WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Both pissed and excited

seanroberts

Reaction score
So as the title says I'm both pissed and excited at the same time. What would you do?

I got an extra bill in for my houseboat, it's a 10 share boat that I own 2 shares on located at Lake Powell. Over the last few years the maintenance fees have gone up but the management company keeps it like new. Last year we got hit with a huge expense when they replaced every kitchen appliance. Now this year I get a bill in that says they found a few soft spots in the roof with a leak so they replaced the entire roof. It's not that that upsets me so much. The other part of the bill gets me, mind you this is above and beyond our normal maintenance and shortfalls, they installed a whole kitchen and bathroom on the top deck. I've liked the ones I've seen and know it's just going to make the boat better, that's my excited part. My pissed off is they didn't ask any of the owners about doing it nor did they tell us it was happening. They just hit us with a large bill at the button up part of the project. I'll attach some pics of last year and the pics they just sent me. They haven't finished the project completely.

To recap the work done on the top deck:
Full roof replacement.
New bathroom, toilet, vanity.
Replace large flybridge with a small helm.
Full kitchen on top deck, cabinets, refrigerator, stove, bar stools, propane.
Screening for top deck.

So $5,350.37 per share and I own 2= $10,700.74. This was a $53,503.70 project, that no one was asked or told about. I know we'll love it but I'm not happy about how this was done. The boat is a 2004. I've owned on this boat since 2007 and started on another boat in 2006.

Attachments

• IMG_0337.JPG
    IMG_0337.JPG
    6.7 KB · Views: 13,840
  • IMG_0339.JPG
    IMG_0339.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 824
  • IMG_0342.JPG
    IMG_0342.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 843
  • IMG_0344.JPG
    IMG_0344.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 812
  • IMG_0346.JPG
    IMG_0346.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 815
  • IMG_8185.JPG
    IMG_8185.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 849
  • IMG_1907.JPG
    IMG_1907.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 815
  • IMG_1891.JPG
    IMG_1891.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 852
  • IMG_1887.JPG
    IMG_1887.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 841
  • IMG_1890.JPG
    IMG_1890.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 840
  • IMG_2159.JPG
    IMG_2159.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 816

wzuber

Reaction score
that thing is sooo badass, BALLER...lol
Myself, I would tell them to pound sand. No Notification/approval, no obligation to pay for it. I too would be pissed as well. What will they decide to do next year w/o approval? Change out the hull to billet titanium? (j/k of course) Is this a standard practice they've done with others without issue? In the end I would be reasonable (assuming you can afford it which it kinna appears you can) and offer them half to settle and move on to enjoying that beautiful new setup. (oh to have rich people problems lol.)

seanroberts

Reaction score
Seems odd they can just do 50k in upgrades with no approval. Sounds like one of the owners knew about this and pushed it through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm going to talk to the other owners but I own 20% and another owner owns 30%, so we're the only ones that can really push anything. Part of me thinks they just wanted to keep everyone busy durning the off season. The company manages 36 houseboats. I've definitely got some investigating to do.

seanroberts

Reaction score
that thing is sooo badass, BALLER...lol
Myself, I would tell them to pound sand. No Notification/approval, no obligation to pay for it. I too would be pissed as well. What will they decide to do next year w/o approval? Change out the hull to billet titanium? (j/k of course) Is this a standard practice they've done with others without issue? In the end I would be reasonable (assuming you can afford it which it kinna appears you can) and offer them half to settle and move on to enjoying that beautiful new setup. (oh to have rich people problems lol.)

LOL!!! They can do repairs so the roof they can do. The kitchen and bathroom they can't. I can say this one hurts, I have to get the rollbar boats trailer redone and this is defiantly messing with my summer of boating. My fleet was bought right but it still costs me way too much to maintain everything each year. Rich would be to have the entire houseboat myself! If I had that I would probably have a DCB or a Skater too!

sirbob

Reaction score
I can't imagine a scenareo where I would be happy here.

I can't see them doing any work that hasn't been pre approved. Maintenance or not. They must have a hell of a small print contract.

seanroberts

Reaction score
I can't imagine a scenareo where I would be happy here.

I can't see them doing any work that hasn't been pre approved. Maintenance or not. They must have a hell of a small print contract.

We all agreed to the maintenance since we want the boat to be kept up. I checked with a lot of companies before I went with this one in 2006. I didn't want the owners that let everything fall apart and I also didn't want owners that did huge upgrades every year that we not needed. I had been looking at selling to get onto a boat with a kitchen on the top deck and a reverse floor plan but hadn't justified the cost yet. So I will be having a big conversation with the owners of the management company. I also have to be honest with myself that if I was asked I most likely would have said do it. It was cheaper to do it with the roof off than doing it when you had to take the roof off and it wasn't needed.

Attachments

• IMG_1885.JPG
    IMG_1885.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 518
  • IMG_1886.JPG
    IMG_1886.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 546

HavaToon

Reaction score
If the work wasn’t authorized, I wouldn’t be paying that bill. With that said after playing hardball with the Managment company maybe offer to pay half for the “unauthorized upgrades” as a settlement. Win win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troostr

GOT MILK?
Reaction score
Talk to Mr 30%. If he is cool with the upgrades, and they did a solid job, definitely push the issue with the management company. But unless you are going to change company's, just bitch and bicker a bit but pay the bill or I'm willing to bet you end up paying it anyway in a round about way.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Talk to Mr 30%. If he is cool with the upgrades, and they did a solid job, definitely push the issue with the management company. But unless you are going to change company's, just bitch and bicker a bit but pay the bill or I'm willing to bet you end up paying it anyway in a round about way.

This.
When you push the issue with the managment company, make sure you follow it up in writing so what you expect in the future is clear.

Nice boat!

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I’m thinking this falls under the saying: It’s easier to beg for forgiveness, than ask for permission. lol

I’ve never owned a Houseboat Share. I always thought there was a provision in most ownership agreements that a majority vote was required for anything other than normal “maintenance” ??? I’d be throwing a tantrum if I was hit with a $10K bill for unauthorized upgrades!!!

sirbob

Reaction score
I call that the Jusuit method...

I’m thinking this falls under the saying: It’s easier to beg for forgiveness, than ask for permission. lol

I’ve never owned a Houseboat Share. I always thought there was a provision in most ownership agreements that a majority vote was required for anything other than normal “maintenance” ??? I’d be throwing a tantrum if I was hit with a $10K bill for unauthorized upgrades!!!

Meaney77

Reaction score
That thing is pretty kick ass!! As frustrating as it is to get blindsided by unexpected maintenance or whatever you want to call this I am sure you will forget about it after you crack a cold one and enjoy your family and friends on an amazing house boat on an amazing lake!!

Question- how do houseboat shares work? you have 10 investors who buy the boat and you each get to enjoy it a few weeks out of the year? Can you sell your week if you chose not to use it? If so, can you sell to anyone or does it have to be sold to one of the investors?

Looks like a great boat!

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
Go back and read your Maintenance Contract, Calling each owner would be time-consuming for the maintenance contractor trying to get everyone to agree at the same time. I would think somewhere in the contract they have the right for preventive service and maintenance without calling all the owners to approve. Some contracts have a maximum pay-out limits before calling, again check your contract.

seanroberts

Reaction score

That's truly the thing we'll end up paying one way or another. Unless all the owners choose to move management companies. There will be some changes for sure.

seanroberts

Reaction score
This.
When you push the issue with the managment company, make sure you follow it up in writing so what you expect in the future is clear.

Nice boat!

That I have already done with requesting a new depreciation table so we know when items hit their useful life span.
Thank you, it is the best boating we do.

seanroberts

Reaction score

I think you hit the nail on the head. They know the owners and figured they'd just say sorry. Yes, they're only supposed to take care of the maintenance and repairs. A new kitchen and bathroom are straight upgrades.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
IMO someone fucked up big time....either got auth from the wrong people, or got the wrong boat etc.

Maintenance is NOT upgrades....like most have said however I would be reading my contract very closely and would have had every other partner on the phone yesterday...;)

I just can't see how you are liable for this....but yea, contract details.

seanroberts

Reaction score
That thing is pretty kick ass!! As frustrating as it is to get blindsided by unexpected maintenance or whatever you want to call this I am sure you will forget about it after you crack a cold one and enjoy your family and friends on an amazing house boat on an amazing lake!!

Question- how do houseboat shares work? you have 10 investors who buy the boat and you each get to enjoy it a few weeks out of the year? Can you sell your week if you chose not to use it? If so, can you sell to anyone or does it have to be sold to one of the investors?

Looks like a great boat!

Yes, that's why I'm excited it's going to add another level to the fun. We have the BBQ on the top deck and I always bring a Traeger too so the cooking is going to be better with 2 kitchens.

It depends on where you go to buy into one. Either you set it up or find one of the management companies. Then you buy the time you want and that's yours every year. If you don'y use it you can offer the time to the group and they pay your maintenance for that time. You can sell it to anyone that can meet the insurance requirements but the group gets 1st right of refusal if you sell completely. The one big difference from most timeshares is that if you're the owner if your not on the boat it can't go out. You can't let anyone but owners use the boat.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Was it there crew that did the work? Or they subbed it out? I would want to see the invoices. Make sure they did not make a extra $20K for there pocket. If all was paid out accordingly pay the bill and enjoy the upgrades.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Wow Sean - a twofer.

1. Big bill. lots of works for sure but wow - thats one part

2. Something feels "unsportsmanlike" about the way it dropped on you.

Rig is utterly epic in final form. Total Baller!

UD

seanroberts

Reaction score
Wow Sean - a twofer.

1. Big bill. lots of works for sure but wow - thats one part

2. Something feels "unsportsmanlike" about the way it dropped on you.

Rig is utterly epic in final form. Total Baller!

UD
Thanks Dave! I’m excited about the trip this year it should be outstanding. I’m ussally pretty good about the extras I don’t mind paying when I make mistakes or to make things right when I can.

Next we have to get you, Chris and the Lavey Craft crew out to Powell at some point. We’re launching the 28th of June this year and I’m not sure when we’re coming off the lake. It’s either going to be the 8th or 9th of July or anything up to the 17th of July. We haven’t done a 20 day trip in a few years. It’s always epic.

Attachments

• 6F245F2E-7213-40D3-80C6-8AA49BC8475D.jpeg
    6F245F2E-7213-40D3-80C6-8AA49BC8475D.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 407
  • D114AC3D-E45E-483F-8398-746D3B4FFAF2.jpeg
    D114AC3D-E45E-483F-8398-746D3B4FFAF2.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 424
  • B2BB732D-F852-4350-AFDD-722486745DE2.jpeg
    B2BB732D-F852-4350-AFDD-722486745DE2.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 432
  • 39D39A83-D73B-4554-9955-66766757C4F7.jpeg
    39D39A83-D73B-4554-9955-66766757C4F7.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 436

braindead

Reaction score
Wait wait wait, there's an industry that can do 15k worth of work unapproved by the owners and charge 50k.

Guess I'm in the wrong biz

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
LOL!!! They can do repairs so the roof they can do. The kitchen and bathroom they can't. I can say this one hurts, I have to get the rollbar boats trailer redone and this is defiantly messing with my summer of boating. My fleet was bought right but it still costs me way too much to maintain everything each year. Rich would be to have the entire houseboat myself! If I had that I would probably have a DCB or a Skater too!

I would first talk to all of the owners. There is no way in hell I would stick with that company. Depending how it goes with the other owners I would most likely refuse to pay and then sell my shares. I would not want to own something with owners that are OK with this.

seanroberts

Reaction score
20 day trip sounds epic. You get 73 days a year at 20%?
During the prime season I get a 20 day, but I don’t have to go all 20 days. That time is late June until the middle of July. My secondary trip is early october for 14 days. If no one is using the boat any of the owners can use it, we just have to pay extra maintenance fees for that time. I’ve always wanted to do a thanksgiving trip.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Hell of alot of money ,but looks like it’s in great shape and you will be happy at the time you use it .