Pros
Flavor, very robust, but smooth
Lots of oak
Cinnamon, butterscotch/caramel flavors

cons
A bit more oak or more aging?
Price, yep paid $39.99 but its hard to find

Damn good bourbon

good find on the Weller SR. Haven’t tried that one. I have the antique 107, bold flavors very good.

where did you end up finding it?

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Story time bourbonofiles...

The year is 1856, in the south. A farmer/pastor/whiskey distiller has his congregation beating on his door because he "is worshiping 2 different spirits." In response, he sells his distillery off to his apprentice...

The often untold portion of this story, is what happened to the slaves he had been using to do the actual distilling. The head slave/ distiller was named Nathan "Nearest" Green, or Uncle Nearest. Following Lincoln freeing the slaves, Uncle Nearest was free to open a distillery of his own, and seemingly did! Unfortunately it wasn't a massive success, and had completely disappeared into the annals of history...

The white apprentice's whiskey became a huge success, and recently celebrated it's 150year anniversary. While researchers were digging into the history, they came across Uncle Nearest's story. One of the historians was so enthralled with the story that they bought the actual farm that this story started out on. They also have bought several hundred acres a few towns away and started to recreate Uncle Nearest's original recipe. This is a bottle of that recreation!

It is a DAMN good whiskey (not sure it qualifies as a bourbon or not, but it is irrelevant). Super sweet nose, a bit of spice, overall a beautifully balanced drink! A 9.5 out of 10 on it's own. Add in the backstory, and this will be a very sought after whiskey!

If you haven't yet googled it, the white apprentice was a gentleman named Jack Daniels... maybe you've heard of him? View attachment 812676

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the story.

renodaytona

Reaction score
These showed up today.
9D600234-6306-4A5B-B02D-70AF1AFC3230.jpeg

76 Southwind

Reaction score
Rye Guys...

you have to try Sazerac Rye....

Its may be the best bottle of Rye I have ever had... I have never been a Rye kind of guy, until this one...

Polished that bottle off pretty quickly.
Hey thanks for the tip on the Sazerac... Very nice rye for sure...

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
What about Pendleton? I don’t drink but keep a bottle of it on hand for my brother, his favorite.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
@Crazyhippy I was curious enough about that stuff that I cruised through La Bodega on my way home tonight. They had the 100 proof you showed plus a 93 version without the charcoal filtering. Normally my only whiskey is Jack and usually with diet Pepsi, so I wanted to get away from the charcoal taste a bit.
Of course I'll post a review next week. It's going with us to the Dez for Thanksgiving.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
@Crazyhippy I was curious enough about that stuff that I cruised through La Bodega on my way home tonight. They had the 100 proof you showed plus a 93 version without the charcoal filtering. Normally my only whiskey is Jack and usually with diet Pepsi, so I wanted to get away from the charcoal taste a bit.
Of course I'll post a review next week. It's going with us to the Dez for Thanksgiving.

It should be a good gateway whiskey. Has some Jack leanings, but kinda straddles the line between Jack and bourbon. May also want to look into the Irish whiskeys. they tend to be sweet and approachable. Tulamore Dew is a solid starting point.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Sooooo.... The wife and I are in the midst of a new kitchen. I'm moving whiskey from the dining room China cabinet into a kitchen cabinet. Had to set the collection out for a photo OP during the move. Ignore the custom plywood counter tops, and currently missing under cabinet lighting.

Now to decide what to drink!
20191126_194148.jpg
20191126_194130.jpg
20191126_194128.jpg
20191126_194122.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Give them an honest review... dont just bragg about it

ha ha ha.

First time having the Elijah. Right off the bat its very oak tasting. Almost over powering. Besides that the flavors are bold and yet smooth. With that I’m thinking the 18 would be perfect.

had the pappy before. Bold up front flavors, not as smooth as the Elijah and less oak”y”. But it is aged 11 years less. I would say it’s close to the same as the Weller antique 107. It’s a nice bottle to have but wouldn’t spend $800 for a bottle. This one was $400 4-5 years ago. It’s not drank often.

77hallett

Reaction score
Four roses single barrel. O believe I picked it up for $45. Great flavors.
Also, eagle rare. It’s $22 here and distilled by buffalo trace. Happy drinking gents!

Xring01

Reaction score
ha ha ha.

