FB_IMG_1663257119506.jpg

Last edited:

2Driver

Reaction score
why a box under the seat. I bet the inside is well stuccoed

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
In life you have floaters and sinkers.......

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
That bumper dumper could cause
to much tougue weight for a half ton. Until you lighten the load.

Nordie

Reaction score
I've worked with one of our other foreman for coming up on 20 years, went to high school together, just a good friend etc....

He told me one day about he was at the lake and had to go...so he hopped in the lake and took care of business, well the turd was a floater and rolled up his back.

calkid

Reaction score
I've seen what sharks can do to shitty cages before..........

rrrr

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've posted a rrrr RDP History Lesson™.

In sailing ships of centuries past, a setup similar to the photo in the OP was placed on either side of the bowsprit. The box was open near the waterline, so waves would wash out the detritus.

The far forward area of the ship where the toilets were placed was known as the head. In time it became common to use that word to describe the box and its usage, thus the terms "Going to the head" and "Using the head", along with other variations, became part of the sailor's lexicon.

This photo of the Vasa, a Swedish warship that sank in Stockholm harbor in 1628 and was recovered intact in 1961, shows the box like heads on either side of the bowsprit.

220px-Vasa-toilets-2.jpg

Last edited:

traquer

Reaction score

In sailing ships of centuries past, a setup similar to the photo in the OP was placed on either side of the bowsprit. The box was open near the waterline, so waves would wash out the detritus.

The far forward area of the ship where the toilets were placed was known as the head. In time it became common to use that word to describe the box and its usage, thus the terms "Going to the head" and "Using the head", along with other variations, became part of the sailor's lexicon.

This photo of the Vasa, a Swedish warship that sank in Stockholm harbor in 1628 and was recovered intact in 1961, shows the box like heads on either side of the bowsprit.

220px-Vasa-toilets-2.jpg
Nice, always wondered where the term "head" came from! When I was 10 we went sailing out of Long Beach on a boat my dad's friend owned. It was big enough to have a head. I of course loved the word and proceeded to refer to every restroom after that as a "head" and my dad kept telling me to knock it off as it's not polite lol, good times.

Last edited:

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I've worked with one of our other foreman for coming up on 20 years, went to high school together, just a good friend etc....

He told me one day about he was at the lake and had to go...so he hopped in the lake and took care of business, well the turd was a floater and rolled up his back.

I have been out surfing and had to go. Too far out to make it to shore so as the say when nature cal…. Good thing it was not a floater. LOL

nuckingfuts

Reaction score

220px-Vasa-toilets-2.jpg
I always thought they called that the poop deck.

Joker

Reaction score
His trip to Steve’s house was amazing 😁

Last edited:

rrrr

Reaction score
Yeah I though the toilets were in the back of sailing ships? Like over the rudder?
Nope.

The poop deck was the raised portion at the rear of the ship that comprised the roof over what was almost always the Captain's cabin.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Walt’s new boat?

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

220px-Vasa-toilets-2.jpg

And it was used almost exclusively by the foremast (think enlisted or conscripted) sailors. The officers used chamber pots.

What a great thread. :D