WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Box anchor question

BigMike

Reaction score
I jumped on the bandwagon and picked up a large box anchor for my 28' deck boat. I know it says that I don't need any chain attached to it, but where I'm going to use it for a week is known to get windy at times. Will it hurt to add chain? Will it help? What does the RDP brain trust think? Thanks

RCDave

Reaction score
I jumped on the bandwagon and picked up a large box anchor for my 28' deck boat. I know it says that I don't need any chain attached to it, but where I'm going to use it for a week is known to get windy at times. Will it hurt to add chain? Will it help? What does the RDP brain trust think? Thanks

Chain will help. Especially if the bottom is Rocky.

If it's sand or mud, you shouldn't have any issues without it.

The length of rope is important.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Get the chain because it will help it stay down and flat where it is most effective. Those large box anchors are pretty damn heavy though so you should be good.

BUSTI

Reaction score
Bottom line is their advertising is bogus. Like all anchors the more SCOPE you have the better. If you have the line set a lot and no chain is needed but if you want it to work in shallow water with almost no line out you need chain. They won't tell you but all their holding capabilities are based off of a 10:1 SCOPE. not the advertised 2:1.

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
What I do is I drop the anchor way the hell out there and drag it back with the boat to where I'm going to park. This way the box fills up now that box is heavily as hell.
28 deck park on the river

BUSTI

Reaction score
What I do is I drop the anchor way the hell out there and drag it back with the boat to where I'm going to park. This way the box fills up now that box is heavily as hell.
28 deck park on the river

You don't use an anchor at the bars. [emoji12]

Joker

Reaction score
We lost our box anchor last year and I couldnt be more happy based on how mush of a pain in the ass they are to toss and retrieve. I've been using our Fortress anchor for a good 15 years and it hooks to everything, plus its aluminum.:thumbsup

BigMike

Reaction score
Bottom line is their advertising is bogus. Like all anchors the more SCOPE you have the better. If you have the line set a lot and no chain is needed but if you want it to work in shallow water with almost no line out you need chain. They won't tell you but all their holding capabilities are based off of a 10:1 SCOPE. not the advertised 2:1.

The depth that I will be anchoring is somewhere between 20-30 feet on a lake (so, no current) and will have a line off the stern to the shore as well. At that depth, how much line should I have out? And if you can, school me on SCOPE...

BUSTI

Reaction score
It's the ratio of water depth to the amount of rope you let out. 10' of water depth and 50' of rope is a 5:1 scope. IMG_4088.JPG

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Chain and the best way to retrieve it is directly above it.

Singleton

Reaction score
Chain and the best way to retrieve it is directly above it.

This. The box anchors I have work so much better with 6' of chain then enough line after that. I always laugh in steamboat as others drift by us when the line goes straight down from the boat. I usually have a 4:1 ratio out.

Ultra247

Reaction score
I have a Danforth and a box anchor in the boat and chain on both of them. The box is kind of a pain to open and latch but it works well. I got a 5' piece of plastic covered chain (Overtons) so that it doesn't rust or scratch my interior. The chain greatly reduces the rode that you need. I usually about 30' of line from the anchor chain to a bow clip, continue down the side of the boat to another clip on the rear tie down and then continue to a lake stake on shore. Takes a 100' line to do it. Undo two clips and you're out and snap two clips and you're in. Easy in and out all day long!! It works really well.

Use a bow line only on the river with the current. Use the two clip method on the lake.

BigMike

Reaction score
Ok, so 10:1 scope is probably out of the question because 20 ft deep would be 200 ft of rope. I like the 6 ft of chain idea. That's what I'll probably go with. 6 feet of chain and 60-80 feet of rope. Thanks fellas for the input. I'll make a new thread once I'm on the water with pics!

77charger

Reaction score
No matter the anchor proper rope length is the most important.I have both a box and a danforth in my boat and i will say both have their advantages.Most think that you can just drop a box anchor straight down and it will hold.:yikes

I have had my danforth in the sand at powell for a week it held out in 54mph gust and end of week i really didnt think it was going to come out but when it comes to rocky bottoms the box works better but never had that much hassle getting a box anchor out from the bottom. .I dont use chain on either set up but use at least a 3-1 scope at minimum and more if needed.

Sonic45SS

Reaction score
Have the large box anchor and love it. Holds better than my big fluke style anchor, and with much less scope also. No chain used either. Mostly sand and mud bottom anchoring. Never an issue holding my 45 even in windy conditions.

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
As mentioned more line is the key. It the biggest mistake people make when anchoring. I see so many people with their line going straight to the bottom from their bow. As your bow bobs so does your line. As the bow goes up it can is set your anchor and it will never properly set after that. Pain in the ass. The chain will allow the rope to fight the chain before it tugs on the anchor itself

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Box anchors look brutal and all, but what wrong with your typical 2 prong deal that you can pick up on Craigslist for $10 or find 5 of on the bottom of the river at any given point at low water...I have at least 7 of these that I've found over the years.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1469685474.690336.jpg

I use 2 times the length of chain as the water is deep, or whatever happens to be shackled to the one I grab first, tie some rope with an empty bottle of Pennzoil XLF looped through it, and bob's yer uncle. Give it a tug and it takes a set very nicely. I gave up on nice buoys as they tend to grow feet. Old oil/coolant jugs tend to not to....plus, that's how we rolled back in the days before $500 moring gear was cool.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Box anchors look brutal and all, but what wrong with your typical 2 prong deal that you can pick up on Craigslist for $10 or find 5 of on the bottom of the river at any given point at low water...I have at least 7 of these that I've found over the years.

View attachment 500956

I use 2 times the length of chain as the water is deep, or whatever happens to be shackled to the one I grab first, tie some rope with an empty bottle of Pennzoil XLF looped through it, and bob's yer uncle. Give it a tug and it takes a set very nicely. I gave up on nice buoys as they tend to grow feet. Old oil/coolant jugs tend to not to....plus, that's how we rolled back in the days before $500 moring gear was cool.
The rare occasion I actually use an anchor, this is what I do. I find very little need in shelling out a couple hundred for an anchor set-up.

236eagledave

Reaction score
I ran a fluke style anchor with about 6 ft of chain but it would almost always break loose. I switched to the large box anchor with the same chain. It never breaks loose now. But damn is it heavy to retrieve!

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I use a large box with 8' of chain and 100' of rope to the shore spike at the river.

Works great. :thumbsup

For the lake I use a Medium box with 50 foot of rope with 6' chain since we mostly anchor in wind protected coves.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
LOL, I drop my large box in and hope for the best. No chain. Anchoring is not my best task. :D
Earlier this year I was in Steamboat next to the Box anchor owner, he asked if I had the red or yellow tipped anchor(leader arm). Can't remember what the difference was but it meant something to him.

relaxalot

Reaction score
Watch the wind.. look at how all the other boats are positioned. Set your anchor away from where you will end up after the wind moves you... AWAY.. do not just drop or "throw" your anchor... it does little good. Ok to drop anchor and then let out enough line to be signifigantly away from your anchor point. If you line is 25' long it is too short... If you are anchored in 10' of water let out at least 50' to 70' of line. If you let out enough line the box anchor will hold.. I have used a large box anchor and a small box anchor together to stop the boat from moving so much if the wind is constantly changing direction. Most of the time I use a large box anchor .. no chain.. 28 deck boat... If you have a bimini up or a pontoon boat it makes a big difference when the wind comes up.

BUSTI

Reaction score
LOL, I drop my large box in and hope for the best. No chain. Anchoring is not my best task. :D

No shit! That me too sometimes. 2 young kids plus s wife and it seems like an impossible task to get it right sometimes.

I've spent hours trying research anchoring techniques but they're all geared to night anchoring in the ocean. I don't have a 100' boat. It's a 25' on the river. Just not a lot of info. My only advice is keep the line as long as possible. Let the anchor dig in. Not bob up.

Dettom

Reaction score
Have the large box anchor and love it. Holds better than my big fluke style anchor, and with much less scope also. No chain used either. Mostly sand and mud bottom anchoring. Never an issue holding my 45 even in windy conditions.

I have to agree. The secret to a box anchor is to use a good knot. Many people don't use an effective knot and lose the anchor. Then, some scuba diver will come along and retrieve it and put it on eBay. Then a guy like me will come along and buy it for a discounted price...

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
No shit! That me too sometimes. 2 young kids plus s wife and it seems like an impossible task to get it right sometimes.

I've spent hours trying research anchoring techniques but they're all geared to night anchoring in the ocean. I don't have a 100' boat. It's a 25' on the river. Just not a lot of info. My only advice is keep the line as long as possible. Let the anchor dig in. Not bob up.
Part of my problem is laziness..lol
I know what's best but its more like "ah, that'll do"..............[emoji12] [emoji23]

rrrr

Reaction score
We lost our box anchor last year and I couldnt be more happy based on how mush of a pain in the ass they are to toss and retrieve. I've been using our Fortress anchor for a good 15 years and it hooks to everything, plus its aluminum.:thumbsup

I've used Fortress anchors for years, it's a great product. They will hold in pretty extreme conditions with a 5:1 scope.

You guys need to work on your marine vocabulary. It's not an anchor rope or line, it's called a rode. :D

The definition of a rode is the rope or chain attached to the anchor used with a small boat. An example of a rode is a cable attached to an anchor which is used to keep a boat from moving in the water.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I put together a quick diagram of my setup at parker strip.

I start by pounding my sand spike about 3 feet from shore.
I have a threaded chain link that attaches to the sand spike and my anchor rope is tied to it.
I also have spring Clips tied to my rope at strategic locations to set the boat in the correct depth.
One spring clip to the Bow Eye and the other to the Stern transom eye
The rope is tied to the buoy and further out the chain attaches via another threaded chain link to the eyelet of the rope.

I usually use a tube or flotation device and float out till the rope is taunt and drop the anchor.
Then paddle back and pull to set the anchor and coil up the slack around the sand spike.

If the water level drops, I will unwind the rope around the sand spike and give slack.
Then put 2 more spring clips further away from shore in knots that I already have in the rope.

Anchoring_boat.jpg

Spring Clip
6mm-60mm-spring-font-b-hook-b-font-stainless-steel-316-wholesale-carabiner-carbine-font-b.jpg

Threaded chain link - several types available
S0160-SQ.jpg

tkrrox

Reaction score
I am curious to what all do also. I was at pirates cove and the guys next to me threw an anchor with buoy and then one to a sand spike they connect to the back of boat.

I was taught by my pops to run anchor/chain/rope all the way back to shore with sand spikeRight after the 20' of chain I run a line up to buoy with clip to bow. Then I run a spring clip off main line with 3' to clip back of boat. Most of the time I leave the back free to move with wind and current. Clip back if other boats are close or if we the wind is calm.

Really bad pic
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1472445370.800103.jpg