WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Body Scan International: Who’s done it?

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Doing this tomorrow. Price is $895 since KP doesn’t cover it.
Blue Cross PPO LAPD pay $350
They bring a trailer up to our Academy and it’s about 15 minutes.

About 40 SWAT Cops have taken it:
2 found blocked Aortas, one ended up with triple bypass.
Another buddy found stomach cancer in early stage and was lucky to have only 10% of his stomach removed and will return to work.

All these guys are 51-55, I’m 52. They are all in the top 10% of their fitness levels for their ages and all had 0 issues to know of their problems.

I know/worked with all of them, hit close enough to home for me to see what’s lurking in my systems.

I did a search of the lounge, didn’t see any threads on it.
Company is based in NB.

Any tales from those who have taken it?
Pros/ Cons?

All my buddies are glad they did it, enough to convince me to see for myself.

Last edited:

DWC

Reaction score
Haven’t done it but very intrigued now. Good luck.

Mikes56

Reaction score
I did it twice before I retired and my wife did it once. It was paid for by ALADS, which was my Union.

Even if you have to pay for it, it’s worth it. You can establish a baseline with your health and find out what’s going on inside you. I changed my diet and started taking cholesterol pills because I have some plaque near my heart. I never would have known otherwise.

You get your results right away and a Zoom type consultation with a Doctor.

caribbean20

Reaction score
Doing this tomorrow. About $950 since KP doesn’t cover it. They bring a trailer up to our Academy and it’s about 15 minutes.

Another buddy found stomach cancer in early stage and was lucky to have only 10% of his stomach removed and will return to work.

All these guys are 51-55, I’m 52. They are all in the top 10% of their fitness levels for their ages and all had 0 issues to know of their problems.

I know/worked with all of them, hit close enough to home for me to see what’s lurking in my systems.

Company is based in NB.

Pros/ Cons?

I’ve been doing them since my late 40s (63 now). Not full body, just vascular in neck and heart area. I did a thread on it about a year ago, I’ll dredge it up as it had quite a few replies. Former employer used to pay for them. Last one on my dime, they do them for a vastly reduced rate at a shop here in Denver, Touchstone Imaging, $99 not covered by insurance. They call it a public service as they strongly believe in them.

As you mentioned, the scans can be a life saver. I’m about average, which is fine by me, never left a lot of fun on the table.

PS Thread name was “Get the scan, only $90.”

PlanB

Reaction score
I did it years ago with no unusual findings. My father did it at the same time and they were able to diagnose him with heart disease. The tech told me there was a firefighter that came in every year. He was paranoid of getting cancer.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I’d like to do it. There was a place in Havasu thst used to do it for 750.00. I wish I could remember the name of the business now..

scottchbrite

Reaction score
I think Orange County Fire and Chino Fire offer it to their employees. I think in a Safety Position it would definitely help minimize an otherwise huge comp claim since cardiac and cancer is presumptive.

Havafewinsider

Reaction score
Doing this tomorrow. About $950 since KP doesn’t cover it. They bring a trailer up to our Academy and it’s about 15 minutes.

Company is based in NB.

Pros/ Cons?

I did a Cardiac CT at 40 and the weirdest thing about the process is the IV injection of iodine that immediately turns your body warm and terminates in your balls

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I think Orange County Fire and Chino Fire offer it to their employees. I think in a Safety Position it would definitely help minimize an otherwise huge comp claim since cardiac and cancer is presumptive.
LAPD offered it for 1/2 off back in the early 2000’s at times. I didn’t think about it in my 30’s, I was invincible (not) lol

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score

OCFA .... it’s covered through the Union... I did it two years before retiring. Found a small spot on my lung..... 6 month follow up with my doctor, x-ray should have shown the spot.... it didn’t... he gave me the name of the non issue typical thing... I don’t remember..., it’s been 7 years... thinking of do it again. Doctor said it’s a log

What is the process like?
full x-ray from top of neck to bottom of spine, full left to right. Lots of radiation, but I have three friends who found life threatening problems that they had no clue of being there....

Pretty much like a MRI..... you lay perfectly still... don’t even breath when they tell you not too...

