WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bourbon Thread - Reviews

Done-it-again

Reaction score
My field guys just gave me this for Christmas.... Hard to find and I'm sure they paid top dollar for it.... Now do i share a taste or keep it locked up for a bit....That's a tough one.

F02E64F0-F4FC-401A-8791-22DE744A97AB.jpeg

Jimmyv

Reaction score
Is this the thread to brag about your best bourbon? This is tasting flight that’s not fuckin around:
Eagle Rare - Colonel Taylor - Old Rip Van Winkle - Van Winkle special reserve - Pappy Van Winkle

Honestly, my wife’s a Michters drinker and my go to has always been Jack. Also, these were are very special gift and not something I would or could afford!

99B0A56B-CF3D-4531-BBE9-C2F5C9BD5163.jpeg

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Is this the thread to brag about your best bourbon? This is tasting flight that’s not fuckin around:
Eagle Rare - Colonel Taylor - Old Rip Van Winkle - Van Winkle special reserve - Pappy Van Winkle

Honestly, my wife’s a Michters drinker and my go to has always been Jack. Also, these were are very special gift and not something I would or could afford!

Says the guy who show pics of his pappy bottles. That and also they don’t taste as good as the price they bring.

Jimmyv

Reaction score
Says the guy who show pics of his pappy bottles. That and also they don’t taste as good as the price they bring.
Agreed!
Definitely not worth the prices in my eyes, but again I’m a confessed Jack fan. It is the best whiskey? God no, but the price point is right.

I think Jack Daniels is a good value and I’m a fan of the brand. Plenty of better bottles of Jack can be had, but again you start seeing inflated prices. Particularly on the secondary market for the rare stuff.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Agreed!
Definitely not worth the prices in my eyes, but again I’m a confessed Jack fan. It is the best whiskey? God no, but the price point is right.

I think Jack Daniels is a good value and I’m a fan of the brand. Plenty of better bottles of Jack can be had, but again you start seeing inflated prices. Particularly on the secondary market for the rare stuff.

completely agree, that’s why I buy everything I own at retail. I did buy a bottle of van winkle lot 12b for my father 5yrs ago and it was $400. Even though it’s decent wasn’t worth it

Jack single barrel-barrel proof really surprised me. It’s hot at 130 something.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
completely agree, that’s why I buy everything I own at retail. I did buy a bottle of van winkle lot 12b for my father 5yrs ago and it was $400. Even though it’s decent wasn’t worth it

Jack single barrel-barrel proof really surprised me. It’s hot at 130 something.

As seen above I am quite the Jack fan, the 2020 Single Barrel special release is a single barrel, barrel proof rye, that's my jam, however, I haven't found any in So Cal yet. Everyone should be on the lookout for that one. The barrel proof Jack is my current favorite from their line, great whiskey especially at the price. Here is what I am in search of, its been for sale everywhere else in the world and other states, just no California yet by the looks of it.

JDSBR.jpg

Done-it-again

Reaction score
As seen above I am quite the Jack fan, the 2020 Single Barrel special release is a single barrel, barrel proof rye, that's my jam, however, I haven't found any in So Cal yet. Everyone should be on the lookout for that one. The barrel proof Jack is my current favorite from their line, great whiskey especially at the price. Here is what I am in search of, its been for sale everywhere else in the world and other states, just no California yet by the looks of it.

View attachment 952380

I'll be heading to Texas after Christmas and will keep an eye out for you.....

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I'll be heading to Texas after Christmas and will keep an eye out for you.....

Many thanks, I am nervous that by the time So Cal gets it, everyone that missed their chance out of state will poach the little inventory coming here, if you see em, grab em, and thanks again. 👍

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Many thanks, I am nervous that by the time So Cal gets it, everyone that missed their chance out of state will poach the little inventory coming here, if you see em, grab em, and thanks again. 👍

Just checked my local places at lunch....They know about it but haven't seen any yet. Will see.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Tried another cheaper Dave Phinney Bourbon called lip service.

1608332448623.png

Way overpaid for it double at bevmo than what it was at total wine and honestly it was too hot to be enjoyable. A little water mellowed it out and released some of the flavor but I wont be going down that road again.

Burning Chair was special and I would absolutely buy it again.

1608332497682.png

The lower priced Lip service sucked.

He has a American Whiskey called Second Glance that I want to try might pick up a bottle after the holidays.
1608332609204.png

riverroyal

Reaction score
Just opened this. Xmas work gift. Super easy to drink. Oak flavor and honey like.
I googled it, turns out its not cheap. Just over 100. 4 year age in heavy charred new barrels.
Im gonna keep tasting. Lol
20201218_172822.jpg

Done-it-again

Reaction score
So being in TX for a week and only had time to stop at 2 liquor stores I haven’t found much.

