WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boom! Key West (well Ft. Lauderdale) $90.00 Round Trip for Two People! WTF!

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Booked to Ft. Lauderdale for 90.00 round trip for the both of us. Then a pretty inexpensive puddle jumper down to Key West. My wife just used her points and I fly on companion pass so only 90.00 for the both of us! We love Ft. Lauderdale and one of our favorite bars / restaurants in the world The Mai Kai, so we will stay a night in Ft. Lauderdale just to go there then on to the Keys!

We decided it's time to really start looking at a place to buy down there since we are getting closer to retirement; oh and just to drink, paddle board, and fish (not like we can afford a house or to retire but we want to be prepared! So damn expensive there but fun to dream and look)! So we are going to spend a week or so down there to hang out. If anyone wants to head down, we will be headed down the middle of Oct and we can party! Oct is our favorite time as it's pretty quiet and the weather is always awesome!!!

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Booked to Ft. Lauderdale for 90.00 round trip for the both of us. Then a pretty inexpensive puddle jumper down to Key West. My wife just used her points and I fly on companion pass so only 90.00 for the both of us! We love Ft. Lauderdale and one of our favorite bars / restaurants in the world The Mai Kai, so we will stay a night in Ft. Lauderdale just to go there then on to the Keys!

We decided it's time to really start looking at a place to buy down there since we are getting closer to retirement; oh and just to drink, paddle board, and fish (not like we can afford a house or to retire but we want to be prepared!)! So we are going to spend a week or so down there to hang out. If anyone wants to head down, we will be headed down the middle of Oct and we can party! Oct is our favorite time as it's pretty quiet and the weather is always awesome!!!

Smoking deal.

Where are you thinking about retiring to in the keys?

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Smoking deal.

Where are you thinking about retiring to in the keys?

We are not going to retire full time but we would have a place probably in Key West or possibly Islamorada / Tavernier since it's a lot less money. Probably six months in the winter and six months in Vegas with travel in between to all the national parks. Really just want to seriously look again since we want to prepare for the futere. We made an offer on a place a few years back and got outbid by a LOT! It is so expensive there so our place would be very modest. If the country keeps going the way it is, might just pack up and move to Aruba. hahahaha!

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
What airlines and from where

Southwest from Las Vegas to Ft. Lauderdale. We were going to take a small plane down but now will drive since the short trip from Lauderdale to Key West is super expensive. We are staying quite a while so driving down isn't a big deal. We like the drive and will stop a few times going down and eat and such. May stay a few days in Lauderdale as we love it there too!

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
We usually stay at Key West Azul but not sure this time. Had Waldorf booked but ratings were so bad decided to figure something else out.

Last edited:

boatpi

Reaction score
FYI: American Airlines from LAX to Key West is about $209 RT, stopover in Miami, figure about 7.5 hours overall.

RodnJen

Reaction score
We drove to the keys, marathon, foR a day last year while staying the week in Coconut Grove. We realized quickly it is a place we would like to stay for a week and get the lay of the land. Looking forward to you sharing your travels.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
FYI: American Airlines from LAX to Key West is about $209 RT, stopover in Miami, figure about 7.5 hours overall.

BTW, this is a direct flight to Ft. Lauderdale for 45.00! No layovers! One of the reasons we moved back to Vegas is we fly so much it makes sense to be a major airport. Reno Tahoe had a layover everywhere we went. I think my wife flew almost 50 times last year!

Last edited:

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
We drove to the keys, marathon, foR a day last year while staying the week in Coconut Grove. We realized quickly it is a place we would like to stay for a week and get the lay of the land. Looking forward to you sharing your travels.

It is one of our favorite places in the world. Check out my list for first timers or even 10th timers POST 31. https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/key-west.216106/

I included some photos from previous trips too in that thread. We take advantage of everything there for sure. More stuff to do on a 4x3
mile island than some major cities!

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
Currently the bars and beaches in the Keys are closed.

IF a restaurant sells more food then booze, then they will be open and will serve you booze. We were there last weekend and Duval wasn't happening. We had our own booze and a pool and it was fun as hell with great people.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Currently the bars and beaches in the Keys are closed.

IF a restaurant sells more food then booze, then they will be open and will serve you booze. We were there last weekend and Duval wasn't happening. We had our own booze and a pool and it was fun as hell with great people.

I just checked and lot more places were open, but we aren't going until Oct so hopefully things will be moving again. Our trip is easy to change if need be. We treat Duval like Bourbon Street in NOLA. An hour and one drink then on to bigger better things anyways.

