WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bourbon Blind Tasting- Murrieta CA -

Xring01

Reaction score
A previous thread prompted me to put this out to you guys.

Nothing set is stone at the moment... My thoughts are:

Bourbon Tasting at my house/patio - Most likely on a Saturday afternoon, I would provide some BBQ (ribs/brisket/pork butt/chili or ???) maybe a few of you guys can bring some side dishes.

Limiting it 8-12 people - No more than that, because everyone will bring a bottle to share. More people means more bottles, means a bunch of type A assholes getting drunk... just joking, but you can only taste so much before you truly cant tell the key differences. Ask me how I know????

Once I get a list of peeps attending. I will have everyones email address, and go from there.

Pending the number of people who attend, I am thinking 1/2oz, to 3/4oz pours, Then we may allow a top 3 run off... for a second tasting, then determine a winner.. hummm thinking on that one. Thats alot of bourbon... so you guys should either plan on being picked up at my house, or uber your way home. I dont want to be in a position, of stopping one of you from driving drunk.

Pours will be served blind, one at a time (i will not have enough glass's). With a score sheet with plenty of areas for notes. When its over, we will tally up the scores and declare a winner.

Some items subject to debate:
Tasting Neat or on the rocks?

I do not like scotch at all, especially that peated crap. I vote we limit it to Bourbons only. Which does tighten it up, and makes it a more even competition. If its a success worth repeating, then we will Rye competition, Whiskey competition and so on...

Dates - due to work schedules and traffic. I think Saturday afternoon works best, but open to suggestions on what works for the majority. I am thinking it will take about 3 hours. So time frame of 5pm - 8pm ish... again, this is all subject to debate.

Respond to this thread if you are interested in attending (and PM me your email address). If so, then also give me some details on dates that may work for you, and thoughts you have on the subject.

If it fills up to 12- then I will create a standby list... assuming that not all schedules will work, and we may lose a few people before it gets nailed down.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I’m interested.

I say let the person that brought their bottle decide how it should be served (neat vs rock(s)).

Xring01

Reaction score
For those you that do not live to far away... Team up, share a hotel at the Hampton Inn or something... split that cost...

Because your gonna get some damn good BBQ, some great bourbon... and your not gonna have a Bar Tab... it will be fun...

I would love to get Bourbon connoisseurs to this...

Last edited:

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Have a rough idea what weekend?
20190827_210800.jpg
20190827_210814.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
A previous thread prompted me to put this out to you guys.

Nothing set is stone at the moment... My thoughts are:

Bourbon Tasting at my house/patio - Most likely on a Saturday afternoon, I would provide some BBQ (ribs/brisket/pork butt/chili or ???) maybe a few of you guys can bring some side dishes.

Limiting it 8-12 people - No more than that, because everyone will bring a bottle to share. More people means more bottles, means a bunch of type A assholes getting drunk... just joking, but you can only taste so much before you truly cant tell the key differences. Ask me how I know????

Once I get a list of peeps attending. I will have everyones email address, and go from there.

Pending the number of people who attend, I am thinking 1/2oz, to 3/4oz pours, Then we may allow a top 3 run off... for a second tasting, then determine a winner.. hummm thinking on that one. Thats alot of bourbon... so you guys should either plan on being picked up at my house, or uber your way home. I dont want to be in a position, of stopping one of you from driving drunk.

Pours will be served blind, one at a time (i will not have enough glass's). With a score sheet with plenty of areas for notes. When its over, we will tally up the scores and declare a winner.

Some items subject to debate:
Tasting Neat or on the rocks?

I do not like scotch at all, especially that peated crap. I vote we limit it to Bourbons only. Which does tighten it up, and makes it a more even competition. If its a success worth repeating, then we will Rye competition, Whiskey competition and so on...

Dates - due to work schedules and traffic. I think Saturday afternoon works best, but open to suggestions on what works for the majority. I am thinking it will take about 3 hours. So time frame of 5pm - 8pm ish... again, this is all subject to debate.

Respond to this thread if you are interested in attending (and PM me your email address). If so, then also give me some details on dates that may work for you, and thoughts you have on the subject.

If it fills up to 12- then I will create a standby list... assuming that not all schedules will work, and we may lose a few people before it gets nailed down.

