WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

BRAD Surfboards!

Zeke27G

Reaction score
EBE45235-BB74-4102-8152-B562AC237878.jpeg
8E272798-3F78-4E51-8BC9-9B6656521197.jpeg
79F93B2B-D3F0-4630-AF7E-95E5FF93131B.jpeg
6DC3F8DC-48D8-4DC2-BCAE-4C85E4630EA1.jpeg

As a kid, my Pops and his friends used to frequent BRAD’s in Bellflower, and eventually BRAD’s would move to Artesia where they continued to buy rope to make their barefoot lines as well as water skis, life jackets and such. Until about a month ago, I was unaware that Brad started out shaping surfboards in Manhattan Beach. A friend and serious vintage surfboard collector who knew I was fan of BRAD and had collected a few of his skis shared a board he had found on Craigslist with me. A bitchin’ 10’2” longboard with redwood stringers, a red comp stripe and a Hynson style red fin. Unfortunately for me, the seller’s wife decided they should keep it to hang on the wall in their cabin. Damn it!!

Then a few weeks later I come across this 9’9” BRAD in the Santa Barbara area. I was out of the country and figured it would be gone before I returned, but luckily this seller realized that I was a true fan of BRAD and he said he’d hang onto it for me and bring it with him when he was going to be in my area again.

The story goes that he discovered it in the rafters while helping clean out the lifeguard headquarters at Refugio Beach a few years ago. Apparently it hadn’t been left there for some 30 odd years! A true barn find and it’s definitely early-mid 60’s era.

Anyhow, the owner and I talked for a bit and finally settled on a fair price for the both of us and I plan to get it back in the water as soon as possible!!

So stoked!

Here’s some photos of the BRAD longboard and a photo of my favorite BRAD square tail ski.

If anyone has any BRAD history to share, please do!

Cheers!,

Zeke

Last edited:

old rigger

Reaction score
That is awesome info! Never knew that about him. Still have my Brad from 71-2 ish. It’s my 2nd one, first he took back in trade. Also have an old T shirt and biz card from the same time.
A friend of mine is the person who taught Brad how to bend, clamp and shape his skis. He was a pretty well know wood guy in paramount back in the day and at one time had a woodie restoration shop too. He taught Doug Carr on signal hill how to work with wood to open his woodie shop, wooden carr.
Wonder how many boards Brad made?

dave29

Reaction score
Got to love those tail blocks!!!