WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bonneville Speedweek

Tom Slick

Reaction score
Speed Demon just set the out right piston powered wheel driven speed record at 470mph with an exit speed of 481mph.

Attachments

• BB96F6FC-F95B-4BEB-B96D-991C41C1D493.jpeg
    BB96F6FC-F95B-4BEB-B96D-991C41C1D493.jpeg
    312.6 KB · Views: 133

wallnutz

Reaction score
I’m pissed, we were supposed to go after Hot August Nights was cancelled, but work got to busy😕 Definitely on my bucket list to get up there for speed week.

parker ed

Reaction score
And for an encore the team is currently removing the 555 big block AA motor that they just set the record with and are installing the 256cu motor to try and get the E class record of 348mph. The Speed Demon team is determined.
The little engine had oiling problems so they are done for the week.

sintax

Reaction score
The little engine had oiling problems so they are done for the week.

My dad and I were talking about this last night, I was curious what type enigine they were running for the E Class?

joecfd1

Reaction score
It sucks to hear that Ralph Hudson crashed his motorcycle at over 252 mph. Hope he makes a full recovery.

Yes, very sad deal... I’ve known Ralph for 30+ years. He’s a great guy! Praying for his recovery.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
My dad and I were talking about this last night, I was curious what type enigine they were running for the E Class?
Small block Chevy, turbocharged, on methanol. If they were to get the e record, they would hold aa, a, b, c,d,e, /bfs. The turbos stay on the car, they just swap out the motors.

Taboma

Reaction score
OK, Bonneville ignorant here --- I see in videos cars very similar to Top Fuelers running, sans the big slicks and bike tires on the pointy end. What kinda of speeds are they running with so much distance to leg it out ? I read one story and they claimed 5K horsepower and were trying to get to 308 MPH -- HUH !! I'd figure at least mid-300's.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
OK, Bonneville ignorant here --- I see in videos cars very similar to Top Fuelers running, sans the big slicks and bike tires on the pointy end. What kinda of speeds are they running with so much distance to leg it out ? I read one story and they claimed 5K horsepower and were trying to get to 308 MPH -- HUH !! I'd figure at least mid-300's.

A lot has to do with traction. Or should I say the lack of.

Taboma

Reaction score
A lot has to do with traction. Or should I say the lack of.

I can certainly see the challenge of getting that hp to hookup with such narrow tires. So it's more like coaxing it up to speed. Are they even reaching the speeds that a similar dragster can reach in 1/4 mile ?

Tom Slick

Reaction score
How about 481mph with a Chevy BBC.

Tom Slick

Reaction score
Or if your talking about the cars that look like Top Fuel Drasters (Lakester in land speed racing) record is 366mph with about a third of the HP as a big show top fueler. Little if any down force and no traction.

Taboma

Reaction score
Or if your talking about the cars that look like Top Fuel Drasters (Lakester in land speed racing) record is 366mph with about a third of the HP as a big show top fueler. Little if any down force and no traction.

Yup, that's the ones, thanks

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
They do away with the downforce from aero because that is drag and load them down with weight to keep them on the ground.

Mikes56

Reaction score
I just found another event for my bucket list. Is this the same time every year? I want to see this in-person!

Tom Slick

Reaction score
I just found another event for my bucket list. Is this the same time every year? I want to see this in-person!
Speedweek is generaly the same weekend in August every year pending weather of course. It is definitely something to experience if you're into cars. Salt Fever is real.

franky

Reaction score
Speed week is awesome. You wont believe the number of classes and diversity of equipment. First cabin high dollar efforts to a garage built car pulled by a clapped out motorhome driven by a guy that spent his last dollar on gas getting there. Spend a couple days on the starting line and you will see it all. I even saw a rubber band powered car. Hundreds of twisted up rubber bands. Every class of vehicle imaginable.

franky

Reaction score
And for an encore the team is currently removing the 555 big block AA motor that they just set the record with and are installing the 256cu motor to try and get the E class record of 348mph. The Speed Demon team is determined.
I worked on Speed Demon when Ron Main was campaigning a flathead Ford
8E13CD5A-2C23-4E95-8E5C-9F2D33672524.jpeg

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Try the dry lakes. 1.3 miles across the dirt. Friend of mine, 312Pete, is the fastest guy at El mirage. They call him 312 because, well, he ran 312 lol.
Lakes racing is the last bastion of racing for the little guy. Where a guy in his garage can be the fastest in the world in his class.

rrrr

Reaction score
Small block Chevy, turbocharged, on methanol. If they were to get the e record, they would hold aa, a, b, c,d,e, /bfs. The turbos stay on the car, they just swap out the motors.

And its displacement is 256 CI or 4.2L. It's surprising they can run the same 88mm turbos on the 555 CI and 256 CI engines and every other displacement in between. It seems counterintuitive this works with the huge difference in exhaust gas volume and intake air requirements. I would think the impeller and turbine wheels wouldn't be optimized over that range, but it's rather obvious Duttweiler knows what he's doing. 😁

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Staring at the 500 mile an hour mark, they've been kicking some ideas around in the traction department. Should be interesting.

rrrr

Reaction score
Staring at the 500 mile an hour mark, they've been kicking some ideas around in the traction department. Should be interesting.

It's all about wheelspin. The pneumatically shifted Liberty transmission hits gearshifts pretty hard. Getting power to the salt with 2,000+ HP makes or breaks a good run. I'd be interested to know what they're doing.