WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bourbon Thread - Reviews

HBCraig

Reaction score
Just got this. Not red label but I hear it's solid
20191224_132739.jpg

Done-it-again

Reaction score
With all this bourbon talk. Does anyone want to trade for a Willet pot still reserve?

I already have one and it’s not for me and would rather trying something else.

39E9C794-B99A-410B-9ACF-FAF34E816815.jpeg

Xring01

Reaction score
0CD735BE-75E9-4917-AFC2-6407624E5384.jpeg

Wow, This is a solid bourbon.. I paid $30 ish at Bevmo today...

My first time with this Jeffersons..., honestly why pay $80 for Jef Oceans when you get this for half price?

It has a very different taste profile, than what I expect out of bourbon. That can be perceived as a negative, but I truly enjoyed it.

Pros
First taste, was a huge citrus flavor. Never had a bourbon that I detected Citus, Orange flavors, Followed by vanilla, cinnamom, butter flavors. Long after taste. Great balance of smooth to spicy ratio.

Cons,,,
I am being very picky here... maybe a bit more oak, a bit more time in the barrel... Could that make the above flavors come out more?

This is a solid 9 out of 10....

Go get yourself one of these... great value

Done-it-again

Reaction score
where do you live?
I am a fan of Willets, have some micro batch stuff you cant get on the open market

Im in Rancho and my office is in Ontario.

I’m good with pretty much anything especially something I haven’t had before.

Xring01

Reaction score
Consider it a trade
PM me your number, and we can coordinate from there..

I live in Murrieta

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Consider it a trade

I live in Murrieta

sounds good. I leave for Texas on Friday and will message you when I return the week of the 6th.

HBCraig

Reaction score
View attachment 828172

My first time with this Jeffersons..., honestly why pay $80 for Jef Oceans when you get this for half price?

It has a very different taste profile, than what I expect out of bourbon. That can be perceived as a negative, but I truly enjoyed it.

Pros
First taste, was a huge citrus flavor. Never had a bourbon that I detected Citus, Orange flavors, Followed by vanilla, cinnamom, butter flavors. Long after taste. Great balance of smooth to spicy ratio.

Cons,,,
I am being very picky here... maybe a bit more oak, a bit more time in the barrel... Could that make the above flavors come out more?

Very solid

I just discovered that as well

Done-it-again

Reaction score
how does that compare to Jefferson's private select?

never had Jefferson’s so cannot say. I can say the Weller is good and if you can get it retail (mid 20’s) it’s damn good for the price.

Last edited:

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
View attachment 828172

Pros

Cons,,,

They do make a double oaked version... Also do some interesting wine cask finished stuff. My favorite Whiskey ever is their Groth Cab finished. Impossible to find, but very worth it when you do!

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'll admit, I think I've had bourbon once maybe...don't know shit about it. My question is I'd like to buy someone a bottle of bourbon (for a bourbon drinker) that is under $100 that is good but also maybe a little unique. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'll admit, I think I've had bourbon once maybe...don't know shit about it. My question is I'd like to buy someone a bottle of bourbon (for a bourbon drinker) that is under $100 that is good but also maybe a little unique. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Find an Elijah Craig barrel proof. It’s the one pictured above. It’s very good. About $60 retail.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Consider it a trade

I live in Murrieta

I haven’t forgot. Been busy having the office closed from Christmas to New Years.

I’m leaving for LHC for a funeral on Thursday and return Sunday. Will touch base next week of your still interested.

Xring01

Reaction score

This thread has all the info you need to make a decision..
Just read it.... Tells the vast majority of what you need to know...

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Wife got me a cabinet for my bourbons as she wanted them out of the pantry. Pretty happy with it as I have more room to add add more bottles.

AD583A32-CFFA-48C9-857D-1F2E92043610.jpeg

Winding down with the High West mid summer night dram. I would say this is one of the favorites whiskeys to sip on neat. Very nice mellow drink with a port wine finish.
077DA569-3536-402F-91FF-5AA9DA48D0A5.jpeg

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
I was hoping to get the Cliff Notes.:D
Go to a local liquor store that has a good reputation and ask them for suggestions. Sometimes local stores will have hard to find bottles for such occasions.

