WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bravo 3 with 24 pitch

ILSMKU

Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently purchased a 2008 magic scepter wake board edition boat. It has a 490HO with the bravo 3 and two 24pitch propellers. While this setup literally rockets me out of the water my top speed is like 50-55 at 5000rpm!!! :eek

Cruising around 40-45mph is roughly 4200-4500rpm. The engine RPM's are just too high for my likening. Someone suggested I try a 26 pitch setup, but was later told that would probably only just lower my RPM's about 300.

Then someone else mentioned I try a 28 pitch, but Ive had numerous people tell me a 28 might be too high.

What do you guys think? Any other bravo 3 guys out there?

Thanks!

chvynhra

Reaction score
I switched from 26 to 28 on my 22' Essex and gained about 5 m.p.h. I don't bounce off the rev limiter anymore, went from 60 to 65 mph at 4800 RPM with about 400 rpm difference cruising. I haven't wake boarded behind it yet but it still comes out of the hole good. I also run a lot more trim now, the whole boat feels higher out of the water at all speeds. I guess the new props gave it more transom lift?

Do you have a bravo3 or bravoXR3? if you just have the regular you can try my 26s and if you like them you can buy them off me. They are just sitting in my garage.

DragDad

Reaction score
Im running a 25 Solas on the Vector with a 515 CI BBC. Ran a 24 once to try it and lost 5-7 mph top end. (I run about 74 mph on the GPS with the 25).
Try a stock 26. Borrow one first.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
See if this helps you figure it out.

Dial in the prop you have now and get the slip rate....then you should be able to make some decisions on what to try.....but like everything you'll need to do it in a real world environment but this may at least get you closer at the start.

http://www.rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm

Joepump

Reaction score
Not sure if you're going to get much more with the Bravo 3. If most of your boating is going to be pulling people, keep the Bravo 3. If you're looking for more performance, gotta get a Bravo 1.

ILSMKU

Reaction score
I switched from 26 to 28 on my 22' Essex and gained about 5 m.p.h. I don't bounce off the rev limiter anymore, went from 60 to 65 mph at 4800 RPM with about 400 rpm difference cruising. I haven't wake boarded behind it yet but it still comes out of the hole good. I also run a lot more trim now, the whole boat feels higher out of the water at all speeds. I guess the new props gave it more transom lift?

Do you have a bravo3 or bravoXR3? if you just have the regular you can try my 26s and if you like them you can buy them off me. They are just sitting in my garage.

Hey thanks for the offer! Thats really kind of you. I have the normal bravo 3. Id really like to drop my RPMS a little more than 400 if I can.

Im running a 25 Solas on the Vector with a 515 CI BBC. Ran a 24 once to try it and lost 5-7 mph top end. (I run about 74 mph on the GPS with the 25).
Try a stock 26. Borrow one first.
Maybe I will try Chvynhra's then!

See if this helps you figure it out.

Dial in the prop you have now and get the slip rate....then you should be able to make some decisions on what to try.....but like everything you'll need to do it in a real world environment but this may at least get you closer at the start.

http://www.rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm

Thanks for the link. I input what I knew my boat would do at what RPM and speed and it told me my slip rate. But what does that mean to me?

Not sure if you're going to get much more with the Bravo 3. If most of your boating is going to be pulling people, keep the Bravo 3. If you're looking for more performance, gotta get a Bravo 1.

I keep hearing this... I dont mind the bravo 3 other than my RPMS being too high. Cruising 45mph is 4500 rpm! I want 45 to be like 3500. To do 50-55mph Im at 5000 rpm. I feel like a car stuck in 2nd gear going 80 on the highway!

ILSMKU

Reaction score
Any clue what a 28 pitch might drop my RPMs too?

And at what point is the bravo 1 a better choice?

Does anyone on here have a magic deck or scepter wake board edition? I cant be the only one???

Is there a cross over point between the bravo 1 and bravo 3? Meaning will a bravo 3 with a 28 pitch run like a bravo 1 with a 24 pitch?

BajaMike

Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently purchased a 2008 magic scepter wake board edition boat. It has a 490HO with the bravo 3 and two 24pitch propellers. While this setup literally rockets me out of the water my top speed is like 50-55 at 5000rpm!!! :eek

Cruising around 40-45mph is roughly 4200-4500rpm. The engine RPM's are just too high for my likening. Someone suggested I try a 26 pitch setup, but was later told that would probably only just lower my RPM's about 300.

Then someone else mentioned I try a 28 pitch, but Ive had numerous people tell me a 28 might be too high.

