WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Brakes - Input Needed

C-2

Reaction score
In the past, I've changed between 30-35 sets of brakes on vehicles I own. Brakes, rotors, calipers, hub assemblies, the usual stuff. But, I have never worked on wifey's Honda because well, you know how that goes.

A couple of weeks ago we had the brakes done in her car at the local shop. We get the car back and after arriving home I saw the rear rotors were still slightly scarred, and I thought WTF, they didn't turn them? They turned the fronts, but not the rears.

Then, the brakes started making a grinding sound like...worn brakes. I immediately thought they overlooked the rears and that's where the sound was coming from; the shop got real defensive and said you didn't pay for rear brakes to be done. Fair enough, not happy about that part of it, but that's a different story.

Mechanic says the pads have a film on them causing the grinding noise when hot. But, the mechanic ground the pad down, so everything should be good.

I'm thinking, yeah sure.

Now the grinding sound has returned.

Is there any merit to what the mechanic is saying, that the pad is the problem?

While I somewhat suspect the pads are the problem, I'm thinking it sounds more like crappy pads.

Thanks for any input and help you guys may be able to provide. :)

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I didn't want to be blamed if they started making noise... Now I'm being takes with handling it :eek::rolleyes:

Centric Parts Brake tech guy here....

What part numbers are referenced on your invoice? What shop did the work (name and address)?

C-2

Reaction score
Were OEM parts used?

We previously had the same place change the brakes about 2-years ago. That job was fine.

6-months ago we took it in and they said you still have another 3-4 months before they need to be done. I though cool, they're honest. Rotors can still be turned, not replaced.

To answer your question - not sure what pads they put in, rotors were turned. Keep in mind, the previous job they did was fine.

C-2

Reaction score
Centric Parts Brake tech guy here....

What part numbers are referenced on your invoice? What shop did the work (name and address)?

Let me check, thanks.

Edit:

Part # NON-INV PT
Front brake pads 17-1654

E cono F irestone
7445 Arlington Avenue Riverside 92503

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Did you get them to do a test drive?

Reactions: C-2

lbhsbz

Reaction score
E cono F irestone?

Yooor smarter than that.

Those pads are OK, budget stuff, not great. They evidently didn't touch the rears.

I'll find you a better shop in the AM when I'm at the office.

4Waters

Reaction score
We previously had the same place change the brakes about 2-years ago. That job was fine.

6-months ago we took it in and they said you still have another 3-4 months before they need to be done. I though cool, they're honest. Rotors can still be turned, not replaced.

To answer your question - not sure what pads they put in, rotors were turned. Keep in mind, the previous job they did was fine.
They can change suppliers in 2 years, regardless if they make noise that should stand behind the parts and warranty them.

C-2

Reaction score
Did you get them to do a test drive?

Yes, they agreed the noise was there and said specifically the grinding was coming from the right front.

I was pissed because the rear brakes were not discussed after the tech called me after the initial brake inspection/estimate.; so I thought they were being done. Like I said before, they got really defensive when I told them I would have gladly paid for the rears to be done had it been discussed; but the tech did not say anything about them. The previous job included front and rears, it is my fault for mistakenly assuming the same would be done.

C-2

Reaction score
They can change suppliers in 2 years, regardless if they make noise that should stand behind the parts and warranty them.

that's what I'm thinking.

A while back I put some *high end* ceramic pads on my MBZ with Brembo rotors and the rotors hated them, or vice-versa. Made the same grinding noise so I want back to...wait for it..OEM.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Are rotors still turned?
I do the brakes on my bimmer. Probably done each axle 4-5 times now (230,000 on the car). Always get new rotors with ceramic pads and sensor. Less than 200 bucks delivered.

C-2

Reaction score
E cono F irestone?

Yooor smarter than that.

Those pads are OK, budget stuff, not great. They evidently didn't touch the rears.

I'll find you a better shop in the AM when I'm at the office.

Thanks for the info. The place has been there for 40+ years I'm aware of, and the old codger said he stands behind his work; so we'll see what happens.

C-2

Reaction score
Are rotors still turned?
I do the brakes on my bimmer. Probably done each axle 4-5 times now (230,000 on the car). Always get new rotors with ceramic pads and sensor. Less than 200 bucks delivered.

I too change out to new rotors on my Infiniti, Mercedes and my Excursion.

Wife's car goes to the mechanic, who said they still had some life on them and they could be turned.

4Waters

Reaction score
Yes, they agreed the noise was there and said specifically the grinding was coming from the right front.

I was pissed because the rear brakes were not discussed after the tech called me after the initial brake inspection/estimate.; so I thought they were being done. Like I said before, they got really defensive when I told them I would have gladly paid for the rears to be done had it been discussed; but the tech did not say anything about them. The previous job included front and rears, it is my fault for mistakenly assuming the same would be done.
Only the right front, do you ONLY hear it when the brakes are applied or is it louder when the brakes are applied, if you can hear some (faint) grinding without the brakes being applied then it might be the wheel bearing.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
You never know what you're going to get unless you specifically ask for OEM.

