WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bond fire explodes

SoCalDave

Reaction score

Flatsix66

Reaction score
I was driving the 133/241 tollroads yesterday, the hills side are bare down to the dirt from the last few fires in the area. Can't image what is left to burn. Long term it is good to clear the old growth but very sad for the people and animals that are in the area.

77charger

Reaction score
Driving on i5 this morning through Irvine smoke was thick but couldn’t see fire yet even over till road. Was another in prado dam too

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
My buddy who got evacuated a month ago just got evacuated again. They are up in portola hills. This is stupid.

skiracr

Catalina Ski Race, Boat # 222
Reaction score
It's off to the races again with this one.

These were taken about an hour into it... There was a house in front of the white Jeep. I don't think anyone was injured, reports were the house literally exploded...
KIMG1409.JPG
KIMG1408.JPG
KIMG1407.JPG

Taboma

Reaction score
This fire started as a structure fire, probably the house pictured, then wind driven and spread into the brush --- and away we go, again. 😖
With any luck it will burn into the recent burn area and limit the spread. Judging by the Altert Camera, Santiago West, it appears to be burning in that direction.

Bond Fire alert cam Santiago West.JPG

cuz_im_CR

Reaction score
IMG_3069.jpg

Took this today on my way up saddleback. I’ve been up there a handful of times with fires around and it’s an uneasy feeling. Much respect to the men and women who run into the fires while we all run away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taboma

Reaction score
Appearances would suggest that between the great ground and aerial efforts and encountering the area of the previous saddleback fire, this potential beast is getting handled nicely. 👍 👍

Bond fire 1PM.JPG

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
View attachment 948393
Took this today on my way up saddleback. I’ve been up there a handful of times with fires around and it’s an uneasy feeling. Much respect to the men and women who run into the fires while we all run away.

In surprised they let you up there

sirbob

Reaction score

Taboma

Reaction score
OK....Lots of nice old homes in there

Tx

Yup my old stompin ground until I moved to San Diego in 78'. That Canyon fire in Anaheim Hills / Villa Park (Oct 17') was a real close call. Been a few close ones, but the one that really stands out for me was the Paseo Grande Fire in Oct 67'. Ended up volunteering because my couldn't get to work due to road closures, and ended up on a small crew trying to keep a huge Irvine Company propane tank from igniting.
That was the day I decided, I'd made the right choice being an electrician and not a fire fighter. :oops:

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Yup my old stompin ground until I moved to San Diego in 78'. That Canyon fire in Anaheim Hills / Villa Park (Oct 17') was a real close call. Been a few close ones, but the one that really stands out for me was the Paseo Grande Fire in Oct 67'. Ended up volunteering because my couldn't get to work due to road closures, and ended up on a small crew trying to keep a huge Irvine Company propane tank from igniting.
That was the day I decided, I'd made the right choice being an electrician and not a fire fighter. :oops:

I used to live not far from there in the early 80's.....I always loved that area back in the trees

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Crazy looking at it on my drive into work this morning. The smoke is actually getting to me already.

On the smoke - go get a box fan or two and get a 20x20x4 Merv 13 or better filter and duct tape it to the inlet side of the fan.

This works as well as any fancy high dollar filter you can buy and will make the inside of your house tolerable.

A 1" filter will cut the CFM dramatically but if you cant find a 4" it works.

These setups made a marked difference in indoor air quality during this summers Nor Cal fires.

Be safe brother!

Last edited:

SoCalDave

Reaction score
On the smoke - go get a box fan or two and get a 20x20x4 Merv 13 or better filter and duct tape it to the inlet side of the fan.

This works as well as any fancy high dollar filter you can buy and will make the inside of your house tolerable.

These setups made a marked difference in indoor air quality during this summers Nor Cal fires.

Be safe brother!
I was in my car when it was getting to me.
I run an Aprilaire 2410 in my home with carbon pre-filters that are rated for hospitals/laboratories. No issues in my house with air quality.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I was in my car when it was getting to me.
I run an Aprilaire 2410 in my home with carbon pre-filters that are rated for hospitals/laboratories. No issues in my house with air quality.

Good unit. Whats a set of the media cost?

I have a Blueair 650 that I run carbon filters in, it does a great job, but the filter media is expensive and after borrowing a laser particle counter it isnt really any better than a box fan with a filter taped to it.

I have 3 air cleaners in my house at any given time plus a bunch of improvised fan filter like I mention.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Good unit. Whats a set of the media cost?

