WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boeing stock

Duck'ed_Up

Reaction score
This is my personal opinion, the stock took a huge tank after that max 8 from Ethiopian airlines crashed. This is actually quite typical with any stock when either there is an accident or some sort of uncovered scandal. A lot of people act in fear or emotion which causes this downward spiral but the bottom line is the companies evaluation will remain unchanged. So yes now is the time to buy because once the dust settles they will be right back where they were. They are a massive company with huge resources so even if they are at fault it’s only gonna sting for a little bit. I will tell you this, if you buy some shares don’t check it on a daily bases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
This is my personal opinion, the stock took a huge tank after that max 8 from Ethiopian airlines crashed. This is actually quite typical with any stock when either there is an accident or some sort of uncovered scandal. A lot of people act in fear or emotion which causes this downward spiral but the bottom line is the companies evaluation will remain unchanged. So yes now is the time to buy because once the dust settles they will be right back where they were. They are a massive company with huge resources so even if they are at fault it’s only gonna sting for a little bit. I will tell you this, if you buy some shares don’t check it on a daily bases.

Is it common for large countries to ban certain aircraft from their air space after a crash? That was the first crash of that model that stood out in my mind so it caught me a little off guard that Canada banned it from their air space.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I’m waiting to see if the FAA is going to ground the American fleets before jumping on this bandwagon. That could have a drastic effect on BA stock!

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
I’m waiting to see if the FAA is going to ground the American fleets before jumping on this bandwagon. That could have a drastic effect on BA stock!

this. If the FAA grounds the planes in the USA, it'll tank some more. BA is still way up from their $294 Dec 2018 low. I see this as a temporary setback for Boeing, unless, airlines start pulling orders which are currently accounted for on Boeing's backlog.

Southwest may be another stock to pick up if FAA grounds the planes in the US.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Southwest flies 34 American flies 24. Not sure how large of an impact that will be. The planes have completed hundreds of thousands of flights. I would be more concerned on a Southwest flight than an American one based on the safety records. I'm flying Southwest to Nashville next month... Wonder what Plane I'm on...

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Wife's boarding one, Southwest in a couple hours. She's a little freaked. So she needs to get a bottle of her favorite wine. LOL

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
It would have been much more convenient/better buy in if Airbus held off their announcement about nixing the A380 for another month or so. I still see long term opportunity with the little I know about stocks

nowski

Reaction score
Speaking of stocks this one (AKTX) took off this morning...

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Wife's boarding one, Southwest in a couple hours. She's a little freaked. So she needs to get a bottle of her favorite wine. LOL
Understandable for sure. I love flying but it still scares the shit out of me

Singleton

Reaction score
Fly almost weekly on SWA. Not really concerned, the 737-Max flights are few and far between.
Granted the only aircraft SWA plans to fly to Hawaii is the 737-Max and they have been test flying those for a few months now.

Anyone remember when the 787 was grounded. So this has occurred in the past and Boeing resolved that so this will get resolved as well, once they know what caused the issue. That is the problem, no one knows why currently

Sandlord

Reaction score
Trump just grounded all Max 737-8 and -9. Stock dropping fast.
My buy price wont lock until market closes. This could be really good.
Glad he did it while market was still open.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Word on the street is the parts that are failing aren't OEM.
Some Cheng shin shit or something?
Low credcStreet rumor.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Low credcStreet rumor.
I heard that they were looking at the anti-stall software being the culprit? Heard it's very similar to a crash in Indonesia with another 737 last year I believe.

I read a couple articles but nowhere near certain on any of that.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Sandlord

Reaction score
Low credcStreet rumor.

well they do sent the planes to China for finishing. What could go wrong?
from wiki:
In collaboration with Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China Ltd., Boeing has built a completion and delivery facility for the 737 MAX in Zhoushan, China.[35][36] This facility initially handles interior finishing only, but will subsequently be expanded to include paintwork. The first aircraft was delivered from the facility to Air China on December 15, 2018.[37]

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Well thanks for this thread I checked my wife's departure schedule. Red marked and delayed an hour and a half. Wonder if they had to find a plane to fill the spot?

HCP3

Reaction score
I could have sworn we had a 737 MAX pilot on RDP. It would be cool to hear his input.

Blubyu

Reaction score
It hasn’t fallen as much as I figured it would... yet. I’ll give it a few more days before I buy in.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
My wife 1, AA from ORD to DAL this morning. nice flight she said.
FAA grounded them all in the U.S. just awhile ago !
Heard its a software glitch in the anti stall software that makes the nose drop too much.
Obviously bad at takeoff.....
Wait till tomorrow or Fri to buy in........