What do you guys think? Any other bravo 3 guys out there?

Thanks!

I think you have the perfect setup.....leave it alone. If you can " literally rockets me out of the water my top speed is like 50-55 at 5000rpm!!! "...you are doing fine.

The best "RPM control" is the captain of the boat. So many people on here can't get their boat to the rated RPM redline. Many people chase speed and over prop their boats....and wonder why they bust cranks and have to do major overhauls after 100 or 200 hours.

Leave it alone....you boat is propped perfect.

And forget about changing to a Bravo 1.....spend thousands of dollars when you have a good setup???? Makes no sense.

I bet you can fill the tanks with gas, fill the cooler with ice and beer and fill the seats with friends, and go boating and skiing all day long. What is better than that?? With a higher pitched prop you can't do any of this.

ILSMKU

Reaction score
I think you have the perfect setup.....leave it alone. If you can " literally rockets me out of the water my top speed is like 50-55 at 5000rpm!!! "...you are doing fine.

The best "RPM control" is the captain of the boat. So many people on here can't get their boat to the rated RPM redline. Many people chase speed and over prop their boats....and wonder why they bust cranks and have to do major overhauls after 100 or 200 hours.

Leave it alone....you boat is propped perfect.

And forget about changing to a Bravo 1.....spend thousands of dollars when you have a good setup???? Makes no sense.

I understand you're point, but it's only great for wake boarding. And yes I realize I have a "wake board edition" boat. But I'd be ok sacrificing some hole shot if that meant I could drop cruising speed RPM down. It's a big lake and going from one are to another at 40-45 with my engine at 4000-4500 RPMs seems excessively high to me.

I don't like revving my engine this high is what it boils down too.

BajaMike

Reaction score
My thinking is high RPMs are good. Run around at 4000 RPMs and your engine is happy....probably go 1000 to 2000 hours before an overhaul. Over prop it and cruise at 3000 RPMs and you are going to be overhauling at 500 hours or less.

You have one of the best marine engines ever built. I would enjoy it and cruise at 3500 RPMs with the current setup and it will run for 10 or 20 years.....whats the hurry.....you're on the water??

Good luck, man!

Joepump

Reaction score
At 5000 rpm, that's real close to where you wont to be.The bravo 3 was built for holeshot, not topend. I would'nt go higher in pitch, but take a little out of your current props and try to squeeze another 300-400 rpm's out of them. You might be able to get closer to 60mph.

chvynhra

Reaction score
Are you hitting the Rev limiter now? Mine is a low 4800, what is it for a h.o.?

ILSMKU

Reaction score
My thinking is high RPMs are good. Run around at 4000 RPMs and your engine is happy....probably go 1000 to 2000 hours before an overhaul. Over prop it and cruise at 3000 RPMs and you are going to be overhauling at 500 hours or less.

You have one of the best marine engines ever built. I would enjoy it and cruise at 3500 RPMs with the current setup and it will run for 10 or 20 years.....whats the hurry.....you're on the water??

Good luck, man!

Thanks for the note. I guess Im looking at this like a car. My thinking was if its reving higher its working harder, thus wearing down faster and burning more fuel. Im not trying to lower it to the point like a car taking off in 6th gear from a red light.

What's your slip number?

It was L11 I think. Why? EDIT: ROFL... I thought you meant my slip number at the marina...ROFL.

At 5000 rpm, that's real close to where you wont to be.The bravo 3 was built for holeshot, not topend. I would'nt go higher in pitch, but take a little out of your current props and try to squeeze another 300-400 rpm's out of them. You might be able to get closer to 60mph.

I smack redline at 1/2 throttle every time. Ive hit 57mph with a family of 4 onboard.

Are you hitting the Rev limiter now? Mine is a low 4800, what is it for a h.o.?
HO is 5150 and I can hit it every single time I try. Anything pass 1/2 throttle will get me to redline no problem.

hallett21

Reaction score
Someone more qualified than me can probably help you more but slip is a percentage. It measures the " efficiency" of your propeller. So lower % means for every time the prop turns the more forward movement you achieve. A higher slip number means the prop is spinning more freely without the forward movement. I'm not sure on the "perfect slip" number but if you were spinning at say 40% I'd say you need to lower it. Not saying that's the case but good to look at all options. As someone before said you may want to talk to a prop shop about re working your prop so that you get more bite out the prop this lowering your rpm.

hallett21

Reaction score
Also are your speed numbers gps or speedo gauge?

