WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Box anchor- what are you using?

Qwiketz

Reaction score
Hi all. Time to buy a real anchor for my 25’ cat. Thoughts?

LC925

Reaction score
Slide Anchors Box anchor for sure. The Shore spike is great too.
3CCD21DB-ACB8-4CE8-A097-63F5472614D0.png

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
For Havasu a box anchor is the best thing you can have. I keep one of them and a sand spike from the company in Havasu in the boat.

FishSniper

Reaction score
I need to grab one of the box anchors for our boat. Which size for a 23 ?

Cobalt232

Reaction score
I have a small and a large Box Anchor. The small is fine for our 24' in Havasu. I dropped the large on my foot last year, so I am still mad at it. I will probably only use the large at Lake Powell.

DWC

Reaction score
Large box anchor and you won’t have to mess with it when it’s windy or in most current conditions upriver. You can add a few feet of chain for a little extra hold but as long as you have enough rope out you shouldn’t need it.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
We use a box at Mohave and one at Arrowhead. Works great both places. If I was in the river I think a box would work great there as well.

For mohave we use the box for the bow and set a spike on the beach and tie the stern off to that so the boat is never touching the beach.

franky

Reaction score
I have a large box anchor, storage bag and long nylon line, might have some chain to. $120 and its yours.

Qwiketz

Reaction score
@Qwiketz where do you boat?
Thanks guys. I boat in Havasu and just north of there on the river a bit. We often stop at the sandbar and that’s why I’m asking the question. It’s may too much for the tiny anchor I originally bought on Amazon before I bought the boat. I knew this up front; just kind of procrastinated a bit on buying the right one

dspracing

Reaction score
My box anchor is great, drop it down with no consideration for how much rope I send out. It hooks and holds every time.

The worst part is pulling it up. It typically brings me two big scoops of mud and mussels. It’snot uncommon to have it covered In so much grass I can’t even see the anchor.

if it was lighter and didn’t pull up so much junk from the lake bottom it would be amazing. But all things considered it does it’s job really well.

Bajastu

Reaction score
We use a box anchor and a shore spike for the 19’ Hallett and my wakeboard boat. Add 10’ of chain and it holds on the river, Havasu, and Canyon Lake (40-50’ deep).

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have the large box in polished stainless, as well as the slide anchor in polished stainless.. best combo ever! Use them all the time

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Go into Slide Anchor in Havasu, buy there medium box anchor and a sand spike. Get two or three Slide hooks, a 100’ spool and two smaller dock ropes (15-20) bring cash and he’ll take good care of you. It’s the exact package i had in that boat, but..... yes i kept it for the new boat.

Last edited:

Inland Air Balance

Certified in something
Reaction score
Go into Slide Anchor in Havasu, but their medium box anchor and a sand spike. Get two or three Slide hooks, a 100’ spool and two smaller dock ropes (15-20) bring cash and he’ll take good care of you. It’s the exact package i had in that boat, but..... yes i kept it for the new boat.
This ^^^^^^^^^

oldschool

Reaction score
Looks like the Danik Hook is now the Slide Hook.

Havazoo

Reaction score
Box for sure, but remember the secret is set the anchor with 2 times the line per the depth. 25' depth requires 50' of line after the anchor hits the bottom.
Other style anchors require 4 to 1,
Boat won't go anywhere....

sintax

Reaction score
anyone rocking the triangle anchor? They seem slick, but at $175 for the small, bit out of my cheap ol bastard price range.

traquer

Reaction score
Remember to get good nylon anchor rope. My $40 special from Amazon is already falling apart and kinking after 1 use lol

Reactions: DWC

Joker

Reaction score
If you enjoy stepping in bear traps or having your fingers sandwiched between two pieces of steel, the box anchor is for you. I've owned the same Fortress aluminum anchor for over 15 years and its never let loose.

sintax

Reaction score
Remember to get good nylon anchor rope. My $40 special from Amazon is already falling apart and kinking after 1 use lol

Hit up Spankys for ropes, if they don’t got it on the shelf, they’ll make it for you on the spot.

You’ll pay a bit more, but they are top quality and use stainless hardware

Jay Dub

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I boat in Havasu and just north of there on the river a bit. We often stop at the sandbar and that’s why I’m asking the question. It’s may too much for the tiny anchor I originally bought on Amazon before I bought the boat. I knew this up front; just kind of procrastinated a bit on buying the right one
We have a box anchor and two of their slide anchors. We also frequent the river area north of the lake. We generally just use one (or both) of the slide anchors. I would suggest getting their danik hooks as well. Makes adjusting the line a breeze.

707dog

Reaction score
I have a large box anchor, storage bag and long nylon line, might have some chain to. $120 and its yours.
Not stepping on anyone's toes but where can I pick this up at? I'm at the nautical

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Box for sure, but remember the secret is set the anchor with 2 times the line per the depth. 25' depth requires 50' of line after the anchor hits the bottom.
Other style anchors require 4 to 1,
Boat won't go anywhere....

Rule offshore is 7:1...

You want the angle of the dangle to be longer.
Always love seeing people put out 10ft of rope in 10ft of water, and wonder why their anchor doesn't work.

oldschool

Reaction score
Anchor Buddy is another great product. I’ve been using one for years, if you day camp at all it can make getting in and out of the boat easier.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Anchor Buddy is another great product. I’ve been using one for years, if you day camp at all it can make getting in and out of the boat easier.
Yes ^^^ on the anchor and a regular line on the spike. Send boat a float no worry about kids etc that way, then pull in with your Slide Hook (same as Danik but it’s now owned by Slide Anchor and renamed)

franky

Reaction score
Connellys in Havasu has two nice spikes $75 es.
08E2EFE5-7742-4490-9735-2EDDD5883889.jpeg

Qwiketz

Reaction score
Thanks. For the info guys.

franky, thanks for the offer. I didn’t respond due to not knowing when we’re going to be in town next. We normally stay in bullhead and travel south.

anyone havea box anchor sitting around in oc? If not I may end up ordering from the slide anchor co. Next time we’re in Havasu to stay is next month. If not I’ll stop by the shop then

81Sprint

Reaction score
Yes ^^^ on the anchor and a regular line on the spike. Send boat a float no worry about kids etc that way, then pull in with your Slide Hook (same as Danik but it’s now owned by Slide Anchor and renamed)
Exactly what i do, works great

Qwiketz

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Grabbed a large box anchor locally and already have the shore spike. Ordering an anchor buddy next.

Are you guys using the 7’ or the 14’? I’m mostly on the river north of Havasu in shallow river. Lot of sand bar or some of the coves.

And I’m going to grab some of the sliding hooks. Look great

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
I've got a 7' red Anchor Buddy sitting on the shelf in garage. Don't need it with the toon. $20.00 In Havasu

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Grabbed a large box anchor locally and already have the shore spike. Ordering an anchor buddy next.

Are you guys using the 7’ or the 14’? I’m mostly on the river north of Havasu in shallow river. Lot of sand bar or some of the coves.

And I’m going to grab some of the sliding hooks. Look great
Go 14, they stretch but you also want it to reach the bottom of the river.