WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bravo Shift Cable Adjustment

Big Chorizo

Reaction score
F9A2C7E0-542F-474A-AA75-1F66100C79C2.jpeg
So before I screw something up I figured I would ask. I’m having a bit of shift delay into reverse and I’m thinking I would try and adjust the cable a little so I can rule out it being a cable issue. Boat only has 160 hours so I’m hoping it’s not the cone clutch.

Per the picture, can I just adjust the top cable out so it gives more throw towards reverse? I was reading somewhere it requires a special alignment tool?

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
Go talk to max machine works, it might not be a adjustment, cone clutch ware made mine ingage delayed. But it was delayed into forward too.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
View attachment 652888 So before I screw something up I figured I would ask. I’m having a bit of shift delay into reverse and I’m thinking I would try and adjust the cable a little so I can rule out it being a cable issue. Boat only has 160 hours so I’m hoping it’s not the cone clutch.

Per the picture, can I just adjust the top cable out so it gives more throw towards reverse? I was reading somewhere it requires a special alignment tool?

You can remove to top one give it a 1/2 or 1 turn at a time till it engages fully. But if it’s not been touched then all of a sudden you have this issue I’d say it’s not the cable adjustment. I just can’t see that cable getting worn out before the throttle cable

Big Chorizo

Reaction score
You can remove to top one give it a 1/2 or 1 turn at a time till it engages fully. But if it’s not been touched then all of a sudden you have this issue I’d say it’s not the cable adjustment. I just can’t see that cable getting worn out before the throttle cable

I’ll give it a try, just trying to rule out the obvious before I take it somewhere. It only seems to do it when it’s hot so I’m thinking it’s most likely clutch related. I’m hoping I can nurse it through at Havasu next weekend. My appointment at the shop isn’t until the 18th.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I’ll give it a try, just trying to rule out the obvious before I take it somewhere. It only seems to do it when it’s hot so I’m thinking it’s most likely clutch related. I’m hoping I can nurse it through at Havasu next weekend. My appointment at the shop isn’t until the 18th.
Did you ever get it figured out? Was it the cable or something worse?

Big Chorizo

Reaction score
Ended up just being out of adjustment, wasn’t engaging all the way. I stuck it in neutral and poped the cable off. The shifting linkage sprung back into it’s neutral position. From there the cable needed a few turns to meet back up. It’s been fine every since.