It all depends on what type of pellet smoker you use. :D

Xring01

Reaction score
Have a rough idea what weekend? View attachment 800984 View attachment 800985

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Well, thats the hardest part... Because many peoples schedule to consider.

But I was hoping to do it in the next 2-8 weeks if possible... determine how many can make it on the various nights... the night with the most people that can attend... dictates the night.

Music to my Ears

Conducting Beautiful Music
Reaction score
I’m down depending on the date. I work until 4:15 on Saturdays so I might be a little late for a 5pm start but please start without me and I’ll get there when I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevin1988

Reaction score
My dad and I are interested. We also live in Murrieta. We are pretty open as far as dates go.

Xring01

Reaction score
Lets get a few more... and I will start throwing out some dates..

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
I live in Temecula but I’m in if that’s ok? I’m also not a fan Of scotch so keep that shit away! I’ll be camping this coming weekend so if it’s after that I’m good!

Water Romper

Reaction score
Quick question: I am a Jameson guy, What other whiskeys are similar/smoother/better that are $50.00 or less? I HATE the "pete" taste (I think that's what its called) Smells, taste like tar.

Xring01

Reaction score
Quick question: I am a Jameson guy, What other whiskeys are similar/smoother/better that are $50.00 or less? I HATE the "pete" taste (I think that's what its called) Smells, taste like tar.
Pete is only in Scotch... not all Scotchs...

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
“Peat” the way I think of it is old rotten wood think the smell of wet moss. It comes from the way they heat the scotch and some of it comes from the old barrels they use.

Water Romper

Reaction score
looks like i have a lot to learn. in the meantime, I'll stick with my green label Jameson. A "tasting" would be fun and educational but I'm afraid I would have to be carried out, The stuff goes to my head pretty fast

Xring01

Reaction score
“Peat” the way I think of it is old rotten wood think the smell of wet moss. It comes from the way they heat the scotch and some of it comes from the old barrels they use.

Peat is a "grass/moss" it was used as a smoke/fire source, to dry out the grains used in making scotch. Because there is not alot of wood in parts of Scotland... or better said.. wood was to expensive to use, to dry the grains.. Peat was practically free...

So... Peat... was the cheapest way to dry out the grains, in order to make scotch...

Like you... I hate that shit.

Water Romper

Reaction score
The wife is a Blue Bloods fan, they drink a lot of ? (Scotch/Bourbon/Whiskey) Is it Glenfiddich ? (not sure of the spelling) what ever it is, they make it look so tasty.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score

My go to bourbon starter list... All normal bottles, nothing fancy:
1792 (I think you will enjoy, falls to the sweeter side)
Elijah Craig
Larceny
Buffalo Trace
Woodford Reserve (double oaked especially, but it is pushing the $50 mark)
Jefferson
Makers Mark (46 is fantastic day to day)
Old Forester (Statesman and 1910 are fantastic if you want a special occasion, but are $60ish)

Most of those bottles should be $25-30, and nothing there is bad. some are "spicier" , some are "sweeter" but all are respectable. If you dont like it, give it a week or 2, and save it for friends.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
My go to bourbon starter list... All normal bottles, nothing fancy:
1792 (I think you will enjoy, falls to the sweeter side)
Elijah Craig
Larceny
Buffalo Trace
Woodford Reserve (double oaked especially, but it is pushing the $50 mark)
Jefferson
Makers Mark (46 is fantastic day to day)
Old Forester (Statesman and 1910 are fantastic if you want a special occasion, but are $60ish)

Most of those bottles should be $25-30, and nothing there is bad. some are "spicier" , some are "sweeter" but all are respectable. If you dont like it, give it a week or 2, and save it for friends.

for the $50 and under club, I would add a couple other brands as well. I too am not a fan of "smoke" flavor profiles, but I do like spice and complex flavors. You can also figure out if you like high proof or not, that's my deal, and that is a whole other road to go down. Rye's will be chapter two of this thread. Suggested Bourbons as stated:

Michter's
Pinhook
Bulleit
Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Barrel Proof (No bullshit it is good)

Not to derail the thread, but for Rye, I recommend Old Overholt for under $20 for your first bottle, if you like that, and what makes a Rye, a Rye, there is a whole other path to go down as well.