WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bravo Back Pressure

3RiverBums

Reaction score
I have a Bravo 1 that the last 2 trips has pushed back all it's gear oil out the reseroir and covered the inside of my engine compartment. I refill and it just keeps doing it.

Any suggestions as to why it would start doing this?

On another note.... cleaning this up sucks!

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Start with the simplest thing. Make sure you have the rubber oring in the reservoir cap. If you don't, when the oil gets hot and expands the cap will not hold pressure.

Trash

Reaction score
Start with the simplest thing. Make sure you have the rubber oring in the reservoir cap. If you don't, when the oil gets hot and expands the cap will not hold pressure.

After a repower/rebuild I was spinning my Bravo 1 at RPMs heretofore unseen and coating a small portion of the bilge in blue/green OD lube. The OD lube cap had the small orange rubber check valve missing. Bought a new cap and the problem has gone away.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I thought the caps were vented?

RD

kiethco

Reaction score
Cost of an outdrive, 3k. Cost of an outdrive service, 200.00.
Something this serious, I'd take it in.

minijeep

Reaction score
were you the last one to service the outdrive? If so how did you fill it? if you didn't fill it from the bottom while venting, I would think that you have an air pocket in the outdrive.

If not, is it leaking while out of the water?

relaxalot

Reaction score
Second that on the outdrive cap. Buy a new one! If it still does it you have bigger problems. I am betting on the cap. They go bad

Reaction score
I have a Bravo 1 that the last 2 trips has pushed back all it's gear oil out the reseroir and covered the inside of my engine compartment. I refill and it just keeps doing it.

Any suggestions as to why it would start doing this?

On another note.... cleaning this up sucks!
you could have a bearing going out heat builds pressure. Are you sure it's coming out of the resevoir and not through the input shaft bellows could be a front seal seen allot of those it also could be where the hose couples to the inner transom assembly.I've even seen a bad shift shaft seal and the oil was pushed up the shift cable into the engine compartment good luck with your problem

MalibuKen

Rockstar Rocks!
Reaction score
Second that on the outdrive cap. Buy a new one! If it still does it you have bigger problems. I am betting on the cap. They go bad

Third that. Had the same spewing issue. Replaced cap, all fixed. Orange vent thingy was not working right.

Sent from Tapakeg

Trash

Reaction score
If the fluid is found near the reservoir the first and cheapest fix is the cap. That orange check valve insert is important. If the $9 cap doesn't fix it then it's time to change the fluid in the correct manner. If that doesn't work then you have deeper problems.