WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

"Bomb Cyclone in California" - is this happening?

4Waters

Reaction score
Well last night the rain was supposed to start around 2am and rain straight through to 4pm, I got up this morning at 6 and the ground was dry. I looked at the forecast and it said the rain would now start at 8am and stop at 4pm, 8 came around and still no rain, checked and now it's going to start at 10am but still stop at 4pm. 🤷‍♂️

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Well last night the rain was supposed to start around 2am and rain straight through to 4pm, I got up this morning at 6 and the ground was dry. I looked at the forecast and it said the rain would now start at 8am and stop at 4pm, 8 came around and still no rain, checked and now it's going to start at 10am but still stop at 4pm. 🤷‍♂️
Lol, internet weather gospel was inaccurate? Say it ain't so!😁😆

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Parts of the Santa Cruz mountains and Marin county got up to 16” of rain. most places got 8-10” of rain

Its a good start to the season.

I am going to the lake house to check for damage. Our lake was down 40’ so it will be interesting to see how much it goes up

Tank

Reaction score
When I was growing up in California this type of storm was called, you know, “rain”. It would hit California at this time of year as it was referred to as “the time of year rain comes”.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

RCDave

Reaction score
When I was growing up in California this type of storm was called, you know, “rain”. It would hit California at this time of year as it was referred to as “the time of year rain comes”.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Yup. None of this is unusual whatsoever. California has always been subject to dry periods and occasional period of very big storms.

That's why they built reservoirs. Too bad they don't build a few more and manage the resource logicially.....

Left run state politics is the reason for the water storage and fire problems.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Parts of the Santa Cruz mountains and Marin county got up to 16” of rain. most places got 8-10” of rain

Its a good start to the season.

I am going to the lake house to check for damage. Our lake was down 40’ so it will be interesting to see how much it goes up

Probably none, they are busy letting the water out.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Drove from LHC to SF yesterday. Got to about San Jose and that is where the fun began. A lot of rain, traffic signals out, trees down, flooded streets. The news this AM sa is that the area got 4.5” of rain in 24 house. This morning cloudy no rain. I hope tha tour drive back this afternoon is uneventful. 👍

4Waters

Reaction score
Well, it's after 10 and it's barely drizzling, my weather shows it's raining and we have an advisory🤣

Screenshot_20211025-101637_Weather.jpg

Tank

Reaction score
Well, it's after 10 and it's barely drizzling, my weather shows it's raining and we have an advisory🤣

View attachment 1060931
I guess it’s central coast that’s getting hit the hardest. Although LA news stations will have all the drama like they always do - DUN DUN DUN!!! “STORM WATCH 2021”!!!

Rain hit Ventura county late and looks like it’s gonna be over by 2 pm it’s been a light sprinkle all morning here. 🤷🏻‍♂️

C937BCB3-1235-4A43-AFD0-28306674CFA9.jpeg

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Still dry spots on the patio here in the shithole that is LB.

Meaney77

Reaction score
How is Newscum going to mis manage the fire funds now that their wont be any fires?

old rigger

Reaction score

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

When I was a kid my grandpa had a cabin in Big Bear and a few years my grandma was killed he met a lady, kinda fell for her and to help her not lose her home, he bought it...then she split. But the cabin was lakefront near Red Ant Hill and I think it was 1967 the lake went dry. Huge drought. All the experts predicted that it would take at least a decade to refill the lake so grandpa sold that cabin and kept the one in Moonridge. That winter was the largest snowfall on record in recent history (this is the way I remember my dad and grandpa talking, I was 10 or so) and of course the lake filled up that spring. He should have rode out the drought! I can remember some local kids driving on the frozen lake in a 51 chevy four door sedan because the ice was so thick.
That big winter we actually got snowed in at the moonridge cabin. Couldn't get past the front porch and I couldn't go to the little neighborhood market and buy mom her Viceroy smokes, so not only were we snow bound we were snow bound with a lunatic who decided it was the perfect time to quit smoking.

RCDave

Reaction score
When I was a kid my grandpa had a cabin in Big Bear and a few years my grandma was killed he met a lady, kinda fell for her and to help her not lose her home, he bought it...then she split. But the cabin was lakefront near Red Ant Hill and I think it was 1967 the lake went dry. Huge drought. All the experts predicted that it would take at least a decade to refill the lake so grandpa sold that cabin and kept the one in Moonridge. That winter was the largest snowfall on record in recent history (this is the way I remember my dad and grandpa talking, I was 10 or so) and of course the lake filled up that spring. He should have rode out the drought! I can remember some local kids driving on the frozen lake in a 51 chevy four door sedan because the ice was so thick.
That big winter we actually got snowed in at the moonridge cabin. Couldn't get past the front porch and I couldn't go to the little neighborhood market and buy mom her Viceroy smokes, so not only were we snow bound we were snow bound with a lunatic who decided it was the perfect time to quit smoking.

1969. Other monster years were 1983, 1997, 2008, 2018.

California has always been subject to wide swings in precipitation. The media is just quite dramatic and pushes an agenda

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Rain just started here in San Diego. It was a couple hours late, but it is coming down pretty good. I made a run to the landfill this morning. They don't let trailers in after it rains due to the mud issues. I opened the pool cover. Two months ago I fixed the roof drain on the garage. We're ready. Let it pour!

500bbc

Reaction score
Yes it is but this helps with some perspective.

The hyatt power plant was shut down at 641 feet for the first time since its been started since (I think 70?)

View attachment 1061004
The reality is the average is known and can be accounted for.
The alternate reality is a 150 billion dollar rail project that's nothing but graft. All while the population has increased.

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
The reality is the average is known and can be accounted for.
The alternate reality is a 150 billion dollar rail project that's nothing but graft. All why the population has increased.

Haven't followed the rail project- almost afraid to go look based on how big projects like that usually go....

Oroville took a double hit because of the spillway rebuild.

2Driver

Reaction score
Don’t think purposely draining lakes is a bs conspiracy

The upper reservoir (which feeds our lower boating lake) dropped to 5% over a couple of dry years. It was basically a river in the lake bottom. This is one of the 6 major lakes that provide water to the PHX metro area.
Finally, with a La Niña year on deck, there was a good chance the lake was going to fill.

Environmental terrorist scoured the dry lake prior to the rains and found the nest of a Fly Catcher (bird) . They declared that the bird was an endangered subspecies, and allowing the lake to fill would kill the nesting bird. The entire winter the lake stayed as river passing through the dam’s bottom gates to our already full boating lake, then out the dam of our boating lake.