Singleton

Reaction score
I could have sworn we had a 737 MAX pilot on RDP. It would be cool to hear his input.
Have someone who works with SWA at the Dallas training facility - not sure if he is a pilot

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Boeing has 5100 of those planes on order and this is the plane that Southwest is supposed to use on their Hawaii flights.

Singleton

Reaction score
Boeing has 5100 of those planes on order and this is the plane that Southwest is supposed to use on their Hawaii flights.

SWA is F’d until this is resolved.
Only the 737-Max got certified for the trip. Now that it is grounded, SWA can’t fly any of those scheduled flights. All will have to be cancelled.

H2O

Reaction score
CNBC just interviewed an airline consultant. They don't expect a lot of order cancellations at this time as both Boeing and Airbus have backlogs of approximately 6 years at this time. So if you need a new aircraft, you don't really have anywhere else to go.
Early opinions guess this is more of a software problem, so easier to fix that a deficiency in the aircraft design...but time will tell.

HCP3

Reaction score
SWA is F’d until this is resolved.
Only the 737-Max got certified for the trip. Now that it is grounded, SWA can’t fly any of those scheduled flights. All will have to be cancelled.

It has been awhile since I looked into it, but I am pretty sure they have a number of 737-800 planes that are ETOPS certified.

EDIT: They are starting off with the -800 and later transitioning to the -MAX. So for now, Southwest should be OK.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/southwest-close-to-etops-certification-454179/

Singleton

Reaction score
IT has been awhile since I looked into it, but I am pretty sure they have a number of 737-800 planes that are ETOPS certified.

Those are allocated to Mexico, South America and Caribbean routes already. They don’t have the units to continue flying those segments and Hawaii.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Trump just grounded all Max 737-8 and -9. Stock dropping fast.
My buy price wont lock until market closes. This could be really good.
Glad he did it while market was still open.

Glad I held off on a buy. This could get ugly quick!

Justfishing

Reaction score
I read today about an angle of attack sensor, AOA for short. Boeing has given some direction of how to handle AOA misinformation. Maybe they need to do manual takeoffs until it is sorted out.

There was also criticism of the flight manual from Boeing.

rrrr

Reaction score
After the 787 Dreamliner was grounded in early 2013, Boeing stock lost around 20% in the following weeks.

At the end of 2013, the stock had gained 80% for the year, more than doubling the gains of the S&P 500.

Boeing has close to $25 billion on the order book. There are several thousand 777s slated to retire in the next 10-15 years, and the new 777X is going to replace most of those.

Airbus has the millstone of problem plagued Rolls-Royce engines around its neck, and it's going to affect orders of the Airbus A350 for the next decade.

Yeah, I would buy BA in the next 30 days.

Singleton

Reaction score
After the 787 Dreamliner was grounded in early 2013, Boeing stock lost around 20% in the following weeks.

At the end of 2013, the stock had gained 80% for the year, more than doubling the gains of the S&P 500.

Boeing has close to $25 billion on the order book. There are several thousand 777s slated to retire in the next 10-15 years, and the new 777X is going to replace most of those.

Airbus has the millstone of problem plagued Rolls-Royce engines around its neck, and it's going to affect orders of the Airbus A350 for the next decade.

Yeah, I would buy BA in the next 30 days.

Boeing is not safe from engine issues either. Multiple lawsuits filed between Boeing and GE associated with engine performance.
Sister and BIL both work in GE aviation (CFO Aviation Purchasing & CFO Aviation MFG) and both are sick and tired of traveling from Cincinnati to Seattle.

Oggie

Reaction score
New guy here. I work at Boeing in Everett Wa 29 years. This was the workplace topic this week. My co-workers aren't bailing out of their stock and think it is a good time to buy. They/me may be pro Boeing but there have been challenges before. They will have their best working on it, throw cubic dollars at problems and get it fixed. All I can say is this will pass. Just not sure when.

Halvecto

Reaction score
I quickly check the Bonds of big companies when these disasters happen (BP, AIG, etc.). The bond market is usually right. It's where the BIG money is placed for long term known, required return.

Always sad to see loss of life, but bond price action will tell the likely exposure story. Bond market signaling that Boeing isn't at significant risk corporately, but will likely take a hit on earnings for some time. I'm looking at the short-term high coupon @ premium. Senior position in the "capital stack". Prices of their bonds got hit but not like the stock. Pick up some income. Could easily get a 10% move in the price, sell for profit, then buy the stock when volatility is clear. Possible to get equity returns with bond-like low volatility.