First time having the Elijah. Right off the bat its very oak tasting. Almost over powering. Besides that the flavors are bold and yet smooth. With that I’m thinking the 18 would be perfect.

had the pappy before. Bold up front flavors, not as smooth as the Elijah and less oak”y”. But it is aged 11 years less. I would say it’s close to the same as the Weller antique 107. It’s a nice bottle to have but wouldn’t spend $800 for a bottle. This one was $400 4-5 years ago. It’s not drank often.

Thanks... :D
I would like to try the Elijah 23... never had it..

I concur with assessment of the Van Winkle.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Thanks... :D
I would like to try the Elijah 23... never had it..

I concur with assessment of the Van Winkle.

I will have to try the Elijah 23 again. The strong oak flavor was almost a turn off for me. So to be fair it needs 1 more try. I never had the 18 and missed a bottle by 5 min a few weeks ago.

I was told by some other guys to try the Elijah proof barrel. Found a bottle but have yet to try it. It’s 122 proof, it’s up there.

Xring01

Reaction score
I will have to try the Elijah 23 again. The strong oak flavor was almost a turn off for me. So to be fair it needs 1 more try. I never had the 18 and missed a bottle by 5 min a few weeks ago.

I was told by some other guys to try the Elijah proof barrel. Found a bottle but have yet to try it. It’s 122 proof, it’s up there.

I prefer cask strength bourbon...with a hint of rocks to cool it down, now a days.

also, I prefer heavy oak bourbon...

I have access to some very very small batch private label bourbons... those a yummy goodness

Done-it-again

Reaction score
It’s the only Pappy I can afford. The maple syrup is awesome, had that before.

just had the old fashion mix tonight. Really good, a tad to sweet to be perfect.

haven’t tried the pepper sauce yet.

AC9F1AC2-CE85-4B25-8CEF-E1B2DCFEF54D.jpeg

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Highvoltage329 & I went down the Rabbit Hole Bourbon last weekend, seemed very smooth

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
A new one to us called Rabbit Hole, made in Louisville. Sorry didn't get a pic. It was smooth. About $44 bottle

I just picked up a bottle of Derringer from Rabbit Hole. It is a solid choice, and was not available last year @ the distillery. That was a really cool modern distillery. It doesn't have the magic and prestige of walking into the Barrelhouse @ Woodford, but it also doesn't have the stuffy shirt BS. My fiance was/is a HUGE fan of there Gin.

New Rift was another neat small distillery in Louisville.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Picked up an new Makers Mark. Not sure if I’ll open it. Might give to my father for his B-day. Only 255 barrels released

DD60B96A-B992-4E81-9E0E-38B02F5084AF.jpeg

Deangang

v-drive row member
Reaction score
A9C170E5-EAC8-4BCA-A421-D1739A3CE5FC.jpeg
08E527A4-03F8-4E97-9A94-010ED1B66A7A.jpeg
708B9AB0-69DE-4E56-B0FF-9072732474E7.jpeg
Ok I just cracked this open and will take a stab at a review on it .
Its evident with the first whiff. this bourbon's nose holds hints of caramel, cinnamon, and vanilla and has a strong bite to it . @:120 proof most like to,open this up,with a small sphere or a few drops of water to really bring out the flavors . I love the heat and oak so I prefer not to. The first taste has a rich, warm body with dark chocolate undertones along with rye and cinnamon flavors that follow .The complexity doesn't stop there, as you're treated to warming vanilla and oak, with a nuttiness that follows. The finish is long and complex, Fred Noe has made a remarkable bourbon. I forgot what I paid for this but I think it was about 60 bucks. That being said I should have bought a few more bottles .i rate this 8.5 out of 10.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
I’m not a frequent bourbon guy but this one is out of upstate New York. Visited their spot last week and really enjoyed it. I’ve heard it’s available nation wide now but can’t vouch that. Smuggled this bottle back in my checked luggage back to So Cal.

I’ll report back once I dive in this weekend.

IMG_8563.jpg

Xring01

Reaction score
View attachment 822389 View attachment 822390 View attachment 822391 Ok I just cracked this open and will take a stab at a review on it .
Its evident with the first whiff. this bourbon's nose holds hints of caramel, cinnamon, and vanilla and has a strong bite to it . @:120 proof most like to,open this up,with a small sphere or a few drops of water to really bring out the flavors . I love the heat and oak so I prefer not to. The first taste has a rich, warm body with dark chocolate undertones along with rye and cinnamon flavors that follow .The complexity doesn't stop there, as you're treated to warming vanilla and oak, with a nuttiness that follows. The finish is long and complex, Fred Noe has made a remarkable bourbon. I forgot what I paid for this but I think it was about 60 bucks. That being said I should have bought a few more bottles .i rate this 8.5 out of 10.