Only Weller special reserve , ok. I did pick up a Doc Swinson 15.

But the Weller. Never seen it in a 5th before. So had to buy it. And also a 1.75 liter bottle.

4CD85EA2-47EE-4243-9E50-0C738F9F5ABC.jpeg

94796B23-E9F1-4FA1-B1E1-B438D8ACCF71.jpeg

Done-it-again

Reaction score

View attachment 952380

Is this one of the green labels you like?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 98

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
Picked this up the other day. A business partner and I tasked each other with getting a good bottle to stock the office cabinet with. We crack it open when good deals get inked.

Four Gate. Finished in cognac and rum casks. Limited release small batch blah blah blah.

3C7A2C83-BAA4-420E-B8CD-7618C3B573DB.jpeg

Last edited:

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Is this one of the green labels you like?

Yeah, that's one I need for the wall, more to round out the collection. If you can still grab one, happy to reimburse you for it. The real top priority I haven't found yet in So Cal is the new single barrel rye, also with a bit of green on the bottle.

singlebarrelrye-barrelproof.jpg

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Yeah, that's one I need for the wall, more to round out the collection. If you can still grab one, happy to reimburse you for it. The real top priority I haven't found yet in So Cal is the new single barrel rye, also with a bit of green on the bottle.

View attachment 960665

I can get the regular green. Want the 750 ml or the 1.75? It’s 23 ish for the small and 46 for the big.

Done-it-again

Reaction score

View attachment 960665

Looks like I missed it from another liquor store I go to. He’s usually a few more dollars than retail but gets good stuff. But you need to act fast cause it moves fast.

0D769992-F8F4-40A8-9DFD-708590E07B43.png

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Looks like I missed it from another liquor store I go to. He’s usually a few more dollars than retail but gets good stuff. But you need to act fast cause it moves fast.

View attachment 960851
Yep, its becoming quite the unicorn, if you see it, grab as many as they will let you :) Sell a couple and pay your gas bill for the drive out there and back. I personally want one to save, and one to drink. So strange they are not in California at all yet, and who knows if ever.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Yep, its becoming quite the unicorn, if you see it, grab as many as they will let you :) Sell a couple and pay your gas bill for the drive out there and back. I personally want one to save, and one to drink. So strange they are not in California at all yet, and who knows if ever.

I picked up the other green label. Will be heading back this weekend.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
@ChevelleSB406 I have the basic green bottle Jack for you..... Where are you located?

That's so awesome, I am in Brea, CA .... North OC. Where do you live? If close happy to meet up somewhere, if not, send you money for bottle and shipping. Thanks again for doing this and picking it up.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
That's so awesome, I am in Brea, CA .... North OC. Where do you live? If close happy to meet up somewhere, if not, send you money for bottle and shipping. Thanks again for doing this and picking it up.

My office is in Ontario 15/60 interchange. Could be heading that way in a week or so. I can keep you posted.

Music to my Ears

Conducting Beautiful Music
Reaction score
im not a fan as I don’t care for the smoked peat in scotch.

If you are a scotch guy you should like it.

I'm not a scotch guy for that very reason, not a peat fan. This wasn't all that peaty in my opinion so not too bad.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
What do you want in trade?

Smoke Wagon small batch straight or uncut unfiltered.
Elijah Craig barrel proof (any batch #)
Weller antique 107 (750ml bottle)

Open to options...

Just no Dickel....lol

FlatNv

Reaction score
Client gave me the smoke wagon , haven't tried it yet ..my go too lately has been Old Elk..
IMG_20210327_181123369.jpg

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I won a allocation and received a cask strength Angels Envy and picked it up last night.

Truthful I don’t know much about Angels Envy and wanted a few different bottles. So I have some reading to do.

The presentation in the box is very nice.

520628AD-7BDC-4698-B41B-A42EEA2C20EF.jpeg

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I won a allocation and received a cask strength Angels Envy and picked it up last night.

Truthful I don’t know much about Angels Envy and wanted a few different bottles. So I have some reading to do.

The presentation in the box is very nice.

View attachment 998313

angels envy entry offering is extremely drinkable. A buddy of mine raves about their more expensive stuff. Let us know what you think. Cool box!

Done-it-again

Reaction score
angels envy entry offering is extremely drinkable. A buddy of mine raves about their more expensive stuff. Let us know what you think. Cool box!

To be honest, not sure if I’ll open it. I drink most of my collection but some are reserved. If I get a 2nd bottle then for sure it will be opened.

I have a few open bottles to finish too.

3A4BEF16-0D5E-4B08-83D9-185252AB1932.jpeg