WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bravo 3 prop question.

Aboveall1

Reaction score
Is there any benefit for having 2 different prop, eg. 28/30 on a bravo 3?
Motor is a Volvo Penta dpx 500 with mercury Bravo 3. Commander 2800 Cat
Thanks

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
There's 2 schools of thought on this. I am in the camp that says you want them to be of the same pitch especially if you spend a lot of time in higher rpms. Different pitches can cause cavitation.

I do like the new 4/3 setups (of the same pitch) that are available now. They get out of the hole quick and have good performance all through the rpm range

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Wow you have a Volvo motor mated to a bravo 3 outdrive?

That's cool!!

I would look at those 4/3 prop combos like shlbyntro said. I currently have a prop from hill marine and would recommend them again my 4x4 setup crushes the holeshot but Its on a 22' Crownline. Not a badass boat like you got. But I quick phone call or email to them may sort out some details for you.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score

That's cool!!

I would look at those 4/3 prop combos like shlbyntro said. I currently have a prop from hill marine and would recommend them again my 4x4 setup crushes the holeshot but Its on a 22' Crownline. Not a badass boat like you got. But I quick phone call or email to them may sort out some details for you.

At the shop we call those Mervo's, the other way around is a Volcruiser!

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
At the shop we call those Mervo's, the other way around is a Volcruiser!
Sounds to me like someone has trouble identifying what they want to be!! Haha I am just messing around.

What would be the benifits to a set up like that. I mean my 5.7 Merc and bravo 3 is more than impressive. I'm sure someone would say the same for a Volvo duo prop. So what gives? Anyone know?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Sounds to me like someone has trouble identifying what they want to be!! Haha I am just messing around.

What would be the benifits to a set up like that. I mean my 5.7 Merc and bravo 3 is more than impressive. I'm sure someone would say the same for a Volvo duo prop. So what gives? Anyone know?

At the end of the day for the most part, mercruiser and volvo penta are marinizing the same engines so a lot of it comes down to personal preference. (As of recently, mercruiser has been moving in the direction of producing their own big blocks whereas Volvo has focused more on high output LS platforms and diesels.)

In my opinion and experience, Mercruiser has the better engine platform. Fuel systems are more dependable and the impeller pumps are less prone to premature failure. Also their fuel mapping tends to be a bit more forgiving with old fuel and otherwise less than ideal boating conditions. Their big block also tend to be closed water cooling systems where as volvos tend to still be raw water systems.

Volvo Penta, in my opinion has the stronger drive package so long as we're talking about sx cobras, sxm, and dpsm drives. They are less prone to drive seal leaks, clutches last longer than their bravo counterparts, gimbal rings almost never wear out and with the only exception on the drive systems being the garbage steering actuators.

But mostly you will see this because somebody blew up a motor and found a good cheap takeout of the other brand, or a shop sold them a drop in crate motor of the opposite brand.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
that makes good financial sense, but sounds like a maintenance circus.

I also prefer the mercruiser platform. For me It boils down to availability of parts and a Mechanic if needed. I can not speak for volvo on this but I do know if anything happens with my engine and I can not find a boat shop with my part I can hit oriellys or autozone for GM 350 or 454 parts and get through the weekend. For me recreating at powell all the marina mechanics know mercruisers like the back of their hand and usually have the part you need available for the right amount of cash. if your kind enough and make friends with them they may even give your their phone number and they can help you trouble shoot your boat over the phone.

Shlbyntro do you work on boats for a living?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
that makes good financial sense, but sounds like a maintenance circus.

I also prefer the mercruiser platform. For me It boils down to availability of parts and a Mechanic if needed. I can not speak for volvo on this but I do know if anything happens with my engine and I can not find a boat shop with my part I can hit oriellys or autozone for GM 350 or 454 parts and get through the weekend. For me recreating at powell all the marina mechanics know mercruisers like the back of their hand and usually have the part you need available for the right amount of cash. if your kind enough and make friends with them they may even give your their phone number and they can help you trouble shoot your boat over the phone.

Shlbyntro do you work on boats for a living?

I do. mostly on larger gas powered cruisers but I still enjoy working on regular boats too

Aboveall1

Reaction score

That's cool!!

Would you happen to have Hill marines number or location for me to look them up? Thanks