Looks like the beaches will open up after tomorrow. Our hotel has the largest private beach in the Keys so it's open too.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
We flew to Miami a few years ago. Did a couple days in South Beach, then drove down to Key West for another week. Great times!!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
We are not going to retire full time but we would have a place probably in Key West or possibly Islamorada / Tavernier since it's a lot less money. Probably six months in the winter and six months in Vegas with travel in between to all the national parks. Really just want to seriously look again since we want to prepare for the futere. We made an offer on a place a few years back and got outbid by a LOT! It is so expensive there so our place would be very modest. If the country keeps going the way it is, might just pack up and move to Aruba. hahahaha!

Modest is good. The older I get, the less I learn to live with.

Post lots of pics!

Tank

Reaction score
Speaking my language!

I have a week furlough end of July. Thinking about taking the kids and staying at my buddies place in Jupiter. We love Florida. 100% on board with returning in the keys!

C9C902A8-2B5D-4F41-83B9-AD7C614E0616.jpeg

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Modest is good. The older I get, the less I learn to live with.

Post lots of pics!

My wife and I have lived with one vehicle (except when I had my Mustang for 6 months) for the past nine years! That is insane in this day and age; especially if you live in an urban sprawl area like we always do.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score

We decided it's time to really start looking at a place to buy down there since we are getting closer to retirement; oh and just to drink, paddle board, and fish (not like we can afford a house or to retire but we want to be prepared! So damn expensive there but fun to dream and look)! So we are going to spend a week or so down there to hang out. If anyone wants to head down, we will be headed down the middle of Oct and we can party! Oct is our favorite time as it's pretty quiet and the weather is always awesome!!!

ok this thread got me thinking this morning and with southwest point my wife and i can fly almost free for 22 bucks. I was thinking in November, ok time to go? Her bday is the 8th.

If we did a week exploring the area what are at the "must sees"?

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
ok this thread got me thinking this morning and with southwest point my wife and i can fly almost free for 22 bucks. I was thinking in November, ok time to go? Her bday is the 8th.

November gets quite a bit more expensive hotel wise but is a great time to go!

I posted this above. It is our short (or long) list of must see and do while there. I will of course probably add to it once we get back again.

"It is one of our favorite places in the world. Check out my list for first timers or even 10th timers POST 31. https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/key-west.216106/

I included some photos from previous trips too in that thread. We take advantage of everything there for sure. More stuff to do on a 4x3
mile island than some major cities! "

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

November is more expensive because it's the best weather there.

Look and see when Fantasy Fest is. Although I'm guessing it will probably be cancelled this year.

If I was to do it again, I'd probably rent a Harley and ride all the way to Key West. The drive is simply mind blowing beautiful. Probably take a week or two and make No plans...

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
November is more expensive because it's the best weather there.

Look and see when Fantasy Fest is. Although I'm guessing it will probably be cancelled this year.

If I was to do it again, I'd probably rent a Harley and ride all the way to Key West. The drive is simply mind blowing beautiful. Probably take a week or two and make No plans...

Fantasy Fest starts the last few days we are there ( I think the 16th of Oct). We love Oct because not quite as busy and the weather is usually really good albeit hot and humid, but we don't mind at all.

gqchris

Reaction score
All these cheap flights are tempting but I just dont want to be in a tube with Covid air.

I heard my buddy tell me his mother in law tested positive and got on a flight last week because she wanted to "see her grandkids". Of course,she lied about testing Positive and symptoms.

I dont fear getting it, but I dont want to be sick for any reason if minor.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
All these cheap flights are tempting but I just dont want to be in a tube with Covid air.

I heard my buddy tell me his mother in law tested positive and got on a flight last week because she wanted to "see her grandkids". Of course,she lied about testing Positive and symptoms.

I dont fear getting it, but I dont want to be sick for any reason if minor.

Man, planes are the cleanest they have been in history. Most have so much room in them because they separate seats and everyone has to wear a mask. We have flown a bunch since this shit started and it has been great!

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Anyone have concerns about booking a trip and then they close down FL bars/hotels/etc?

That is the one thought in the back of my head.

Tank

Reaction score
Anyone have concerns about booking a trip and then they close down FL bars/hotels/etc?

We're booked for November for the worlds / poker run. If it gets cancelled we will be able to cancel and be refunded for the airbnb and the tickets will be held as vouchers. No biggie.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score

We can cancel our hotel very close to our arrival date and on South West you can cancel your flight up to just a few minutes up to your flight with zero cost to you. Our trip isn't until the middle of October so we are crossing our fingers everything is looking good.