WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bow riding a pontoon: really?

cofooter

Reaction score
Lucky to be alive........ but thats why they have rules and LEO to enforce them. Unfortunately, some people don't think about these things.......

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
See it all the time in pirates cove channel. Often kids, scares the shit out of me. Probably the worst type of boat to bowride, the toons guide you right to the prop...

PlanB

Reaction score
See it all the time in pirates cove channel. Often kids, scares the shit out of me. Probably the worst type of boat to bowride, the toons guide you right to the prop...

Were just there last week with some friends and their kids, and a toon went by with a kid on the front hanging his legs in the water. Made a point of telling the kids and parents that were with us to never do that if they get a boat.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Seen a dude riding on the front of a closed bow vee last week, standing up no less running about 70mph.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Wouldn’t have happened in a jet. Another pro to you jet haters [emoji38]
True. Props wreck havoc on what they snag. Jets would just blow swimwear right off, even when in the boat... Someone in our group thought it would be funny to tap the throttle in a cove and hose us down a bit in the boat.

cofooter

Reaction score
True. Props wreck havoc on what they snag. Jets would just blow swimwear right off, even when in the boat... Someone in our group thought it would be funny to tap the throttle in a cove and hose us down a bit in the boat.
Haha, I almost got blown off a pontoon once when our friend in a jet did that to us, and where I was riding was totally legal. :eek::eek:

Your ad here

Reaction score
Haha, I almost got blown off a pontoon once when our friend in a jet did that to us, and where I was riding was totally legal. :eek::eek:
I believe it. I've crawled back to see how much water a 400hp jet moves at 3200 rpm. It looked more violent than the spillways flowing at Glen Canyon Dam. 400hp water pump can move a shitload of water and that was only at 3200 rpm Couldn't image what 5k rpm looks like.

mobldj

Reaction score
sitting on the porch last month at river lodge,sure as shit 3 idiots riding the front of the toon.unbelievable.....

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I only feel bad for that kid.
Bad, because her mother is such an idiot!

Even after it happened, she blamed the guy who made the "big wave" and not her own stupid ass for sitting on the pontoon!
Even worse, it was her neice. Absolutely ZERO common sense anymore.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
She said her husband shut it down "immediately"...but she popped up 30yds behind the boat by the time he did. Big wake, or wake was hit too fast. Either way, really glad the kid was safe, no responsible adults apparently.

Mototrig

Reaction score
So sad, sometimes people just don't see or understand the risks.

I rented a toon at Shaver Lake a couple of years ago. The kids repeatedly begged to ride in the front on the bow. I never once wondered if it was legal or not, the answer was a stern "NO it isn't safe". God if I let them ride up there and one had fallen in without me knowing? I couldn't live with myself.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
My first serious accident was this exact situation. 1978 Easter week, Lake Mohave, Cottonwood Cove, early morning. Group of college kids. One girl on the bow of the toon, legs dragging in water, slipped off and was drug through the prop. Friends didn't notice for several minutes and when they did, turned around and retraced their wake until the found her, treading water. Being early spring, the cold water and shock kept her from noticing how bad her injuries were. She was concious, but thought she just got banged up. When they pulled her aboard, prop chops every 8-10 inches, sliced from the small of her back, down to toes, on both legs. Right foot missing completely missing, left foot barely hanging by tendons. No radio of cell phones back then. They hauled back to CC, NPS called a chopper, but she'd lost too much blood, and despite our efforts, she passed on the way to the Hospital. Tough one to cut your teeth on.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
The only time I’ve yelled at someone while boating, kid sitting on the front of a pontoon underway. Made me furious.

cofooter

Reaction score
The only time I’ve yelled at someone while boating, kid sitting on the front of a pontoon underway. Made me furious.
That's why they have a gate, common sense!

Keymyster

Reaction score
See it all the time in the channel. LE does absolutely nothing anymore. Don't hardly see them.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Last weekend we saw a man laying down on a surfboard holding onto the back of pontoon as it drug him through the channel, at one point even trying to stand up on the board....literally inches from the prop....smh

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
See it all the time in the channel. LE does absolutely nothing anymore. Don't hardly see them.

Blame the courts and attorneys, not the Police.

The Arizona statute on bow riding applies while " operating in excess of wakeless speed". When we try to express the fact that people get killed or seriously injured, even at slow speeds, lawyers argue that it isn't specifically mentioned in the statute, even though the wording says "No person shall operate a watercraft in a careless, reckless or negligent manner."

Keymyster

Reaction score
They can write these idiots up. Let them take time out of their day to fight it. Matter of fact Ive never seen so many boats with no numbers at all showing on their boats.