WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Brick shit house

rightytighty

Reaction score
Ok - so I’m ready to be converted to The Church( I think).

Kids are grown and if I’m honest, the rate of work/play for inboards is getting tougher to swallow with modern OB’s being what they are (and all you F’rs posting 100 mile runs isn’t helping...)

I lean towards smaller boats(24 is big to me) Big water isn’t a concern. We are houseboaters. If the water sux, We just play cards and drink. Mornings /evening runs etc are just fine.

The Liberator threads recently keep catching my day dreams.. I’ve gone so crazy as to spend a few hours watching Mercury videos trying to figure out differences between 300/350/400/450. My simplicity preference leans toward the V8 line. (But I can be swayed-easily) . The price point of the liberator is doable for me.
As far as boats go- I prefer rock solid / brick shit house build vs potato chip. ( Hallett / Lavey/ Mandela etc —inboard lingo). Not chasing glory numbers. I’ll be thrilled with 100 mph in the summer mornings with 2 people. The only item I’m dead set on is a foot throttle.
So if you were looking with my criteria- what would it be?

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
I’d say you have some decent options depending upon budget.

I don’t think anyone is going to beat Wildman (Randy Corson) on price with his “Liberators of Florida” boats. They’re not potato chips and they’re not brick sh!thouses either. They run and are nice looking. They’re also about a 30 year old bottom that was great for its time.

The 22 KMG Phantom is the old DCB Mach22 mold, and Kevin has built them with 400R and 450R power. I know the 400R boat ran 107 with 1 person, I don’t recall what @Tony DCB Boats said it ran with the 450R but I wanna say 113?

The 255 Eliminator Speedster fits your brick sh!thouse definition, but has run 90+ with a single 400R. I certainly think it’s capable of about 95 with some more setup, but you’re going to need a 450R to get over 100 with a single.

The 22 Cougar mold is being refurbished somewhere near Chicago, but health issues with that gentleman are slowing things down.

The 22 Talon has had mixed success, but seems extremely weight/CG sensitive, and since they are no longer owned by Screaming Eagle boats, I have No idea where you’d get a new one.

Are you considering used at all?

73mandella

Reaction score
Mandella...potato chip boat, really? You can't get much more rock solid.

73mandella

Reaction score
I took his comment to mean that those boats mentioned are examples of rock solid, but potatoes chips.

Sent From Tapatalk

After reading it again, you could be right! What's the carpenter's motto, measure twice, cut once. I may have to read twice before I post a comment. Thanks!

Last edited:

lenmann

Reaction score
I think Corson's Liberators are as close to the ideal you are talking about. There just aren't very many NEW sub 24' performance outboards being built and his price point and delivery timelines look really attractive. The blue/gray/white 450 boat he just finished is the best I have seen out of his shop so far. Not fully west coast (DCB, KMG, Big E) design and build quality but getting much closer, certainly highly functional, and that has to be one hell of a fun boat.

I boated a Mach 22 with twin 280's for 3 years on Shasta and sold it last year. Bucket list boat for me and soooo damn much fun! Tied to a houseboat like your program. High performance two stroke outboards are a whole deal unto themselves. You can't beat the performance, but finding high octane fuel, mixing oil, dealing with cold water temps, and a high idle RPM around the docks create an interesting set of recreational boating challenges to say the least. The new Merc V-8's make all of that go away, but you cant really run two of them on a little boat. Hence the big single 450 Liberator looks pretty damn good.

All that said, I am building a v-drive Schiada RC right now. Certainly another bucket list boat. Hoping to get it wet this summer, lots of work left to do. My next bucket list boat is probably a 255 Speedster with twin 300's.

KingofBeers

Reaction score
Short of Randy Corson, I may possibly have the most time in a v8 Liberator. From what it sounds like you are looking for I think the 300R Liberator fits the bill. Its been a great boat. 100+mph with the right prop and not so light and "potato chipy" that things get dicey with a little wind chop mixed in with cruiser wakes. Feel free to DM me and i'll give you my phone number if you have any questions about them.

rightytighty

Reaction score
Short of Randy Corson, I may possibly have the most time in a v8 Liberator. From what it sounds like you are looking for I think the 300R Liberator fits the bill. Its been a great boat. 100+mph with the right prop and not so light and "potato chipy" that things get dicey with a little wind chop mixed in with cruiser wakes. Feel free to DM me and i'll give you my phone number if you have any questions about them.
Sounding like I’ve been day dreaming about a winner. Gonna look into the Tuff as well. Thanks for the offer to talk. I’ll be in touch with you if I can’t shake this dang feeling...( of wanting a .... gasp! Outboard....) ...