I took my wife’s 350z to Anderson Nissan in Havasu for front brakes, they put on new rotors and pads. damn Rotors are already rusty . I would have thought Nissan would put on decent parts.

C-2

Reaction score
Only the right front, do you ONLY hear it when the brakes are applied or is it louder when the brakes are applied, if you can hear some (faint) grinding without the brakes being applied then it might be the wheel bearing.

Right front was their diagnosis after they test drove it.

I'm familiar with wheel bearing issues; I just replaced hub assemblies on the Infiniti after the front wheel bearings went out, so i don't think it's an issue; at least, not yet.

C-2

Reaction score
regardless if they make noise that should stand behind the parts and warranty them.

I agree, that's the bottom line. So we'll resolve this issue with them and then move on; lesson learned.

Thanks for your willingness to help :)

Your ad here

Reaction score
Are rotors still turned?
I turn mine on my F350 and F250. Even have a shelved rear set ready to install. Working on getting a front set. I'll keep turning them till I run out of material.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Did you check the rears? On some cars the rears go fast.

My wife’s car and my Jag were like that. Replace the rears twice to the fronts once

lbhsbz

Reaction score
You never know what you're going to get unless you specifically ask for OEM.

I took my wife’s 350z to Anderson Nissan in Havasu for front brakes, they put on new rotors and pads. damn Rotors are already rusty . I would have thought Nissan would put on decent parts.

Rotors are made of cast iron. They’ll all rust where there’s no coating.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

My wife’s car and my Jag were like that. Replace the rears twice to the fronts once

For quite some time, I think European cars used softer pads in the rear. You could see the evidence, the rear wheels were always dirtier.

Both of our E46 were like this.

I haven’t noticed this as much lately on newer cars, tho.

Would love to have one of our resident brake experts confirm or deny this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RCDave

Reaction score

The Honda's and Acura's Ive owned are the same. I think its because the rear pads and rotors are smaller than the front. Less pad size equals faster wear

lbhsbz

Reaction score
that's what I'm thinking.

A while back I put some *high end* ceramic pads on my MBZ with Brembo rotors and the rotors hated them, or vice-versa. Made the same grinding noise so I want back to...wait for it..OEM.

That is simply a mismatched combination. Euro vehicles (up until the last couple years) use an abrasive friction material along with a softer iron rotor...this combination is usually quiet and performs very well. Brembo aftermarket rotors are no different than other aftermarket rotors...mostly chinese, and the ceramic pad you used was likely of a formula more suitable to an asian or domestic vehicle...different braking systems all together.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
For quite some time, I think European cars used softer pads in the rear. You could see the evidence, the rear wheels were always dirtier.

Both of our E46 were like this.

I haven’t noticed this as much lately on newer cars, tho.

Would love to have one of our resident brake experts confirm or deny this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not softer necessarily. We're seeing a lot more rear wear and uneven wear in very late model vehicles due to the more advanced lane departure/traction control/stability control systems. These systems use the brakes almost as much as you do in some cases, without you knowing it's happening.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I have gotten really good at changing rear brakes. ;):D

I just picked up a POS 04 Accord for my kid. Did the fronts recently. Holy smokes the rears were small pads and rotors.(same thing for the infiniti) So cute and tiny. I might keep an extra set of pads in stock for the Accord just in case. I showed him how to change them himself.

Incidentally I have gotten really good at changing front Brembo brake for an entirely different reason if you catch my drift. :cool::D

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I can attest that this happens. I am a brake and traction control tester in my spare time. :p

I buy brake pads by the truckload.

Did you know you can overheat the rear brakes and rear end if you drive fast enough (i.e. on the track) with the DSC on? I found out the hard way. :D:cool:

If you take turn 6 at Sonoma at speed it is advisable to turn the DSC off. Wish I would have known that..... LOL

Not softer necessarily. We're seeing a lot more rear wear and uneven wear in very late model vehicles due to the more advanced lane departure/traction control/stability control systems. These systems use the brakes almost as much as you do in some cases, without you knowing it's happening.

The DSC works to keep the car under control by braking individual wheels depending on what you are doing. If it feels you are driving the car with too much spirit it drags the rear brakes to slow your roll. Competition modes slows this somewhat but that varies by car.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score

our infiniti abuses the rear pads with the lane departure stuff. i ended up just turning it off. ive had rear brakes last forever and that damn car went through em in less than 50k. also ended up swapping the front and rear oem pads to aftermarket as the squealing in drive thru's, etc was horrible.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I'm just trying to wrap by head around 2 years out of a brake job. Is she an indy driver in her Honda? :D

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I'm just trying to wrap by head around 2 years out of a brake job. Is she an indy driver in her Honda? :D

You wouldn't believe the amount of calls we get for brake pads/rotor for cars less than a 1 year old. It's getting worse. So far this year, we've gone through over 160 sets of rear pads for 2018 accords.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
You wouldn't believe the amount of calls we get for brake pads/rotor for cars less than a 1 year old. It's getting worse. So far this year, we've gone through over 160 sets of rear pads for 2018 accords.
:eek:

C-2

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses guys.

lbhsbz I'll give you a jingle tomorrow; I am interested in your feedback.