WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bookshelf speakers (opinions wanted)

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
What are you guys running that you are happy with??

I DO have a solid sub-woofer, Boston Acoustics, but I also want speakers that WILL sound good on their own. NOT a speaker that NEEDS a sub-woofer. Make sense?

Wacha running?? Thanks in advance!

spectras only

Reaction score
I would check Bose speakers. They deliver good sound in small packages.

Xring01

Reaction score
I am Bowers and Wilkens… all the way.
Yes, they are not cheap. Running 803s for the front, & center, I believe my rears are bookshelf 700 series ish… have to look on the back to find the exact model.

Smitty7

Reaction score
I am Bowers and Wilkens… all the way.
Yes, they are not cheap. Running 803s for the front, & center, I believe my rears are bookshelf 700 series ish… have to look on the back to find the exact model.
I have some higher end stuff in main room but for bookshelf I have some Klipsch rp600 premiers and have surprisingly good bottom end for bookshelf. Can go loud and very clear. Hunt around . Can find them for 299 if you search.

AzMandella

Reaction score
Klipsch all the way . Hell I ordered a new Sub about two hours ago . Have had Klipsch for over 35 yrs .

Markus

Reaction score
Bang & Olufsen sound great and look good.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
For two-channel music in a room (not a car), I general prefer no sub…most music doesn’t go much below 60hz.
Movies are a different story…

The two-channel setup in my office has Revel M106, on Revel stands. It’s an amazing speaker.

Good review from Amir here:

392B94F2-881B-4FA2-B120-4B997DD27861.jpeg

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I think a lot depends on your own ear. How it sounds to you. We are all different.
I have had klipsch. Bose. And Polk at home.
My JBL monitor powered at work sound incredible though.
I personally like the Polk.
I have old Polk M3 monitor speakers for my fron and surrounds and Polk center channel.
Also have the Polk mini satellite in my drinking/ tv room. Lol.
My M3 are over 15 years old never an issue but think this year I am switching to I’m wall /ceiling for my main room and balance out a little more toward the center and not all the way to the L/R
A4548DE1-D8FE-4DF7-BC0A-DEA571820CBB.jpeg
BD59AEA9-0D0B-4ABF-9A91-7F87AE38E7A6.jpeg

Attachments

• 2E449BC0-1B00-484B-94F5-1511FE117734.png
    2E449BC0-1B00-484B-94F5-1511FE117734.png
    855.8 KB · Views: 27

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I like my Klipsch. They have a decent range and good boom for the size.

C-2

Reaction score
I may be oldschool, but I still firmly believe size matters. Go with an 8", especially without a sub.

Saw these pop up on FB....

Monitor Audio Silver 100 7g, looks like with stands, grills never used, $750

clarence

Reaction score
Is the LS50 Meta really as good as everyone says it is? No, it's better.

GreenEnergy28

Reaction score
Had these in my last house

I have their older bookshelf speakers and some in ceiling speakers with my current setup. I don't think the bookshelf are available any longer...

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Go to your local best buy and tell the guy in the magnolia section that you want to hear the Martin Logan motion 35xti. If they are flat against the wall tell the sales guy to pull em out as the bass port is on the back and they can get boomy if they are too close to the wall. Then call me and I will apologize to your wife, as it will be my fault you just dropped 1500 on a pair of bookshelf speakers. Crutchfield has them on sale for 499 each so you can tell the wife you got a good deal.

If that's more than what you want to spend, don't listen to them. They are that good.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
I've had a jvc system since 95. It was and still is a good system but I wanted more so now I'm all klipsch with a yamaha reciever and absolutely love it
20221208_160922.jpg

Pardon my reflection in the tv

sintax

Reaction score
Bose 301 for a decent bookshelf. I have Klispch in my lower level but they the La Scalas.😎

when are we getting details and pics on that La Scala setup?

I need to know the full stack setup, along with where you're located, what kind of bourbon you like, and when can i come over to demo them>>!! (i'm not joking, i've been looking for a set for about 4 years)

Dogzonboard

Reaction score
The new Mobile Fidelity SourcePoint 10's have generated a lot of buzz lately on the audiophile boards. Here's a pretty good video taken at their unveiling:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I may be oldschool, but I still firmly believe size matters. Go with an 8", especially without a sub.

Saw these pop up on FB....

Monitor Audio Silver 100 7g, looks like with stands, grills never used, $750

I have a pair of OG Infiniti speakers with a Yamaha A-B amp, but they take up a LOT of room. I'm sure I can find some bookshelfs that will pair with my sub for good sound, I just need to poke around a bit!

clarence

Reaction score
when are we getting details and pics on that La Scala setup?

