WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bone Marrow Donors needed... my old partner. Need some help here,,,, City of Hope

sergeantmike

Reaction score
L.A. County Sheriff and Be the Match at City of Hope are partnering to find a cure.

Jeff Leslie was recently diagnosed with a serious medical condition. He used to work in the Firestone and Century Stations, Major Crimes Bureau and now currently is at Homicide Bureau. In order to treat his illness, Jeff needs a marrow transplant from an unrelated donor. His doctors are currently searching the Be the Match registry for a match. You can help increase the odds for every patient like Jeff by joining the Be the Match Registry.

To be a donor you must be:
1. Between the ages of 18-44
2. Be willing to help any patient in need
3. Be in general good health

UPCOMING OPPORTUNITy TO PARTICIPATE IN THE MARROW DONOR REGISTRY DRIVE:

CENTURY SHERIFF'S STATION AUDITORIUM

SEE THE EVENT INFORMATION BELOW:

11703 Alameda Street, Lynwood CA
DATE: Wednesday, February 10, 2016
TIME: 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM

ALL IT TAKES IS 10 MINUTES OF YOUR TIME
AND YOU CAN HELP SAVE A LIFE!

CONTACT INFO:
Joyce Valdez
626-373-4000
[email protected]

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Im registered with be the match. in hopes that someday I actually find one. :thumbsup

Ryphraph

Reaction score
I'm over 44.

On their site, you can still join until 60 but it costs $. Most doctors select younger patients to help ensure successful transplants. They don't want to pay for folks that most doctors won't use anyway.

I hope everything works out for your partner!

Ryph

HBCraig

Reaction score
I will be 46 this year. I did this a while back for my Mom.

If they cant find anyone and are willing to take an old guy like me, send me a PM.

Dettom

Reaction score
I registered to be a donor back in 2003. Never heard anything till a few weeks ago when I received a phone call that I was a potential donor for a guy. I went through a litany of questions until I told than I had prostate cancer in 2009. I had proton therapy at Loma Linda and knocked it out. They disqualified me because even though I had a specialized type of radiation they couldn't use me. So I was was DQ'd..too bad..

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I might be able to make that. There is another CHP officer who was on the donor list, got a call as a potential match, went in for further testing only to find out that he too now needs a bone marrow transplant due to undetected cancer. Scarry deal for sure.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I got mine thru BTM.. FTB's young grandson just had one( less then a month ago) I am not a praying man, but I pray for him. I know the hell it was for me. I can not even imagine it at the age of 3.

YOLO

Reaction score
How do you get on the list?

The best registry to my knowledge is Bethematch.org

There are accelerated testing procedures through specialized labs in the event results are needed faster and I think seargantmike provided those details.

I would encourage everyone to register as it is very easy. No needles, just a swab of the mouth. I believe that most people have an antiquated understanding of what it is to donate. The process used to harvest stem cells for use in the transplant now simply only requires a couple of days on a dialysis type machine. A little discomfort for a couple of days to give the opportunity of life for someone you know or not, is a gift that cannot be repaid. Sign up and hope you get a call...

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I have an idea, why not host a drive at desert storm. that should be good for several hundred people.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Wife and I stopped by and did this today. Nice facility.

elcajones

Reaction score
I've been on the list for years....just waiting for the call.

purrfecttremor

Reaction score
Prayers go out to your friend. Wish I coud help but I have been disqualified.