WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bourbon Thread - Reviews

GETBOATS

Reaction score
Give this one a shot!!
OurBabies-SingleBarrel.png

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I expect some good reviews this weekend.

the wilderness trail is the most sweetest tasting bourbon I’ve had, but not sweet like candy and not like barreld in a port cask. It’s has a good smooth finish but did leave my mouth with a dry feeling. It’s a good one for the cabinet. Glad I bought it.

Deangang

v-drive row member
Reaction score
the wilderness trail is the most sweetest tasting bourbon I’ve had, but not sweet like candy and not like barreld in a port cask. It’s has a good smooth finish but did leave my mouth with a dry feeling. It’s a good one for the cabinet. Glad I bought it.

I love both the rye and the bourbon . They use a sweet mash and #4 char that gives a very distinguishable flavor . I’d highly recommend them both .

Attachments

• A8BBD612-0DFB-4C98-B954-B671944C6507.jpeg
    A8BBD612-0DFB-4C98-B954-B671944C6507.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 166

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Any of my fellow drunkards have an infinity bottle going? I just started one the other night...

Killed off a few dregs, and added a splash (maybe 2) of:
Weller green
Larceny barrel select
Calumet Black 12yr
1792 small batch
Eagle rare
4 Roses single barrel (OESF)
George Dickel 9yr barrel select
Jefferson Twin oak
Jefferson Pritchard Hill
Rabbit Hole Dareringer
Brackenridge 105
Angels Envy Cask strength
Makers 46
Uncle Nearest 1856
OGD 114
Old Forester statesman
Makers private select (2,3,4,1,0)
Blantons

Currently blending in the Blantons bottle. Initial samplings show it as a hit, but will need more trials to be sure!
20200309_195711.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Any of my fellow drunkards have an infinity bottle going? I just started one the other night...

Killed off a few dregs, and added a splash (maybe 2) of:
Weller green
Larceny barrel select
Calumet Black 12yr
1792 small batch
Eagle rare
4 Roses single barrel (OESF)
George Dickel 9yr barrel select
Jefferson Twin oak
Jefferson Pritchard Hill
Rabbit Hole Dareringer
Brackenridge 105
Angels Envy Cask strength
Makers 46
Uncle Nearest 1856
OGD 114
Old Forester statesman
Makers private select (2,3,4,1,0)
Blantons

Currently blending in the Blantons bottle. Initial samplings show it as a hit, but will need more trials to be sure!
View attachment 855173

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Got 3 bottles this weekend. 2 were gifts.

Wilderness trail. Really good sweet bourbon.

Uncle nearest 1856. Spicy, tasted roasted peanuts. It’s different.

Kentucky owl straight bourbon #9. Not opening yet. But interested to see how it tastes. It’s pricy.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Got this one yesterday damn its good.

IMG_20200725_165313872.jpg
IMG_20200725_214327584.jpg

It's called burning chair. Dave phinney is the wine maker behind orwin swift. He sold his first cult wine the prisoner for a ton of cash. He then started making some other wines under the locations label and sold those for a ton of cash. He took the money and bought a chunk of mare island in the San Fransisco bay and built a distillery. This is his first offering.

This is only aged for 4 years and I can't wait to taste the stuff that has a bit more time. That said this is the best 4 year I have ever had. A little bit of fire up front and then a journey on the palate. There is definitely some smoke but you can almost taste the different barrels in a set order. Its weird and awesome at the same time. Finish is smooth. Price is 50 bucks and I think it's my new favorite.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Anyone get anything good lately?
This arrived today. Have heard good things about smoke wagon. Besides, I like the bottle.

A0641383-2B3E-4A19-99B3-11249979E618.jpeg

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Polished off a bottle of 25th anniversary Knob Creek tonight...

Its spicy, huge flavor profile, Damn good bourbon....

But I like pretty much all bourbon... and big tits... but thats me

So far my favorite knob is the 9yr 120 proof. Beats the 12 and 15. But haven’t had the 25. And x 2 on tits.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I've been on a Pinhook kick recently, I really like their rye series.

I have bottle of the non rye but I don't remember which one as they have a few. Wasn't to fond of it when I opened it, might have to try it again now that it has been opened for a little bit.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
How about “Pabst” Whisky. Thought it was a cool thing. Aged 5 seconds. Lol

9B3196B8-96DB-4B71-A3D6-79F64E15823F.jpeg

Last edited:

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I'm gonna print this thread and take it with to TW&M...

😁

You have a suggestion knowing I Really liked that Single Barrel?

For me it’s the Elijah barrel proof. Runs about 120-135 proof depending on the batch. Most resent is B520 but anyone is great. About a $70 Bottle.

For something less expensive and easier to find would be the knob creek single barrel 9 year 120 proof one not the 100 proof.

I’m also a fan of all the Old foresters. Statesman and prohibition or my favorites.

among others

4150060B-13F0-4494-B42C-ECBD3CE52DAC.jpeg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I saw a lot of peeps in this thread liked the Knob Creek. I think I might go for that, then maybe your pick on the next one.

Thanks. 👍

Andy B.

Reaction score
For me it’s the Elijah barrel proof. Runs about 120-135 proof depending on the batch. Most resent is B520 but anyone is great. About a $70 Bottle.

For something less expensive and easier to find would be the knob creek single barrel 9 year 120 proof one not the 100 proof.

I’m also a fan of all the Old foresters. Statesman and prohibition or my favorites.

among others

View attachment 934633

Now that's a collection love the BLANTONS!!
The single barrel Elijah Craig isn't bad 91 proof and I can get it for $32.00. Going to try the one you suggested though!

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Now that's a collection love the BLANTONS!!
The single barrel Elijah Craig isn't bad 91 proof and I can get it for $32.00. Going to try the one you suggested though!

Is the complete letter set, and the boxes behind are back up drinkers......

I'm a big Elijah fan as they all taste very good. If you can find the 18yr old for under $200 get it (retail they are $150), you wont be disappointed, but it is on the lower proof.

High West is good, I really like their Midwinter nights Dram

Also the Smoke Wagon Straight bourbon is decent... Very close to a eagle rare and price about the same $30.00

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Small liquor store in HB.

Want me to grab another if I see it?

A Weller 12?

Edit.....Appreciate the offer, but I promised the wife that I pay retail and intern I can keep buying... For got, but I think I paid $50 or so for my Weller 12.

Done-it-again

Reaction score

The key is, ask your local TW store when their bonbon delivers are and wait about 2hrs before they open to see what comes in. Should be a line....If you are 7 and higher you might not get anything.... But if you do you pay retail

Xring01

Reaction score

among others

View attachment 934633

look at all that Blantons
I could have all kinds of fun in that cabinet

Done-it-again

Reaction score
look at all that Blantons
I could have all kinds of fun in that cabinet

ha ha ha, it took about a year buying retail prices...

If you want a good one try Hancock Reserve.... very similar to Blanton's. But just as hard to get

Andy B.

Reaction score
ha ha ha, it took about a year buying retail prices...

If you want a good one try Hancock Reserve.... very similar to Blanton's. But just as hard to get
I'll attest to that but the price keeps going up and its hard to find now here in Vegas.

AR33

Reaction score
Was extremely surprised by Redneck Riviera whiskey. I assumed it was another celebrity gimmick alcohol. But damn, it was smooth and tasty. Not bad for the $$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I have bottle of the non rye but I don't remember which one as they have a few. Wasn't to fond of it when I opened it, might have to try it again now that it has been opened for a little bit.

Some have not been as good, but the pink Bohemian High Proof Bourbon is my non rye bottle. One thing I like as opposed to many of these other labels just slapping their label on the MGP juice and not distilling their own, is that they have been transitioning into their very own bourbon's and ryes, and they are a bit young yet, but will eventually be properly mature, and not just the same bourbon from the same distiller with a different label.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score

among others

View attachment 934633

Very nice collection, I too will only pay at retail. Frustratingly Bookers and Stagg used to be routine enough purchases from Total Wine not that many years ago, but I have been out for a long time and cannot replace them. I think I see some Col. Taylor up there as well, I have been very pleased with that as well. I need to build out another wall as everyone presumes I just have Jack in my collection, and the others brands lying around are just a second thought. There are a few editions since that last photo, such as the Eric Church you have on your shelf, but definitely time to build out another wall. The 3 liter makes everything look like airline bottles in photos too :)
bar2020.jpg

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Some have not been as good, but the pink Bohemian High Proof Bourbon is my non rye bottle. One thing I like as opposed to many of these other labels just slapping their label on the MGP juice and not distilling their own, is that they have been transitioning into their very own bourbon's and ryes, and they are a bit young yet, but will eventually be properly mature, and not just the same bourbon from the same distiller with a different label.

I agree, a lot of makers using MGP and branding it as theirs using their basic blend, but MGP will make your recipe too.

I have the high proof, brought it to the office Friday after your post to taste again with the crew but didn't end up doing it. Will have to this week.

921005EC-1C57-451F-8063-45E20F909ED0.jpeg

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Very nice collection, I too will only pay at retail. Frustratingly Bookers and Stagg used to be routine enough purchases from Total Wine not that many years ago, but I have been out for a long time and cannot replace them. I think I see some Col. Taylor up there as well, I have been very pleased with that as well. I need to build out another wall as everyone presumes I just have Jack in my collection, and the others brands lying around are just a second thought. There are a few editions since that last photo, such as the Eric Church you have on your shelf, but definitely time to build out another wall. The 3 liter makes everything look like airline bottles in photos too :) View attachment 935960

Great Jack collection. The single barrel barrel proof Jack i have is pretty good, not sure I'll open the Eric Church one.

I typically find Booker's pretty often (now that i say that....lol), it's my fathers favorite. I also can find E.H small batch, but anything else no way. For $100 I can get the single barrel, just haven't done it as it's not "retail". Stagg JR retail is almost impossible, I got lucky a year ago. Haven't since.

I stopped at a new liquor store Friday and the guy was trying to sell me his Blantons for $199 damn guys is crazy.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I agree, a lot of makers using MGP and branding it as theirs using their basic blend, but MGP will make your recipe too.

I have the high proof, brought it to the office Friday after your post to taste again with the crew but didn't end up doing it. Will have to this week.

View attachment 935961

Awesome, the "Rye Humor" light blue rye high proof is my favorite of their line so far. Can't go wrong with anything on your shelves though, but for the price point, definitely willing to see where Pinhook can get themselves to.

AR33

Reaction score
This was on sale. I’m very impressed.
IMG_5411.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Done-it-again

Reaction score
125 proof that'll curl the toes!! Most of the bourbon I drink is around 90-94 proof.

Honestly try this, depending on the batch it can range from 125 to 136.

Its soooo good and smooth it’s hard to tell it’s hot. I’ve had lesser proof that is spicer.

6A411C53-AC6B-4157-9CBE-151E8DA2A2C8.jpeg