WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bravo 1 impeller on hardin marine stainless housing question

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Is the rubber impeller on a bravo 1 Hardin Marine Stainless Steel unit the same as the stock mercury impeller? It looks like it is, but Hardin sells their own kit for it. Anyone know? See pics below for reference.

625-4178.jpg

83a644a9-b8c2-4732-9ee1-428ae9cc02f5-m.jpg

CJwKw66XAAAPqBR.png

unnamed.jpg

0_Chloe-Ferry.jpg

zx257ugxc2bz.jpg

22656005.jpg

159063075320694-sq-md.jpg

Icky

Reaction score
Yes, or at least that's what I use on mine😁. I cracked 2 of the plastic housings tightening the bolts before I was over it and bought the stainless one.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
I believe it is, but since the Hardin Marine kit comes with the stainless plates and costs about the same as a Mercruiser impeller kit, I just buy it from Hardin.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I believe it is, but since the Hardin Marine kit comes with the stainless plates and costs about the same as a Mercruiser impeller kit, I just buy it from Hardin.

Yep, Hardin's kit is a good value. 👍

shunter2005

Reaction score
Least expensive Hardin kit I found.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Least expensive Hardin kit I found.

Keep in mind Hardin now has 2 versions of the pump. The Gen2 has a different rebuild kit.

I have a spare impeller in the garage too, the Quicksilver impeller only is around $20

I bought the Hardin kit this year. This is the first time I will be rebuilding it. Interested to see how worn the wear plates are.
I have a spare impeller in the garage too, the Quicksilver impeller only is around $20

Reactions: TPC

Icky

Reaction score
Am I the only one that keeps a spare impeller in the boat?

shunter2005

Reaction score
Keep in mind Hardin now has 2 versions of the pump. The Gen2 has a different rebuild kit.

I bought the Hardin kit this year. This is the first time I will be rebuilding it. Interested to see how worn the wear plates are.
There was zero wear on the SS wear plate when I changed it. Granted, it didn't have a lot of hours on it, but I could have used it again with no worries.
Yep, you are exactly right. Gen 4 Rev 1 kit is needed if you have a drain hole in the bottom of the SS housing. (625-4179). Gen 4 Rev 2, if no drain hole (625-4189). Don't think they make the Rev 1 SS sea pump anymore, at least it's not on their website that I know of. Every one I have seen is the newer Rev 2 version.

No need for me to carry one in the boat. I can't hardly get to the damn pump on land, so if I need one on the water, I am calling Towboats US, will drink a beer on the tow rope and worry about it later.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
There was zero wear on the SS wear plate when I changed it. Granted, it didn't have a lot of hours on it, but I could have used it again with no worries.
Yep, you are exactly right. Gen 4 Rev 1 kit is needed if you have a drain hole in the bottom of the SS housing. (625-4179). Gen 4 Rev 2, if no drain hole (625-4189). Don't think they make the Rev 1 SS sea pump anymore, at least it's not on their website that I know of. Every one I have seen is the newer Rev 2 version.

No need for me to carry one in the boat. I can't hardly get to the damn pump on land, so if I need one on the water, I am calling Towboats US, will drink a beer on the tow rope and worry about it later.

I didn’t know what to expect since this is my first time changing the impeller with the Hardin pump. If the plates look good I will leave them or flip them and keep the rebuild kit wear plates as spares.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
I was gonna order the Hardin kit but was looking at quick ship options on Amazon.

That was I thought I would "ass-k" the question

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Am I the only one that keeps a spare impeller in the boat?
I keep one in the boat and will take an hour to change it over getting a tow.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Coat the inside of the housing with glycerin during assembly for initial start up lube.
Walmart Pharmacy 4 oz $3.
yPZVftn.gif

jWyDLXt.gif

oqOKKWr.jpg

dribble

Reaction score
I didn’t know what to expect since this is my first time changing the impeller with the Hardin pump. If the plates look good I will leave them or flip them and keep the rebuild kit wear plates as spares.
My first plate stayed in through three impeller changes.

ramos45

Reaction score
As already mentioned same rubber as the regular plastic housing. I have a hardin kit for sale in the classifieds with nonHardin fittings but works just the same.