Example:
This Bond's market value showing a price gap to a one year low approx $114

08-15-2021
Fixed
BOEING CO
Coupon: 8.750 Maturity: 08-15-2021 CUSIP: 097023AD7
Rating: A2/A Industry: Industrial Issue Size: 400,000,000
Cpn Type: Fixed Dated: 08-15-1991 Amount Out: 398,000,000
Pay Freq: Semi-Annually First Cpn: 02-15-1992 Next Cpn: Feb, Aug
Callable: Non Callable Next Call: Make Whole: No

Just checked Southwest Airlines bonds. Small movement.

Last edited:

Cray Paper

Reaction score
From the homeland of Boeing, by it low, it wont stay there long.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
New guy here. I work at Boeing in Everett Wa 29 years. This was the workplace topic this week. My co-workers aren't bailing out of their stock and think it is a good time to buy. They/me may be pro Boeing but there have been challenges before. They will have their best working on it, throw cubic dollars at problems and get it fixed. All I can say is this will pass. Just not sure when.

Oggie, I have friends and relatives that work for the lazy B and live in the area as well. I dont think most people comprehend how big Boeing is and how they dominate the aircraft market and better yet, why they do. If you want to hate on Boeing, hate on the CEO that bought in to thinking risk reduction and outsourcing was the way to go. It cost them billions. Same guy that was booted out and went to run Ford. They are still "fixing" that by bringing things back in house and doing it the Boeing way.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I think to myself, Oh sure, let's pick up a few hundred shares...

Shares are at $377 today, so 100 shares is almost $40,000.

Checks available cash in CMA... Nevermind.

LOL

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I think to myself, Oh sure, let's pick up a few hundred shares...

Shares are at $377 today, so 100 shares is almost $40,000.

Checks available cash in CMA... Nevermind.

LOL

I should email my 401k guy and see if he is buying any.

rrrr

Reaction score
Boeing is not safe from engine issues either. Multiple lawsuits filed between Boeing and GE associated with engine performance.
Sister and BIL both work in GE aviation (CFO Aviation Purchasing & CFO Aviation MFG) and both are sick and tired of traveling from Cincinnati to Seattle.

Let's be realistic. The Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 is a dog, but Airbus has been more affected by R-R shortcomings than Boeing. There are about 383 of the Package C engines on Dreamliners that have defective turbine blades, and almost all have been inspected and repaired. R-R has been footing the bill for leasing fill-in aircraft and compensating airline customers for lost revenue. Boeing certainly has exposure on the issue, but it's diminishing and doesn't appear to be affecting the stock price.

Similarly, problems with the General Electric Aviation LEAP-1B engine have been mostly sorted out, and it doesn't seem to be a brake on the stock price.

Airbus is getting slammed by the R-R debacles on the Trent 7000, which powers their new A330neo, Trent 900 issues affecting the A380 fleet, and the combination of problems for A320neo production caused by the GE LEAP-1A and the Pratt & Whitney Geared Turbofan.

Considering the above, the Airbus announcement of the end of production for the A380, and production problems for the A350 and A350XWB that are appearing, the institutional investors that invest in the two aircraft manufacturers are moving that money away from Airbus and into Boeing.

The specific problem that led to the grounding of the 737 MAX fleet, the MCAS system, can be fixed with a software solution. The damage to Boeing's stock price should be short lived. It's nothing like the lithium-ion battery problem that grounded the 787 fleet in 2013 or the costly engine issues discussed above.

Last edited:

72Hondo

Reaction score
Oggie, I have friends and relatives that work for the lazy B and live in the area as well. I dont think most people comprehend how big Boeing is and how they dominate the aircraft market and better yet, why they do. If you want to hate on Boeing, hate on the CEO that bought in to thinking risk reduction and outsourcing was the way to go. It cost them billions. Same guy that was booted out and went to run Ford. They are still "fixing" that by bringing things back in house and doing it the Boeing way.

Boeing also owns Aviall and Jeppesen. In the industry that’s huge, almost ridiculous.

On another note - I didn’t realize there were so many aviation experts on here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

milkmoney

Reaction score
Boeing also owns Aviall and Jeppesen. In the industry that’s huge, almost ridiculous.

On another note - I didn’t realize there were so many aviation experts on here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You new , everyone is an expert on here just ask them ....[emoji41][emoji202]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
We are still sending design work to our design center in Moscow