If I were looking to buy a good bourbon as a gift for under $100, right now I would probably buy a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel Private Selection. It's barrel strength and an entire barrel will be bottled specifically for one liquor store with a label on the side of the bottle with the store name on it. A bit unique but not impossible to find, runs about $90 around me here in PHX.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
If I were looking to buy a good bourbon as a gift for under $100, right now I would probably buy a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel Private Selection. It's barrel strength and an entire barrel will be bottled specifically for one liquor store with a label on the side of the bottle with the store name on it. A bit unique but not impossible to find, runs about $90 around me here in PHX.
This is exactly what I bought!

Xring01

Reaction score
Never had that Stagg before, give it a review

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Never had that Stagg before, give it a review

Me neither and have been looking for a bottle for sometime. I do have to admit that I did pay above retail, but cheaper than craigslist pricing.

I did open the Jack last night as this is my first bottle besides the cheap black label one. I always had the conception that Jack was blah and never tried any other bottles. With that I wasn't expecting much when I opened this bottle. I let it breath for a min and gave it a smell test. To my surprise, it was fruity with notes of bananas and cherries. First taste neat, was dark rich nutty flavor, with not much fruity taste as it smelled. It was a bold smooth taste, but it was hot going down. It also had a long lasting finish. My second taste was on rock ice, this turned the taste to spice peppery notes. It had a much more up front boldness with less after finish.

It's a very good bottle, but I would still put the Elijag barrel proof above this.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Me neither and have been looking for a bottle for sometime. I do have to admit that I did pay above retail, but cheaper than craigslist pricing.

I did open the Jack last night as this is my first bottle besides the cheap black label one. I always had the conception that Jack was blah and never tried any other bottles. With that I wasn't expecting much when I opened this bottle. I let it breath for a min and gave it a smell test. To my surprise, it was fruity with notes of bananas and cherries. First taste neat, was dark rich nutty flavor, with not much fruity taste as it smelled. It was a bold smooth taste, but it was hot going down. It also had a long lasting finish. My second taste was on rock ice, this turned the taste to spice peppery notes. It had a much more up front boldness with less after finish.

It's a very good bottle, but I would still put the Elijag barrel proof above this.

I have always been a fan of stagg, and a collector of Jack. If you liked the barrel proof, maybe give the Single Barrel Rye a go, that is my latest sipper more often than not. I agree that black label Jack isn't that complicated, and was engineered to be in a glass with coke and ice in my opinion, but they certainly have a lot more going on than just that. My wall of Jack.
bar2020.jpg

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I have always been a fan of stagg, and a collector of Jack. If you liked the barrel proof, maybe give the Single Barrel Rye a go, that is my latest sipper more often than not. I agree that black label Jack isn't that complicated, and was engineered to be in a glass with coke and ice in my opinion, but they certainly have a lot more going on than just that. My wall of Jack. View attachment 842306

That looks great..... I'm glad I got the bottle of Jack and now have a different view if the brand. Not much of a rye fan (unless in an old fashioned) on ice or neat. But I will give it a shot if I see at a bar.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Anyone have an Elijah 18 they want to sell or trade? I have a Michters 10 that retails for the same price.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I had a shot of that Jack Daniels Single Barrel last week in Glamis...

Smooooooooth.

I'm normally a rum drinker, but I'm Gonna have to track me down some of that.

This one is a store pick single barrel and barrel proof from El. Cerrito Liquor in Corona.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I was thinking BevMo would have it...

Guess not?

They would so would Total wine but not the "store pick" (were the store buys the whole barrel with their name on it).....Bevmo is more $$$ but they price match.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Had Bourbon for the first time last night. Neighbor brought it over. First was Knob Creek. I did like it. Then he went home and brought over Four Roses. Liked it a lot better. To my inexperienced taste buds I am going to have to more research before I know why I liked one more than the other.

I have been more of a Gentleman Jack for neat and black label Jack for Jack and coke.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Bought this recently. About 2/3s through. It is good. A little more bite than I am used to; maybe because unfiltered? About 60.00 a bottle. Had to try it being a Las Vegas company! Please keep in mind I like whiskey but I know very little about it. I just take advice from some of the employees at Wine and More. The kid working there that helped me with bottle seemed to really know his stuff.

smoke-wagon-uncut-unfiltered-straight-bourbon-whiskey_main-1.jpg

Last edited: