use the gannon alot and I have a mower attachment too. I’m also shopping for a pto post hole digger attachment Because I have fencing to do. I used to be a heavy equipment mechanic and working on skid steers suck. My skip loader is very easy to work on. Its all preference. I’ve used them all and they all have pros and cons.
This is so helpful and some great advice in here. We looked at the New Hollands as suggested above, also looked at the Cats & Kubotas and while everything you guys said is right on, we keep coming back to the size. The problem we face up there is no trees but also tons of close forest land. We can get a permit from USF to cut our own wood (winters are much colder than SoCal). When u start getting into those tractors that don't fit in a dump trailer safely, and are too big to stop for an F450, we have another whole set of problems. We have reached out to some private sellers & local auctions and y'all are right - the cats are hella expensive but we will keep looking. Thank you all for your incredible and sound advice - it is VERY much appreciated - I knew RDP would come thru. Thanks again.

HBCraig

Reaction score
I run Kubota Sv 95-2 machines for our excavation business. Been running Kubota's for years. Have an older 2015 Kubota SV90-2 with 8000hrs on it still working every day. I do recommend joysticks over pedal controls along with getting the high flow hydros. not knocking others but our T770 bobcat couldn't keep up, so it is used strictly for our laser final grading which it is greatat.

For purchasing check your local dealers over richie bros (never know what the true shape is in). We buy ours as rental sales. negotiate even more off price and get them to throw on a warranty as well if it is close to being out usually they have around 600-1000hrs.
I see a ton of Kubota equipment in my area now. They seem nice and popular now.

Do you buy yours from Eberhart?

Havoc Powesports

Reaction score
Im in Texas, I buy from Zimmerer.

Also another note on the skidders, is door entry access. you might not think much of it, but this was also a big deciding factor for us to go Kubota. the entry slips up overhead so if you need to yell real quick and have bucket up a little you can. if you need to yell out to somebody or they need to yell in at you, you got to put the bucket fully on the ground. you would be surprised how often you want to jump out and in or talk real quick.

I also tow them with Ram 2500s and 3500s on goosenecks and a tandem dump trailer...

Your ad here

Reaction score
Im in Texas, I buy from Zimmerer.

Also another note on the skidders, is door entry access. you might not think much of it, but this was also a big deciding factor for us to go Kubota. the entry slips up overhead so if you need to yell real quick and have bucket up a little you can. if you need to yell out to somebody or they need to yell in at you, you got to put the bucket fully on the ground. you would be surprised how often you want to jump out and in or talk real quick.

I also tow them with Ram 2500s and 3500s on goosenecks and a tandem dump trailer...
Funny you mention being able to yell. The last company I worked for has a Cat 262 something with climate control and a windshield door. I hated the door. Even in the summer when it was hot even though it has A/C. I wasn't able to yell at the guys. To offset that, the horn then became the yelling mechanism for me but fuck I would have to hold the button for 5 seconds before anyone paid attention. I was on my way to wearing the horn out.