WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

bridgeport "cherrying head"

gottaminute?

Reaction score
anybody ever used one. other than carving a radius on a mold or I suppose you might cut a woodruff style keyway from the top rather than the side. what other uses for this attachment? ( you know...for boat parts.....keeping it relevant over here)
pat

BTW
a friend called and asked if I wanted another mill and the price was right. the attachment is icing on the cupcake.
it looks to have the smaller table but I might swap out my clone for this ol girl.
605544554.jpg
605544580.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You know I have been around machine shops my whole life, and I swear I thought I've seen every attachment there ever was for a Bridgeport.. I have never even heard of that? WTF is it?

RD

gottaminute?

Reaction score
shory video of cherrying attachment

the slotting head could cut slots, keyways and I guess gears with a rotary table. the most information I found on the cherrying head revolved around moldmaking. the spindle moves on a circular motion so it can "scoop" out material using a ball end end mill having an undercut shank. lore is that the cherrying name was based on the shape of the cutting tool(end mill).

Dana757

Reaction score
never seen one before but now I want one. Have no use for it but yeah, still want it.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
never seen one before but now I want one. Have no use for it but yeah, still want it.

Lol I was kinda thinking the same thing.. I put a key way in once with a broach.. we machined a collar with a slot put the broach in the head and started plunging manually..

Dana757

Reaction score
Lol I was kinda thinking the same thing.. I put a key way in once with a broach.. we machined a collar with a slot put the broach in the head and started plunging manually..
that charrying head doesn't look like something you would use for key seats. It looks to only do arcs. You could do radius in the middle of a big flat plate. Use a rotary table and who knows.

gottaminute?

Reaction score
that charrying head doesn't look like something you would use for key seats. It looks to only do arcs. You could do radius in the middle of a big flat plate. Use a rotary table and who knows.
I finally had the chance to pick up the mill and this "unique" attachment. Depending on how you look at machinery, it was either a really good trip or maybe not so good.😁 By the time I pulled out of the driveway my investment had grown by a smidge or two.
3 hydraulic and 2 pneumatic presses, a 4 bank drill press, a burr-king 3 wheel grinder, solvent tank and a rotatating drum abrasive cleaner and a heavy duty, soon to be boat dolly managed to find it's way onto the truck n trailer ................ aaanndd I need to go back and see if I can get the rest of the stuff in one one more trip.
20200614_135638.jpg
20200614_135619.jpg
20200614_135533.jpg

gottaminute?

Reaction score
I finally had the chance to pick up the mill and this "unique" attachment. Depending on how you look at machinery, it was either a really good trip or maybe not so good.😁 By the time I pulled out of the driveway my investment had grown by a smidge or two.
3 hydraulic and 2 pneumatic presses, a 4 bank drill press, a burr-king 3 wheel grinder, solvent tank and a rotatating drum abrasive cleaner and a heavy duty, soon to be boat dolly managed to find it's way onto the truck n trailer ................ aaanndd I need to go back and see if I can get the rest of the stuff in one one more trip. View attachment 888242 View attachment 888243 View attachment 888244
after a couple years of staring at this cherrying head (and the rest of the bridgeport) taking up space in my shop, i traded the mill to a friend. before i would give it to him, I plugged it in, converted it from 480 to 240 so his inverter would run it. i also took the time to rewire and scrape the battleship gray off the important surfaces of the cherrying deal. amazingly it all works without issue. with the stops out, it sweeps full circle so both cocave and convex arcs can be cut. with stops in place the sweep can be controlled. the little thumbwheel in the center adjust the radius of the arc from 0 to i think 2" plus the tool dia?.

now...what do i do with it?
sell, trade, restore it and hang it on one of the other mills as man cave art?

help me out over here
20230409_113835.jpg
20230409_113835.jpg
20230420_155051.jpg

mattyc

Reaction score
after a couple years of staring at this cherrying head (and the rest of the bridgeport) taking up space in my shop, i traded the mill to a friend. before i would give it to him, I plugged it in, converted it from 480 to 240 so his inverter would run it. i also took the time to rewire and scrape the battleship gray off the important surfaces of the cherrying deal. amazingly it all works without issue. with the stops out, it sweeps full circle so both cocave and convex arcs can be cut. with stops in place the sweep can be controlled. the little thumbwheel in the center adjust the radius of the arc from 0 to i think 2" plus the tool dia?.

now...what do i do with it?
sell, trade, restore it and hang it on one of the other mills as man cave art?

help me out over here
View attachment 1221121 View attachment 1221122 View attachment 1221122 View attachment 1221123
Hey Pat, will that head mount on most Bridgeport's? What's it take to set up?

gottaminute?

Reaction score
Hey Pat, will that head mount on most Bridgeport's? What's it take to set up?
any bridgeport with the machined tail opposite the head stock. i don't think I've ever seen one (or a clone) without it.. It slides on and a center bolt clamps it in position. a seperate cord powers the f/r switch on the motor but could be tied into your incoming power too.

other than some smaller collets, it is plug n play. (one collet in it)

pat

gottaminute?

Reaction score
anyone want to make me an offer? i'll never need to use it..
( until 20 minutes after it leaves :) my place. )
pat
it is in big river but can get it to so cal with a little notice.