WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bravo 1 Maintenance, Gimbal Bearing

DCBEXTREME24HP

Reaction score
Im picking up my boat this weekend to get it ready for desert storm/2016 season and have a list of things to do.

This is my first boat, and i only took it out 2 times last year. Ive done all the typical maintenance before taking the boat out, engine oil/filter, outdrive oil change.

I want to take off the outdrive to check the bellows, grease the u-joints, replace o-rings and gaskets since i dont know how often, or if its ever been done.

Ive watched lots of videos and see them pick the drive up and down to see if there's slop, also how easy it is to move side to side.

here's a video on a guy replacing the gimbal bearing. [video=youtube;gLh54RGZewY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLh54RGZewY[/video]

is it as easy as he makes it seem? should i replace the bearing just because im already in there?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Im picking up my boat this weekend to get it ready for desert storm/2016 season and have a list of things to do.

This is my first boat, and i only took it out 2 times last year. Ive done all the typical maintenance before taking the boat out, engine oil/filter, outdrive oil change.

I want to take off the outdrive to check the bellows, grease the u-joints, replace o-rings and gaskets since i dont know how often, or if its ever been done.

Ive watched lots of videos and see them pick the drive up and down to see if there's slop, also how easy it is to move side to side.

here's a video on a guy replacing the gimbal bearing. [video=youtube;gLh54RGZewY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLh54RGZewY[/video]

is it as easy as he makes it seem? should i replace the bearing just because im already in there?

Usually not as easy as he makes it look. I have a nearly identical sliding hammer with a weight about the same size as that one. It works about 1 out of 3 times and that is with me absolutely wailing on it. For those stubborn ones i go borrow a weight from my buddies down the street that is about 2x heavier & bigger, it makes it much easier.

So when you put your normal slide hammer in there and it doesn't seem like it's budging, it's normal :p

Get a bigger hammer :p

(If the gimbal bearing spins nice and smooth just grease and leave it alone)

Havasu Catman

Reaction score
If the alignment is good and the bellows doesn't have water in it the gimble bearing should be fine. Gimbles don't normally go bad unless one of the mentioned things are bad. After you remove the drive and before you grease it, stick your hand in there and spin it back and forth. If it feels smooth grease it until you see the grease come out of it, turn it and grease again. I always clean the excess grease from in side the bellows before installing the drive.

Fun Times

Moderated
Reaction score
While it's almost the same concept, 'The drive in the video is an Alpha drive while yours is a Bravo drive and there are a few different steps to take vs the Alpha.

Also he should have used an mercruiser engine alignment tool to alignment the new bearing to the engine coupler plus you need/want to double check the engine alignment. Also put some Mercruiser engine coupler spline grease on the bar to grease up the engine coupler. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...e.TRS0&_nkw=mercruiser+spline+grease&_sacat=0

You'll need to buy a drive install O-ring kit like these, http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Mercruiser+Bravo+1+2+3+Drive+Install+Gasket+Kit+16755Q1

The bravo drive is about 50ish pounds heavier then the alpha.

If you do need to do a gimbal bearing then search EBay mercruiser alignment tool as many sellers offer up aftermarket tool kits at lower costs. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro....TRS0&_nkw=mercruiser+alignment+tool&_sacat=0

HST4ME

Reaction score
Get a BIG slide hammer!!!! That is the best advise I can give...

:thumbsup

and one of these

gimbaldriverb.jpg

almost all of the new bearings are "forever" bearings with no grease hole so it doesn't matter which way they go in, don't cock the fucking bearing putting it back in then take it to your mechanic and whine "what did I do?"

use a flash light and look up it's butthole to check the condition of the engine couple splines too,

disconnecting the speedo is the first thing you do

on a gen 2 alpha the drive is much easier to put on if you pull the forward ram pin too and just let the rams hang,

the only part of the shaft that needs grease is the splines, yeah they didn't show that :blah: they should be cleaned of old grease with a pick or small screw driver.

HST4ME

Reaction score
Oh, invite as many "friends" over as you can so they can get drunk and tell you how to do it. :) :drink:point

BDMar

B & D Marine
Reaction score
Just for reference, we charge $200 labor to R&R the drive and replace and align the gimbal bearing. I would guess you'll spend that in tools. Also, it does matter which direction the new perma-grease bearings go in.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Just for reference, we charge $200 labor to R&R the drive and replace and align the gimbal bearing. I would guess you'll spend that in tools. Also, it does matter which direction the new perma-grease bearings go in.

The nice part is he will have the tools for the future as well to loan out to his buddies. Your price is very good though!

BUSTI

Reaction score

If you don't call B&D for that price you are crazy. Its well worth the money. Have the bellow and shift cable done too while the drive is off. Cheap insurance.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Usually not as easy as he makes it look. I have a nearly identical sliding hammer with a weight about the same size as that one. It works about 1 out of 3 times and that is with me absolutely wailing on it. For those stubborn ones i go borrow a weight from my buddies down the street that is about 2x heavier & bigger, it makes it much easier.

So when you put your normal slide hammer in there and it doesn't seem like it's budging, it's normal :p

Get a bigger hammer :p

(If the gimbal bearing spins nice and smooth just grease and leave it alone)

Something like this :D

[video=youtube;3Qt5Ze1_Ox8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qt5Ze1_Ox8[/video]