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
They found somewhat advanced ovarian cancer in my Mom in 2002. Kaiser had missed missed a fairly large mass, despite watching her closely due to her having a significant family history.
It is a lot of radiation at one time though.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
They found somewhat advanced ovarian cancer in my Mom in 2002. Kaiser had missed missed a fairly large mass, despite watching her closely due to her having a significant family history.
It is a lot of radiation at one time though.
I carry radiation exposure tags on me at work that are exchanged every 3 months (x ray exposure)
We sign a waiver agreeing we know the dangers of radiation exposure.
Can’t hurt what I’ve already been zapped with 👍

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
Is the space enclosed like an MRI? My husband needs an MRI but is claustrophobic and couldn’t do it.

WYRD

Reaction score
Wonder if my brass balls would show up on the screen? 🤔

Seriously though sounds pretty cool never heard of it and at 45 it's something I got to start looking into

Last edited:

RodnJen

Reaction score
I did it through work a few years back. Didn't find anything but glad I did it. I used my HSA to pay for it so at least I was using tax free money. I'm probably due for another pass.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
373DA71E-4791-4BCF-81AC-94ABF2B815EB.jpeg
93D7604D-23F4-4812-8EB3-5F8A0BAA44E3.jpeg

Pic of website and the trailer Im doing it in shortly:

RaceTec

Reaction score
I am curious of the process as well... @musicFunsun have him check into the technology center at Hoag in Newport below the hospital, it is a much larger diameter MRI, I have had to go there yearly it is a little better...

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I did it through work a few years back. Didn't find anything but glad I did it. I used my HSA to pay for it so at least I was using tax free money. I'm probably due for another pass.
Going to try the HSA route to get some of it back
$895

About 7 hours of OT, well worth it if I haveto eat all of the cost.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
23DBB59F-31D5-49EF-83E8-B9945E8D2707.jpeg

Way less intrusive than any MRI pod,
More like a big x-ray machine you slide in and out can’t think anyone would be claustrophobic of this
Done in 15 minutes I have my WebEx meeting with the PA in an hour

WildWilly

Reaction score
seems like HSA would allow this, then again some of the stuff it rejects makes no sense...like Vitamins lol

LowRiver2

Reaction score
So as of today, of active LAPD SWAT Cops:
4 blocked heart valves
1 triple bypass

All found via this machine

I see about 3 Public Safety divers die each year AFTER a dive training day.
The thought is they had some blockage that lodged loose in the dive, ascent, etc, and had heart attack or stroke after the event.

I dive every month, that is my biggest concern (plaque/blockage).

sirbob

Reaction score
So this is X-ray only?

no MRI scan or PET scan?

gqchris

Reaction score
Does anyone else get anxiety just reading about this? I know what you dont know WILL KILL YOU if not caught early, but then you think, if I have a tumor and I just found out I have 6 months to live, do I want to know this ? Damn its pretty terrifying! Or like mentioned, its bening but you have to get it worked up and the agony. My wife would freak the fuck out.

I hate that I am getting older and things like this are a reality now! I am going to schedule one after my daughter is born in September. One major life event a time! LOL

Reactions: DWC

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Does anyone else get anxiety just reading about this? I know what you dont know WILL KILL YOU if not caught early, but then you think, if I have a tumor and I just found out I have 6 months to live, do I want to know this ? Damn its pretty terrifying! Or like mentioned, its bening but you have to get it worked up and the agony. My wife would freak the fuck out.

I hate that I am getting older and things like this are a reality now! I am going to schedule one after my daughter is born in September. One major life event a time! LOL

If I have 6 months to live I absolutely want to know this, I will spend the next 6 months at the lake.

I had a family friend who's grandmother died of breast cancer, her mom didn't get her first mammogram until her late 50's because she was afraid of what it would find. Well, it found stage 4. She beat it, but went through hell to do it. Starting mammograms on correct schedule there's a good chance she would have caught it earlier and had a much easier road. Just my 2 cents

LowRiver2

Reaction score
After doing a little talking about why KP isn’t covering these things and watching the video of the company:

1. It’s expensive
2. The Scan Co. (and health care companies know this):
Many people will not change their lifestyles to live longer, to be to the point, why spend the money on a scan for someone that won’t do anything (diet change, etc.) to change what is inevitable?