Last edited:

KingofBeers

Reaction score
Sounding like I’ve been day dreaming about a winner. Gonna look into the Tuff as well. Thanks for the offer to talk. I’ll be in touch with you if I can’t shake this dang feeling...( of wanting a .... gasp! Outboard....) ...
Hell, If you are anywhere near the Sac Delta you can come drive mine or just hang on tight and sit shotty. It was 70+ degrees this weekend...insanity!

rightytighty

Reaction score
I’d say you have some decent options depending upon budget.

I don’t think anyone is going to beat Wildman (Randy Corson) on price with his “Liberators of Florida” boats. They’re not potato chips and they’re not brick sh!thouses either. They run and are nice looking. They’re also about a 30 year old bottom that was great for its time.

The 22 KMG Phantom is the old DCB Mach22 mold, and Kevin has built them with 400R and 450R power. I know the 400R boat ran 107 with 1 person, I don’t recall what @Tony DCB Boats said it ran with the 450R but I wanna say 113?

The 255 Eliminator Speedster fits your brick sh!thouse definition, but has run 90+ with a single 400R. I certainly think it’s capable of about 95 with some more setup, but you’re going to need a 450R to get over 100 with a single.

The 22 Cougar mold is being refurbished somewhere near Chicago, but health issues with that gentleman are slowing things down.

The 22 Talon has had mixed success, but seems extremely weight/CG sensitive, and since they are no longer owned by Screaming Eagle boats, I have No idea where you’d get a new one.

Are you considering used at all?

If I do this, I’m thinking new or almost new.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Have you seen these?

Last edited:

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Here's the build thread. Seems to fit your wants and needs to a T.

rightytighty

Reaction score
Hell, If you are anywhere near the Sac Delta you can come drive mine or just hang on tight and sit shotty. It was 70+ degrees this weekend...insanity!
Here's the build thread. Seems to fit your wants and needs to a T.

Those boats are beautiful but I’ve already got a cruiser (though mine is 565” v drive/t 400). I love my boat, so if I do change it’ll be a big change.
Keep the suggestions coming!

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score

I think it mentions in here he has a race layup and River layup. Race being under 500lbs river being over 600lbs. Don't quote me. This would be fast as hell and probably less than your liberators. Just another option and seems like a very honest and transparent builder.

Duramax

Reaction score
If you are looking at the used market also, you might want to put the 21 Daytona on your list.......ahhh, just went back and said you were going to do new or almost new.

All the boats listed are great, and it's amazing how they handle the water, and with the new tech outboards you will be in heaven.

I love my 21, although the 2.5's are a little finicky and gas mileage sucks, it is still such a great ride. Good luck in your search!

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Nobody mentioned, and I havent seen many of them either, is a Nordic 24 SX. TO me, its a damn good looking boat. Its a bit larger than like a Liberator 22 etc... but, it has WAY more interior room than a Liberator.

rightytighty

Reaction score
Nobody mentioned, and I havent seen many of them either, is a Nordic 24 SX. TO me, its a damn good looking boat. Its a bit larger than like a Liberator 22 etc... but, it has WAY more interior room than a Liberator.
I love the looks of the Nordic, but not the hassle of cleaning ( just seems too big for me)

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score

I was really looking at those 24' several years ago. Heard from VERY reliable sources they just don't work with an outboard, sadly. I saw one half hidden in the Nordic shop & inquired about it but nobody wanted to talk about it. I believe I asked around on here & it was very hush hush. Sad, I think that could've been a perfect boat for a single outboard with full windshield.

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
Speaking of Nordic, I love the Crossfire...

5600A1C4-A65E-4A9E-8439-0F06A8D822A2.jpeg

rightytighty

Reaction score
How’s the Talon 22ss with a big single? Not sure what the center pod does? I’ve heard handles great and handles not great, lol!

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
I have a 25 Daytona with twin OB power now. It is currently listed for sale, and when it sells I will buy 1 of 2 boats. 1 of those options is a Liberator with a single on the back. I have witnessed KOB pilot his liberator though water that was “spirited” to say the least without much issue.

rightytighty

Reaction score
So I talked to Randy today. And then my financial guy...

So what’s the deal with the mercury extended warranty. I assume platinum level but how much does it cost? And is it something I purchase at original date of sale or when standard warranty is ending?