• Welcome to River Dave's Place

Bolt cutting jig

Discussion in 'RD's Lounge' started by lbhsbz, Jun 14, 2019.

1. lbhsbz

lbhsbz Well-Known Member

Thought I’d share this. I originally made this to cut round things under 5/8” on the band saw. As soon as the stock spins, it tends to take teeth off the blade. I needed a fast way to hold things steady, repeatable length was a plus, and without damaging the workpiece.

This thing kicks ass.

When I’m working on a project boat...I never know what length bolts I’ll need because I can’t guess the thickness of the glass. I like minimum thread protrusion.

I typically order boxes of the longest fully threaded fasteners In each diameter I need, then chop ‘em down to size instead of ordering 10 boxes of different lengths.

IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg

2. wsuwrhr

wsuwrhr The Masheenest

"Uncommon tools you use"

jeteater1 likes this.
  3. rivergames

rivergames Well-Known Member

Nice! I've always used a vice, cut off wheel and bench grinder to round the end

wsuwrhr likes this.
  4. lbhsbz

lbhsbz Well-Known Member

I made a 1x30” belt grinder outta a harbor freight bench grinder, Camry timing belt idler pulley, a spring from an old harbor freight bandsaw, and a few bits of scrapbinium. Gets more use than about anything else in the shop. I keep an EXL (scotchbrite) wheel on the other end. 10 seconds to clean up a cut bolt and polish the end like it never happened.

Rajobigguy likes this.
  5. wsuwrhr

wsuwrhr The Masheenest

scrapbinium.

Noted.

HydroSkreamin and Backlash like this.
  6. buck35

buck35 Well-Known Member

I've always just put a nut on ,made my cut ,then unscrew the nut and clean up the threads. Easy peasy.... :rolleyes:

Blue likes this.
  7. Waterjunky

Waterjunky Well-Known Member

Between a nut and the head, you can grab them quite firmly in a standard vice and make your cut without fear. A little grinder work and then unscrew the nut, just like new.