I need to know the full stack setup, along with where you're located, what kind of bourbon you like, and when can i come over to demo them>>!! (i'm not joking, i've been looking for a set for about 4 years)

Listening party!

pronstar

Reaction score
Little-known fact:
At one point, Infinity made a reference speaker that many audiophiles thought were the best loudspeakers ever made. The owner of PS audio (super premium audio company) even featured them in a vid…

They’re around $100k if you can find someone selling them…they don’t change hands often.

You’ll need quite a large bookshelf to put them on 😂

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Little-known fact:
At one point, Infinity made a reference speaker that many audiophiles thought were the best loudspeakers ever made. The owner of PS audio (super premium audio company) even featured them in a vid…

They’re around $100k if you can find someone selling them…they don’t change hands often.

Sorry. I could only afford these back in the day. They are a bit big for bookshelf speakers now. 😔

20230209_151033.jpg

C-2

Reaction score
Little-known fact:

Some of his vids though. :D

At least now I know where the name Adcom came from.

C-2

Reaction score
Joe this guy consistently has nice pieces for sale, I am eyeballing a sub...

h ttps://www.facebook.com/marketplace/profile/100069498266683

pronstar

Reaction score
Reactions: C-2

Taboma

Reaction score
In the 70's I sold stereo equipment and bought JBL L100's for myself. They were the consumer model of their studio monitors. At the time they were reasonably priced. They reintroduced them about 8 years ago and price went haywire.

My Fav in the 70's as well 😁 We sold the shit out of those in the early 70's Germany, but nothing sold as well as those Bose 901. Due to their rather specific sound dynamics and the prerequisite positioning (Room Corners), I can only assume we can accredit Bose marketing ??
Well, that and they threw some good parties for us poor store employees. 🤣

C-2

Reaction score
I use monitors, Event 20/20 passive 4 ohm 200W model. I like the flat sound a monitor offers. I think there's a pair on OfferUp for $150.

I have 8 of them :D

There's also a 150W Onkyo amp for $70.

If you're into loud rock music, that combo will make your ears hurt.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I actually decided to go all Sony...

I bought their 7.1 amp that matches up the the Bravia I already have, and I'll build out the speaker system around that. Since I already have the Boston Acoustics 10" sub, and the Bravia system has the option to use the TV speaker as the center speaker, I bought the Sony Tower speakers to start.

The reviews were good, so I figured, how bad could they be?

The amp has a built in tuning microphone. You place it where you sit, run the self tuning program, and it dials everything in. It's incredibly accurate. But the speakers still didn't sound all that great. 😔

The paper manual that comes with the system says to get Detailed instructions, you have to download the app from online.

So......

After going through Every possibly options in the app, I finally have the system (what I have so far anyway) dialed in nicely.

Sounds killer for what little money I have invested so far! It's not as impressive as my Yamaha/Infinity set up was, but dollar for dollar wise, I'm gonna say it's Very impressive.

Eventually (as money allows) I'll add in All the 7.1 speakers and a real center speaker as well.

P. S. Every Yamaha amp I've owned has always sounded great. But, every one has also had some physical problem pop up as the years have gone by. That's the reason I opted for the Sony this time. There stuff seems to be the most Durable stuff out there. 👍🏼

Jay Dub

Reaction score
What are you guys running that you are happy with??

I DO have a solid sub-woofer, Boston Acoustics, but I also want speakers that WILL sound good on their own. NOT a speaker that NEEDS a sub-woofer. Make sense?

Wacha running?? Thanks in advance!
I have the Bowers and Wilkins 600 series bookshelf speakers on a secondary TV. They sound very good running w/o a sub. I also run them bi-amped

pronstar

Reaction score
My Fav in the 70's as well 😁 We sold the shit out of those in the early 70's Germany, but nothing sold as well as those Bose 901. Due to their rather specific sound dynamics and the prerequisite positioning (Room Corners), I can only assume we can accredit Bose marketing ??
Well, that and they threw some good parties for us poor store employees. 🤣
Interesting fact I learned about somewhat recently:
Those 901’s are known for blowing amps.

Why?
To get any bass out of them, the “active eq” that they came with had an 18 dB (!) bass boost that is incredibly tough on an amp.

To put this in perspective, a 3 dB gain requires twice the amplifier power 😮

pronstar

Reaction score
P. S. Every Yamaha amp I've owned has always sounded great. But, every one has also had some physical problem pop up as the years have gone by. That's the reason I opted for the Sony this time. There stuff seems to be the most Durable stuff out there. 👍🏼

If I didn’t get sweetheart employee deals on audio products, my office would still be rocking this Yamaha amp I’ve had since the from 90’s. It sounds amazing, very warm.

EDCC860C-1FDF-40CA-8EEF-BD97CB6F2731.jpeg