Well Done...
Love or hate knob creek...

thats an honest review, which is why I created this thread...

thats the type of reviews all of you should provide.

Be Honest... about your opinion of it...

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
0706E451-8B28-48A9-931E-D2D457A5F816.jpeg

All this booze talk I just now dropped into the Traxx bar at LA Union Station.
The bartender knew all about Jefferson’s Ocean.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
View attachment 822389 View attachment 822390 View attachment 822391 Ok I just cracked this open and will take a stab at a review on it .

Heck of a review, like a professional. I need to step up my game.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
EH Taylor.

first nose was very grainy like pure alcohol then mellowed out. First taste had a good bite, but could be the 100 proof. 2nd taste was a bit more mellow. Oak, vanilla, and brown sugar came to me. Flavors lasted around a minute then fell off.

Perhaps letting the bottle breathe will loosen the grain alcohol smell/bite. But for $60 bucks it’s not bad, still a bit over retail.

will give it another try tomorrow and see if there is a change.

1696D81E-81F9-491C-817C-01BC37FD9D90.jpeg

Xring01

Reaction score
EBDFEDCF-11AA-4E07-B465-25473668C68D.jpeg

I jumped into this one last night...
Backing up a bit. Back in the day, Knob Creek, was one of my fav’s, but Makers Mark was a bit less expensive. More of my friends preferred Makers... So I kept that as my daily or house bourbon for years.

A buddy of mine gave me this bottle.

Review:
Its gonna be very difficult to beat this Bourbon at this price point IMHO... Seriously, find a $22 - $25 bourbon thats better. Someone show me a better better at a lower price... I DARE YA...

PRos - Boat Load of Cinnamon, Caramel, Very spicy, and some smooth characteristics. It has a very long finish, which I truly appreciate. Almost like a ginger cookie type of flavor.

Cons - its not the smoothist bourbon,

I can honestly say, I think I would choose Knob Creek over Pappys 10 year in a blind taste..

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Seriously, find a $22 - $25 bourbon thats better. Someone show me a better better at a lower price... I DARE YA...

Try Elijah Craig and Larceny. Either are my go to under $30 bottles.

fmo24

Reaction score
After opening an expensive bottle how long can you keep it? Like wine oxidizes after opening does bourbon lose its taste?

Xring01

Reaction score
As long as its over half full, it will last a very very long time...

Once it gets below half, I would plan on finishing it in a month... but thats me.

doc_texoma

Reaction score
Reasonable ones:

Basil Haydens
Four Roses

I live in Dallas and Four Roses came to my liquor store only recently (though I know its an ANCIENT brand, so thats weird), and I second it as a recommendation. Its wonderful!

Xring01

Reaction score
Four Roses, Elijah are both great Bourbons, but at least at my stores, they are more expensive than Knob Creek..., if my memory is correct, both are smoother than Knob... but Knob is typically at 100 proof, I believe the others are 90 or below.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Can anyone get Weller red label or Michters 10 year? I will pay handsomely

Xring01

Reaction score
I found a Weller Green label recently

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Can anyone get Weller red label or Michters 10 year? I will pay handsomely

like this one? I’ve committed to trade it after my Texas trip. If it doesn’t go through I’ll let you know.

EC281A44-33CB-4DE2-8C14-803A76C88C08.jpeg

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I really enjoyed this one. Had it for a bit and wanted it for our family Christmas party. Had my reservations about Utah whisky, but was presently surprised with the smoothness and the hint of wine as it’s finished in port barrels.

the neg is that it’s pricy, around $90 Retail.

BE92EAD0-1C98-4B49-8CCF-DEE11769E203.jpeg

Deangang

v-drive row member
Reaction score
EH Taylor.

first nose was very grainy like pure alcohol then mellowed out. First taste had a good bite, but could be the 100 proof. 2nd taste was a bit more mellow. Oak, vanilla, and brown sugar came to me. Flavors lasted around a minute then fell off.

Perhaps letting the bottle breathe will loosen the grain alcohol smell/bite. But for $60 bucks it’s not bad, still a bit over retail.

will give it another try tomorrow and see if there is a change.

View attachment 823539
Love the EH Taylor that’s my go to .

Done-it-again

Reaction score

there’s a total wine on beach Blvd. go there and ask them when is their delivery day. Then you show up that day before they open and wait. Sometimes they know what’s coming in and sometimes they don’t. It’s the only place they sell everything retail and not marked up. So Weller antique is about $28.