WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

...Bobs Big Boy Toluca Lake...

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...I couldn’t believe it ...I was on their website and it said they are open for in restaurant dining and also for their drive up window Service...but the big one is they now have carhop service from 9 AM to 9 PM...Gave it a shot...there was virtually nobody there but I don’t think anybody knows about the carhop service???..,It didn’t exactly feel like my first trip to Bob’s for carhop service which would’ve been about 1960... but it was still kind of fun ...The carhop kept trying to take the tray away and I said I’m not done with it ...she must’ve heard about the old days where occasionally we would take the tray home with us...the bad part of it was there wasn’t going to be any street racing on the River Road🙀... Hard to believe I first started hanging out there 60 years ago🛎
87FAC57E-4B57-4546-93A8-7FA61242AC4E.jpeg

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Reminds me of the days when you put a heavy, gray, dirty 1 static assed knob speaker on your window at the drive in. :D And the old A&W’s

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
My second date with with my wife (18 years ago! ) was there. She was living in Burbank at the time. Man, what I wouldn't do to go back in time to the 50s and early 60s to hang out. My dad used to cruise and hang out there all the time.

Still love the flavor of the Big Boy burgers.

Last edited:

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
My (now) wife and I went there sometime around 2009-10ish, just to grab dinner and there was an impromptu car show going on including a couple of Jay Leno’s cars. I don’t even think we ate, just checked out all the cars it was awesome. I miss that SoCal car culture.

Reaction score
big boy almost too long ago to remember, but did they use a "like" thousand island dressing on there burgers ?

Cole Brewed

Reaction score
My high school Bob’s. good And crazy times..........

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I may have to load my dad up in the vert and take him over there. He'll s*** about eating in the car, too bad.lol

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
They bring back the car hop from time to time over the years. I think they did it for few years for only Saturday and Sunday evenings for particular hours if I recall. My grandma tells me she has an original menu from Bob's the first year it opened. Her and my Grandpa would go there all the time back in the day as my Grandpa was a real big hot rod guy in Burbank in the 50's on.

My (now) wife and I went there sometime around 2009-10ish, just to grab dinner and there was an impromptu car show going on including a couple of Jay Leno’s cars. I don’t even think we ate, just checked out all the cars it was awesome. I miss that SoCal car culture.

Every Friday night. Well not sure about all this covid stuff though.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
So took my father out for a burger today for an early father's day lunch and got talking about when he cruised Bob's in Toluca Lake as a kid. His first car he cruised there was his 58 Impala. Super rare three on the tree with the a 283 Power pack. Probably only about six made in that build. A lot of guys say the 283 was a much better engine than the 348 but I really don't know. What I do know is, I don't think there would be a cooler car to own in late 50s and early 60s than a 58 Impala to cruise Bob's in. Probably felt just like Toad in American Graffiti.

He also told me a funny story about him and his best friend took his friend's uncle's Caddy to cruise there. They hot-wired it and cruised all evening. His buddy ended up stalling it right in front of a cop and he had to get under the dash to get it going again. hahahaha! My dad has the best stories.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
So took my father out for a burger today for an early father's day lunch and got talking about when he cruised Bob's in Toluca Lake as a kid. His first car he cruised there was his 58 Impala. Super rare three on the tree with the a 283 Power pack. Probably only about six made in that build. A lot of guys say the 283 was a much better engine than the 348 but I really don't know. What I do know is, I don't think there would be a cooler car to own in late 50s and early 60s than a 58 Impala to cruise Bob's in. Probably felt just like Toad in American Graffiti.
My old man had a tri power 59 El Camino 348 with a 3 on the tree. Fucker was a sleeper!
He also told me a funny story about him and his best friend took his friend's uncle's Caddy to cruise there. They hot-wired it and cruised all evening. His buddy ended up stalling it right in front of a cop and he had to get under the dash to get it going again. hahahaha! My dad has the best stories.
My old man had a 59 El Camino 348 tri power and a 3 on the tree. Fucker was a sleeper!

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Now my next-door neighbor who is my cruising buddy is shopping for car hop trays...she doesn’t like Bob’s food so now it looks like will be going to other restaurants but will have our own trays to eat in the car ..:what is she thinking??)...wait a minute I think she’s thinking stay away from the Covid,,.Dunno???...

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
My old man had a 59 El Camino 348 tri power and a 3 on the tree. Fucker was a sleeper!
...back in my day hanging around Bob’s there were a whole lot of 58 59 and 60 Chevys with 348’s ... most of the 59 and 60’s and 61’s had lBorg Warner T 10 four speeds...

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
...back in my day hanging around Bob’s there were a whole lot of 58 59 and 60 Chevys with 348’s ... most of the 59 and 60’s and 61’s had lBorg Warner T 10 four speeds...
Most did. But then there were the rare ones...

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
We stole Bobs Big Boy in Santa Clara and put him on top of our gym at Piedmont Hills High in 1986 as Senior Class prank.....

Those original Bobs are worth a shit ton. Saw one go through Barrett Jackson and I think it went for like 15k. If I had one of those 25 car shops, I would have one for sure!!!!! Love old memorabilia like that. Gas pumps, signs, etc.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
We might have to do an rdp road trip! That sounds amazing!

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Hey Jake.
Wife's.
I bought it sight unseen 20 years ago on Father's day. had to go to a property and winch it out of the trash pile. Gave it to my dad and he started rebuilding it at age 72. Helped him restore it. He got to where he couldn't drive anymore and my wife used to take him to the runs. Then he gave it to her.

dave29

Reaction score
Bob's and Tommy's lover my whole life but I live in Co. Last week I had a buddy send me a mason jar of the relish. The Bob's burger recipe in online including the stacking order of the "stuff". Results were pure Bob's.
0616201749a.jpg

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Talked to my friend the honorable judge whatever his name is ...He cruised Bob’s Friday night and it was actually pretty good he said it was about 50% of its normal capacity but they did have the carhop service and it look like everybody was having fun...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Those original Bobs are worth a shit ton. Saw one go through Barrett Jackson and I think it went for like 15k. If I had one of those 25 car shops, I would have one for sure!!!!! Love old memorabilia like that. Gas pumps, signs, etc.

My buddy has one in his garage.. probsbly the same one you saw go through Barrett.

he also has this truck in his garage.. lol

941BE1AA-9E69-4807-B253-825F8CB13182.jpeg

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score