WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boeing's a Wreck

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
Another Boeing Jet Just Suffered Engine Issues, Dropped Metal Parts Across Dutch Town
teaser image
...it's the same engine too!
  • MON FEB 22, AT 9:50 AM

This on the heels of the exact same P&W engine exploding in flight over Denver this weekend.

1614016825838.png

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I have sold 15 shares so far this morning. Luckily I sold another 20 last week.
only have 43 left.
I might just shut the whole thing down.

Singleton

Reaction score
It’s the engine not the plane.
Biggest question I have flying right now, was the plane sitting in storage or been in service.
These things are made for repeat service, sitting as long as some plane have, are going to cause issues IMO.

DaveH

Reaction score
does anyone find it weird,,, that as Boeing is now resuming flying/testing their max jet.....now this?

maybe i am a conspiracy theorist......but these engines are tested and proven with years of use. to have two of them fail within such a short time of each other smells like someone is trying to manipulate Boeing stock. even though they don't make the engines......Boeing will take the hit.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
You had to post this with us flying this afternoon. Hopefully it Will be uneventful like it was on Saturday.

Singleton

Reaction score
You had to post this with us flying this afternoon. Hopefully it Will be uneventful like it was on Saturday.

your most likely have GE power :)
Sister worked for GE Aviation, now at corporate in Investor Relations

Richard.E

Reaction score
Alright I'll meet you halfway............................Boeing's QA is a wreck. [emoji13]

Because Boeing QA is responsible for an airlines maintenance practices and inspections. Lol ok.
Pratt and Whitney would be the one to point the finger at. Can’t say Boeing has ever been in the engine building business.

Last edited:

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Things go boom sometimes. When something fails it’s normally catastrophic, the general public seems to think planes are always perfect and never have issues. Lol.
Blaming Boeing QA is kind of ridiculous in this case.

Things could always have been worse is an understatement. This could have happened half way to Hawaii their destination.🤔

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
MAX 737
Boeing’s plane engines failing

Nope, not Boeing’s fault!!!! 😂

Good God boy’s, get your shit together, Airbus is a bunch of Euro clowns that are kicking your ass!! 👎

4Waters

Reaction score
Things go boom sometimes. When something fails it’s normally catastrophic, the general public seems to think planes are always perfect and never have issues. Lol.
Blaming Boeing QA is kind of ridiculous in this case.
^^^this^^^ if it's mechanical weather It's big or small It's gonna fail at some point, most of the time they catch a small failure during inspection before it becomes a big failure. The airline industry had a better track record of catching failures early before they become catastrophic than the automotive industry, could you imagine the auto industry building plane engines. "We've had problems for the last several years with this fuel pump but let's go ahead and put this CP4 pump in this plane engine"🤣

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
^^^this^^^ if it's mechanical weather It's big or small It's gonna fail at some point, most of the time they catch a small failure during inspection before it becomes a big failure. The airline industry had a better track record of catching failures early before they become catastrophic than the automotive industry, could you imagine the auto industry building plane engines. "We've had problems for the last several years with this fuel pump but let's go ahead and put this CP4 pump in this plane engine"🤣

Can you imagine if everyone who owned a car had to pay $10k for an inspection every time it was serviced?
Or if a problem was found you are REQUIRED to fix it.

It's amazing to me more vehicles don't just burst into flames daily, because maintenance is a foreign word to 80% of vehicle owners.

rrrr

Reaction score
does anyone find it weird,,, that as Boeing is now resuming flying/testing their max jet.....now this?

maybe i am a conspiracy theorist......but these engines are tested and proven with years of use. to have two of them fail within such a short time of each other smells like someone is trying to manipulate Boeing stock. even though they don't make the engines......Boeing will take the hit.

You're a conspiracy theorist. Turbofan engines can't be made to disintegrate on cue.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Can you imagine if everyone who owned a car had to pay $10k for an inspection every time it was serviced?
Or if a problem was found you are REQUIRED to fix it.

It's amazing to me more vehicles don't just burst into flames daily, because maintenance is a foreign word to 80% of vehicle owners.

"yes mam, your brake pads still have 50% left... but you're required to replace them by law because thats not enough"

wzuber

Reaction score
Wouldn’t matter, aircraft are ETOPS certified to make it to Hawaii on 1 engine
Correct, so long as the engine fire will extinguish. If not, and it ignites the wing, now you have a serious problem to contend with. BBQ wings are not meant for aircraft. Haha

Q4mtxUS

Reaction score
Its not running through the hangar with any dire alarms going off in peoples heads too much around here. But, the storage concern and the RTS after storage sounds plausible.

However, an engine still producing power, albeit limited in this case, is stiil considerd a GOOD engine.

EDIT: I saw someone mention MRO (outsource).........possibly

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Newsmax, just discussing this subject claimed this 777, was serviced while a replacement engine was being replaced at it flew to Hawaii later that day and did a turn around back to Denver.

wzuber

Reaction score
Newsmax, just discussing this subject claimed this 777, was serviced while a replacement engine was being replaced at it flew to Hawaii later that day and did a turn around back to Denver.
Yep...just like a top fueler.....drop in a fresh bullit and send it.....easy peasy.....lol

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Was it the same one that was replaced? If so that could explain some of this..... otherwise the flight got luckier than they thought already.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
MAX 737
Boeing’s plane engines failing

Nope, not Boeing’s fault!!!! 😂

Good God boy’s, get your shit together, Airbus is a bunch of Euro clowns that are kicking your ass!! 👎

Scarebus sux, nice financing packages but no thanks. Disposable aircraft. Next time you fly, tap on the aluminum of a scarebus. 😳 Let us know your findings.

530RL

Reaction score
What happened to the saying "If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going"

The Boeing thing worked fine, it was the Pratt thingy that done blew up. 😁

Only 10 percent of the 777 fleet has Pratt power. The rest is GE. And it is the older -200 and -300 models that have Pratt power.

Those older Pratt engines use a hallow fan blade and will need more frequent inspections until they are eventually retired.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
This was engine maintenance pure and simple. Looked like a rotor disk burst, possibly turbine from the looks of it, or it could be compressor side (less likely), and the containment system at least kept debris from penetrating the wing or the fuselage (which is a success in my book). Most jets are a turbine rotor burst due to heat cycling and the fact that they grow those turbine blades from metal crystals for the structure to withstand heat.

The maintenance is supposed to check the blades, but cracks can still form and not be seen with the human eye. You'd need a scope to find them.

The plane had nothing to do with it. I'd fly a 777 even with a P&W engine because the aircraft is solid, and if maintenance were solid too, the engine would be taken out of service before this happened. 100% on the airline and their maintenance crew. P&W builds good engines, just like GE. Rotor bursts can happen to either of them.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
My bil says he can fly to Japan on a 777 and be rested. The Airbus feels just that, like he took a bus.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Slow news cycle? Everybody lived for another day.
Meanwhile back at the ranch.

Almost all of the components of everything anyone on here owns is outsourced to some degree.
That is a huge paper trail.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
If I look out the window on Thurs and see that, I’m going to shit myself.... damn that must have been scary.

DB / HAV

Reaction score
You’re 100 times more likely to get hit by a PWC on the river than even having a minor mishap on a commercial airliner.
Great- I’m heading to the airport now and then Havasu this weekend...what are my chances??

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Great- I’m heading to the airport now and then Havasu this weekend...what are my chances??

I just flew from SFO to Vegas and lived to see another day. I’d bet you will do the same unless you take Rice Road. :looking: