WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bought a Spare for My Trailer and Reminded Me of a Gnarly story . . .

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
So I just bought a matching spare wheel/tire for my boat trailer.
I always take one, but I wanted a fresh one, mine was getting pretty rough.

Which reminde me of an 'experience' I had several years ago, and maybe it might save someone here from having the same 'Stupid Attack' I had.

I took my Whaler down to San Diego bay to do some fishing. When I got there, I noticed my drivers side trailer tire was really low.
So I quickly launched the boat and figured I'd just swap in the spare when I got back.
At the end of the day I pulled the wheel/ tire off and put on the spare. Pulled the boat out and realized the trailer spare was shot as well.

So my buddy had a spare on his rig and loaned it to me.
Bolt pattern matched up perfectly, so I did a quick swap and cinched everything down evenly while it was up in the air.
I lowered it down, and with a breaker bar, went around each of the lugs (in opposing order) and really leaned on them.

Off I went . . . I get onto the on-ramp of the freeway and as I get up to merging speed I feel a GNARLY vibration.
I look in the mirror and there's smoke coming off the spare tire I just put on !
Luckily there was an off-ramp right there, and I immediately got off.

I crested the top of the over-pass and stop to make a right turn. . . I roll forward and the wheel /tire falls completely off !
I look in the mirrors and I'm dragging the trailer, with sparks and shit flying off the hub / shackle bolts.
I go to hit the brakes and realize I'm on the fucking train tracks . . . I immediately PUNCH IT and drag the rig a few yards clear of the crossing.
Shit all happened in seconds.

After I flip on the hazards, I go to get out of the truck , and a guy pulls up in his car and says, "Your wheel flew off" . . . no shit sherlock !!!!!
As I start to run back to retrieve the wheel/tire, the arms of the train crossing come down . . . DING-DING-DING-DING-DING !!!!!
SECONDS later the Blue Line commuter train flies by at what seemed like 50+ MPH . . . . FUCK MEEEE.

The rest of the story is boring . . . Pep Boys, etc etc. etc. for for wheel/ tire, new lugs etc.
But I was seconds from being scattered and drug into a million pieces.

But what the deal was, (and I obviously didn't realize this at the time) was that the fucking lug nuts off my 'steel' wheels had a different angle where it seats up against the face of the wheel then it did to the aluminum wheel off my friends rig. They fit on with no problem, and 'looked' fine, but it wasn't the right 'fit'.

At the time all I was concerned with was if the bolt pattern was the same.
It surprised me how quickly and easily all 5 lug nuts spun completely off, especially after I had just yoked on them.
I'm not Hercules, but I've worked with my hands all my life, and I've changed / rotated my share of tires .

Feel free to nail me to the cross over being an 'Idiot-Stick' . . . but if I can make this mistake, I could see someone else doing it as well.

Safe Trailering

Last edited:

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Wow.. I’d have made the same mistake in your situation.

4Waters

Reaction score
Were you towing with an F150?🤣

I would have never thought of that as well, this info will always be in the back of my mind now

Your ad here

Reaction score
Would this be a case of using "lug centric" lug nuts on a "hub centric" wheel? On the aluminum wheel, did you need to use flat faced nuts instead of tapered nuts?

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
The root of the issue was probably an incorrect sized prop. :looking:

All joking aside good point for others on the wheel/lug fitment.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
So many different lug types. Who knew?
You worked with what you had. I’m sure a lot of us would have done the same l, thinking it would be OK. Glad it worked out and you’re not a hood ornament for the train
1616859304828.gif

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Which reminde me of an 'experience' I had several years ago, and maybe it might save someone here from having the same 'Stupid Attack' I had.

I took my Whaler down to San Diego bay to do some fishing. When I got there, I noticed my drivers side trailer tire was really low.
So I quickly launched the boat and figured I'd just swap in the spare when I got back.
At the end of the day I pulled the wheel/ tire off and put on the spare. Pulled the boat out and realized the trailer spare was shot as well.

Bolt pattern matched up perfectly, so I did a quick swap and cinched everything down evenly while it was up in the air.
I lowered it down, and with a breaker bar, went around each of the lugs (in opposing order) and really leaned on them.

Off I went . . . I get onto the on-ramp of the freeway and as I get up to merging speed I feel a GNARLY vibration.
I look in the mirror and there's smoke coming off the spare tire I just put on !

I crested the top of the over-pass and stop to make a right turn. . . I roll forward and the wheel /tire falls completely off !
I look in the mirrors and I'm dragging the trailer, with sparks and shit flying off the hub / shackle bolts.
I go to hit the brakes and realize I'm on the fucking train tracks . . . I immediately PUNCH IT and drag the rig a few yards clear of the crossing.

After I flip on the hazards, I go to get out of the truck , and a guy pulls up in his car and says, "Your wheel flew off" . . . no shit sherlock !!!!!
As I start to run back to retrieve the wheel/tire, the arms of the train crossing come down . . . DING-DING-DING-DING-DING !!!!!
SECONDS later the Blue Line commuter train flies by at what seemed like 50+ MPH . . . . FUCK MEEEE.

The rest of the story is boring . . . Pep Boys, etc etc. etc. for for wheel/ tire, new lugs etc.

But what the deal was, (and I obviously didn't realize this at the time) was that the fucking lug nuts off my 'steel' wheels had a different angle where it seats up against the face of the wheel then it did to the aluminum wheel off my friends rig. They fit on with no problem, and 'looked' fine, but it wasn't the right 'fit'.

It surprised me how quickly and easily all 5 lug nuts spun completely off, especially after I had just yoked on them.
I'm not Hercules, but I've worked with my hands all my life, and I've changed / rotated my share of tires .

Feel free to nail me to the cross over being an 'Idiot-Stick' . . . but if I can make this mistake, I could see someone else doing it as well.

Safe Trailering

This is also important if you have changed wheels and lug nuts on your vehicle.

If I change wheels and lug nuts on something I always keep a set of the “stock” lug nuts in the vehicle or trailer to use with the OEM spare. I just dump them in the bag with the lug wrench.

Last edited:

Your ad here

Reaction score
This is also Important if you have changed wheels and lug nuts on your vehicle.

If I change wheels and lug nuts on something I always keep a set of the “stock” lug nuts in the vehicle or trailer. I just dump them in the bag with the lug wrench.
I'll add this. Also make sure the thread pitch of the nuts match your vehicle. I keep extra in my F350. It has 1.5 thread pitch. For years the spare lugs were 2.0 pitch... Ford had a change over in 2003. I carry both 1.5 and 2.0 now.

rrrr

Reaction score

Safe Trailering

My Excursion has aftermarket wheels. After they were installed, I inspected the work to verify the new lugs fit properly on the new wheels. They did, but I realized the new lugs were not compatible with the stock spare wheel and tire. They would not have allowed the wheel to be tightened up on the hub. I bought eight of the correct lugs at a NAPA store and keep them in the truck.

If you have an Excursion or F-250 running aftermarket wheels, check this out. If you don't have the correct lugs, get them. This could have been a big deal.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Thanks for the P.A. despite the jokers.

It's been a while so i guess you ditched it east of la Mesa? Possibly lemmon ave.?
Can't think of any tracks in Mission Valley.

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score
What really stands out is that you almost got smoked by something that was probably honking at you, weighs more that a fat girl..... AND!!! You know what direction it’s coming from

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Thanks for the P.A. despite the jokers.

It's been a while so i guess you ditched it east of la Mesa? Possibly lemmon ave.?
Can't think of any tracks in Mission Valley.
I actually launched out of Chula Vista, it was the launch ramp WAAAAAY in the back of the bay off of J Street.
Got on the 5 freeway heading North at J Street . . . then shit went south, and exited H Street and turned right.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score

Safe Trailering

So with the above chart, what lugs were the right ones vs wrong?