I have a Blueair 650 that I run carbon filters in, it does a great job, but the filter media is expensive and after borrowing a laser particle counter it isnt really any better than a box fan with a filter taped to it.

I have 3 air cleaners in my house at any given time plus a bunch of improvised fan filter like I mention.
I buy the Apriaire filters off Amazon, 2 pack is $70. The carbon pre-filters I get from work. I have two returns in my little 1,700sqft home, one in the hallway and another on the opposite end of the house near the laundry room/kitchen that both have the carbon filters in them. Makes for less restriction and more even temperature throughout the home and really keeps the odors down.

1607102619564.png

cuz_im_CR

Reaction score
did you use Silverado gate?

[emoji106]

Went up Bedford motorway off the 15 in corona. I have user access since I work up there frequently. A lot of our customers are government contracts and they cannot be without communication.

Taboma

Reaction score
Bond fire day 2 is looking awesome !!!

Bond fire day 2.JPG

Music to my Ears

Conducting Beautiful Music
Reaction score
I'm very happy to see that they're making great progress knocking this fire down. Sadly, my wife's office and 5 of the 6 buildings on property were burned down yesterday early morning in Silverado Canyon. They've been fearing this scenario for years.

Wayn-o

Reaction score
I use GPS ionization system. Knocks out odors and smoke, kills corona virus, doesnt create ozone.
Been installing them all over the place. The recent fires above JPL in Pasadena had smoke blowing through their campus. The buildings with GPS at the air handlers were still in use, they evacuated the others. Equivelant to a MERV 13 filter when you only have a MERV 8 filter installed. Super simple install, self cleaning.
Amazon sells the Nu Calgon version for about $385 but its a bigger piece and can be a little difficult to install

Be safe brother!

Taboma

Reaction score
I'm very happy to see that they're making great progress knocking this fire down. Sadly, my wife's office and 5 of the 6 buildings on property were burned down yesterday early morning in Silverado Canyon. They've been fearing this scenario for years.

Never lived in those canyons, but spent a lot of time up in all of them between work, friends and my girlfriend who lived way at the back of Modjeska Canyon.
On February 25th 1969, I'd just filled and loaded up sandbags at the Silverado fire station, and had arrived back at Victor's Restaurant to continue the sandbagging the creek when the first word came that a massive mudslide had buried the volunteer fire station I'd just left, and many who'd taken shelter there were reported buried alive. I think every able soul in those canyons rushed there and started digging mud. As I recall, five died and 17 injured, it was a horrible day the end result of a 100 year rain event.

Sorry about your wife's offices, amazed those canyons haven't been fully cleansed by fire several times over by now. Especially considering the age and condition of many of the homes.

cofooter

Reaction score
My sister and BIL up by the gate in Silverado thinks their house is OK. They were evacuated two nights ago. No more smoke, they hope to get up there tomorrow. Sorry for those that have lost property up there.........

cofooter

Reaction score
My sister and BIL up by the gate in Silverado thinks their house is OK. They were evacuated two nights ago. No more smoke, they hope to get up there tomorrow. Sorry for those that have lost property up there.........
Shout out to Nate @sixdays ! He just checked on my sisters house and all good. Thanks man, just talked to them. Thats an awesome thing for you to do. This place is great!. Hope to meet you some day and buy you a beer!

skiracr

Catalina Ski Race, Boat # 222
Reaction score
Never lived in those canyons, but spent a lot of time up in all of them between work, friends and my girlfriend who lived way at the back of Modjeska Canyon.
On February 25th 1969, I'd just filled and loaded up sandbags at the Silverado fire station, and had arrived back at Victor's Restaurant to continue the sandbagging the creek when the first word came that a massive mudslide had buried the volunteer fire station I'd just left, and many who'd taken shelter there were reported buried alive. I think every able soul in those canyons rushed there and started digging mud. As I recall, five died and 17 injured, it was a horrible day the end result of a 100 year rain event.

Sorry about your wife's offices, amazed those canyons haven't been fully cleansed by fire several times over by now. Especially considering the age and condition of many of the homes.

Wow that's crazy, and never heard that history in the almost 20 years I have been around with the OC.

Old folklore says the canyon will never burn... And I hope that's true. They say it's old Indian Land and blessed. Who knows. We've had a lot. A lot. Of fires through there and it always seems to go around Silverado canyon and modjeska... Burns all around it but never directly in it.