WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

"Borderland Beat"...Anyone Else Seeing What's Happening In The Friendly Country To The South?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I know, the weather's great, beaches are nice and "they never mess with the tourist areas"....
Borderland Beat is a site reporting news on cartels, drugs and human trafficking. A lot of it is written under alias, or anonymously...pretty understandable considering what happens to reporters there.

Since the start of the last border crisis/not crisis, (depending on who you vote for) I've been looking around for "gossip". Standard stuff, drug runners, coyotes and the like. It seems as though we don't hear as much info north of the border. Bodies found, pieces of bodies found, notes and videos explaining why, and threatening others...but now it's happening in TJ and Ensenada. This is pretty damn close. Now, I'm sure some of ya'll here are Billy Badass, and have no fear of anything...Well, I'm not that guy. My ass isn't headed over the border for a long time. Really kind of sad, as I went quite a bit as a kid.

In seeing the cartel videos, these guys are no longer playing with Chinese AK's. These guys are running some nice gear, and pretty decent weapons. Hell, some of the "soldiers" now wear body armor with cartel identification across the chest... They have moved forward as less "gang", and more militaristic. It's almost like Narcojihad. These guys are pretty close to hodji in Iraq, but better armed, and better trained it seems. The head of one of the cartels, CJNG, was a federali I think. Well, his daughter got locked up last week on federal charges, in LA. Some of the other cartels were founded by ex-soldiers, some even trained by us! This open border crap could get interesting.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Seen the movie...but it's just a movie...I thought. Wierd seeing videos and knowing they aren't actors. I guess in my mind, I reserved the insanity and violence just as fiction.
These guys run banners and billboards, looking for recruits. These guys are even in the mafia style "construction trades", extorting contractors building the big resorts.
The cartels are way more powerful than the government there. Entire police forces have been fired for their connections to drugs, and high ranking officials either on payroll, or executed.

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
I have friends that head over to Rocky Point all the time and love it. None of them have had issues but I know the minute I end down there some shit will happen. I guess I'm just paranoid. We're headed down to Los Cabos at the end of May. We fly direct to Cabo from Phoenix and its a company function (300 Attendees) so transport is arranged to the hotel from the airport. Have you heard anything going on in that region? I plan on staying at the hotel property the entire week to be safe.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I have friends that head over to Rocky Point all the time and love it. None of them have had issues but I know the minute I end down there some shit will happen. I guess I'm just paranoid. We're headed down to Los Cabos at the end of May. We fly direct to Cabo from Phoenix and its a company function (300 Attendees) so transport is arranged to the hotel from the airport. Have you heard anything going on in that region? I plan on staying at the hotel property the entire week to be safe.
Well, I guess things have gotten "better" there...I mean, Los Cabos was ranked as Mexico's most dangerous city a few years back. I think, as always, it was a vacuum of leadership, and a bunch of people trying to fill it. I think in the hotels you're generally safe. The hotel owners pay the plaza bosses to make sure. At least that's what they say. I don't know for sure, but makes sense.

wet hull

Reaction score
Cartels own everything in Cabo. This is where their families vacation. They keep it clean and safe for themselves. Never felt unsafe last week. Now TJ, fuck that!!

Taboma

Reaction score
Cartels own everything in Cabo. This is where their families vacation. They keep it clean and safe for themselves. Never felt unsafe last week. Now TJ, fuck that!!

Back in the 80's and early 90's I always felt safe in Cabo, because they had 15 year old Marine Federales with AR's on guard at the fish weigh in dock. :eek:
Those big game fishing gringos are notorious for having shoot outs while weighing the day's catch. 😂

I'm guessing the Cartels have agreed that Cabo is safe haven, they won't shoot up your family if you don't shoot theirs ?

wet hull

Reaction score
Back in the 80's and early 90's I always felt safe in Cabo, because they had 15 year old Marine Federales with AR's on guard at the fish weigh in dock. :eek:
Those big game fishing gringos are notorious for having shoot outs while weighing the day's catch. 😂

I'm guessing the Cartels have agreed that Cabo is safe haven, they won't shoot up your family if you don't shoot theirs ?
That was the general impression hotel staff and boat captain gave.

Taboma

Reaction score
That was the general impression hotel staff and boat captain gave.

Haven't we all seen that movie --- The cartel boss dad dies or gets sent up, then the upstart "Wanta Be" kid vests control, gets greedy and decides to eliminate the competition, cuz he's got an Army now. ;) Hopefully not. I haven't been to Cabo since it became a Family Resort destination, when I went it was just guys who enjoyed fishing and Cabo was a great place to get away from the girls, because they weren't interested in sitting on the beach in Cabo while the boys fished.
Now it's all foo foo and shit. 😂

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
The cartel influence in Baja is mostly at the border area, I think Cabo is not a big spot to move drugs. Mostly only for sales to the locals. The cartels are interested in controlling the smuggling routes.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Couldn't pay me enough to cross that border! .. f that shithole! They can have it!

The Cartels will soon be crossing into American Territory to continue their Kindap 4 Cash business model. It's become more lucrative than the drug trade. You won't be saved by just being inside the USA border. They are better armed than our CBP officers. Elections have Consequences.!

Mike K

Reaction score
Thanks for bringing this up.
I know we all have a lot to say.
Our country is disintegrating right before our eyes.
What I‘m not too cool about is how we are suppossed to post controversial thoughts and ideas “into“ the so called “doom & gloom” political forum.
I like to be informed and I am able to make up my own mind and I certainly don’t consider other’s opinions or thoughts “doom & gloom”.
I understand a few people may be “uncomfortable “ with some political ideas and opinions ... BUT ... it’s everyone’s life right now and our current events are more important than ever.
I understand why this “separation” of so called “ doom & gloom” vs “regular everyday” discussions happened.
With respect, I don’t particularly agree with that decision, but I will always be grateful for this site.

Captain Dan

Reaction score
This just in, less than an hour ago.......

Borderland Beat Forum Temporarily Discontinued

By MX 4/05/2021 11:35:00 AM 1 comment
forum1.png

Borderland Beat AnnoucementHello readers,Our forum has been discontinued temporarily. The provider was charging is too much and restricting a lot of our content. We may return to the old forum (Nabble) but we are also considering other options.In the meantime, any stories you find newsworthy of posting on the mainboard, please share it with us at [email protected]...