It comes down to many would not make the changes necessary to avoid a trauma event healthwise even if they had early warning.

The video shows a football sized tumor found in one scan, prettty crazy.

In short, I think the scan should be used for those that want to know a baseline and are willing to adapt their lifestyles if needed to avoid future traumatic events.
More like a dyno than anything else.

The video states the end goal is this tech for quick assessment of injuries and robotic surgery on the battlefield to save lives.

Great goals

LowRiver2

Reaction score
If I have 6 months to live I absolutely want to know this, I will spend the next 6 months at the lake.

I had a family friend who's grandmother died of breast cancer, her mom didn't get her first mammogram until her late 50's because she was afraid of what it would find. Well, it found stage 4. She beat it, but went through hell to do it. Starting mammograms on correct schedule there's a good chance she would have caught it earlier and had a much easier road. Just my 2 cents

I do oil changes on my truck so it doesn’t shit the bed on the 40, why wouldn’t I do this?

I spent $20k on my toon this winter, spending $900 to know if I’m on the right track to enjoy it was a no brainer

gqchris

Reaction score
After doing a little talking about why KP isn’t covering these things and watching the video of the company:

1. It’s expensive
2. The Scan Co. (and health care companies know this):
Many people will not change their lifestyles to live longer, to be to the point, why spend the money on a scan for someone that won’t do anything (diet change, etc.) to change what is inevitable?

It comes down to many would not make the changes necessary to avoid a trauma event healthwise even if they had early warning.

The video shows a football sized tumor found in one scan, prettty crazy.

In short, I think the scan should be used for those that want to know a baseline and are willing to adapt their lifestyles if needed to avoid future traumatic events.
More like a dyno than anything else.

The video states the end goal is this tech for quick assessment of injuries and robotic surgery on the battlefield to save lives.

Great goals

Im with ya guys on this one. I will use my FSA money also. Cheap Insurance. Why does our healthcare system not cover this by default? I think I already know the answers.

It reminded me of a video how Americans go to like Korea to a hospital where you get a FULL workup like this all in one day and its efficient and accurate. Something that the US lacks of in all areas!

gqchris

Reaction score

Agree, sacking up and getting it done! I also am approaching the Colonoscopy age at 47. I asked my primary care doctor to schedule and he is like, "Why, youre too young". Im like I want to know early. Gonna email his ass again and make him give me a referral.

Reactions: DWC

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I've wanted to do a body scan for sometime and for me its one of those things that I forget to research and check out. I think I'll take this time and checkout the health view website. I have no doubt my health insurance won't cover it but I'm going to check anyway.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Cardio:
Some plaque below the heart, Dr. said if it broke off, would go south. No issues for diving and low amount of plaque

Head/ neck: neck area degeneration but normal

Liver/Kidneys: 0 issues (I was sweating the liver )🤣

Lungs: scarring in lower right lung: environmental exposure ( I have an incident on file)

Back: Dr. said 90% of guys with the issues I have in L4/L5 complain of pain. I have none. He told me my core strength is the only thing keeping that area pain free.
I have some weird bone growth in my jaw, but not a concern per Dr.

All in all, I’m okay. Get to start taking calcium but that’s better than blood meds lol.

I’d do it again, they recommend three years.

One thing :
He told me to replace running with yoga
Not happening
Like the lady who rips butts to 90, I’m not giving up trail running and 10k’s yet.
My bad vices lol

Turnup

Reaction score
I think there's a way to set this up as a corporate event and slash the cost in half, I see businesses do this for their employees..an RDP scan function would be cool but could turn into a drunken mess afterwards with everyone betting on who's gonna depart first 🤣

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Do you get the results so you can forward them to your family doctor.
Yes
One on one with their Dr
Printed results mailed to you in two weeks
Its faster if major issues found

LowRiver2

Reaction score
LAPD has not (I know, surprisingly).
Every cardio , cancer case I know of personally has been covered no questions asked.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I think there's a way to set this up as a corporate event and slash the cost in half, I see businesses do this for their employees..an RDP scan function would be cool but could turn into a drunken mess afterwards with everyone betting on who's gonna depart first 🤣

Not going to lie,
One morning without coffee (up at 430, test at 930) sucked ass.
I have no shame in saying I need coffee to not be an adam henry in the am....