BajaMike

Reaction score
I think you have a good setup. When you are close to redline.....try trimming your drive up. Your speed will increase a lot. Trim up at speed...trim down when you slow down or turn.

Have fun!

I'm sitting here in Palm Desert looking at my pool wishing I had your problems! J/k.

ILSMKU

Reaction score
I think you have a good setup. When you are close to redline.....try trimming your drive up. Your speed will increase a lot. Trim up at speed...trim down when you slow down or turn.

Have fun!

I'm sitting here in Palm Desert looking at my pool wishing I had your problems! J/k.

It does its job very well. No doubt. But I wouldn't mind just a small drop in RPMs. I might try a 26 just for shits and giggles. I've had a couple offered me to me try out. If its not a fit, I will go right back to slow but snappy!

In the mean time Arron at absolute is changing my exhaust from the outdrive to through the transom and I CANT WAIT to hear my baby rumble! Finally I TOO can rev it like a man under the bridge! LOL. j/k. But i do look forward to hearing my motor!

Joepump

Reaction score
Didn't know you were hitting the rev limit at half throttle. The 26's may be the ticket. You may even notice a difference with the new exhaust.

hallett21

Reaction score
Does your boat have two three blades or is the front a four blade and the rear a three blade? I remember reading on here somewhere that people were getting improved performance with the 4/3 blade combo. Might be something to try.

ILSMKU

Reaction score
Does your boat have two three blades or is the front a four blade and the rear a three blade? I remember reading on here somewhere that people were getting improved performance with the 4/3 blade combo. Might be something to try.

You know what...I read that somewhere recently too and a shop in town has one of those setups they would be willing to let me try. So I might just do that here shortly. Thanks!

ILSMKU

Reaction score
Update:

Im over the bravo 3. The wake tower is coming off and I want the bravo 3 replaced with a bravo 1 or xr. I have two friends with 496HO and bravo 1's doing 60-65mph. One of them is a sleek 28ft and the other is a 28ft nordic heat. They both report similar cruising RPMs and top speed RPMs. They both plane around 6 seconds. It takes me about a little less than 6 seconds to plane. Doing 5100rpms to barley hit 50mph is lame too. My hole shot is not THAT much better than guys with bravo 1's IMO.

Now that Ive run the lake one side to the other, I know I want more top speed. It seems not even going to a 28 pitch bravo 3 prop setup can help me enough either. So what once was a wake board edition is going back to its normal bravo 1 setup.

hallett21

Reaction score
Did you get a chance to run any other props? Going to the B1 will definitely get you moving a lot faster. Keep the thread updated!

ILSMKU

Reaction score
No not yet. But I continue to be told they will not help me as much as the bravo 1 will.

I'm being told a 26pitch will only drop 200-400 rpm and 2-5mph increase. I'm looking for 10-15mph. I thought why not try a 28pitch then, but can't find one and I'm being told that they will be too big! Why?

Yet bravo 1 and 496ho on similar boats are seeing 60-65mph at much less rpm. My brothers 28ft sleek does.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Bravo 1 is going to be a huge cost. Bravo 3 has its advantages...good hole shot and perfect control at slow speed and backing up. Good Luck!

ILSMKU

Reaction score
Bravo 1 is going to be a huge cost. Bravo 3 has its advantages...good hole shot and perfect control at slow speed and backing up. Good Luck!

I know it does. But the high reving and slow speed are just not working for how I want to use my boat. Seems the only way to get a bravo 3 drive going 60-65mph is by having a 650hp engine. I can get a bravo 1 lower used for a couple grand. I was to that it will bolt right up. Well see... I just hate that my boat is so dam slow. Going 50mph leaves me nothing. That's maxed out. So in mild chop I'm forced to go 40-45 so I have some acceleration left to power thru when needed.

If I was only wake boarding, on a smaller lake, it would be ok I guess. But it's just not a fit for me.

ILSMKU

Reaction score
Update:

THe prop shop had a 26 pitch 4X3 dual prop setup by Solance (I think? sp?) that I tried out. WOW, those made a huge difference over my stock 24 pitch 3X3 props. I dropped about 600 RPM but I can still easily hit redline!!! I literally plane in 4 seconds flat even with the 26 pitch and my stock 496HO. I gained about 5MPH and I can still pull people out of the water no problem at all.

I love this new setup but Im left wondering what a 27 or 28 pitch would do for me. I mean I can literally plane in 4 seconds have no issues pulling people out of the water and easily hit redline still! For now Im happy, but if I come across a set I might try them.